Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

ALAS NO MIDNIGHT OIL THIS YEAR ON POSTER Options
mccin0000
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 2:48:19 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/5/2016
Posts: 216
Points: -1,806
humanracin wrote:

"I want them (Midnight Oil) at Bluesfest, I really do. I've been talking to them for years about it… I'm sure we’ll talk about next year, we don't have much room left [for this year]." Noble

Not enough room? What the?

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/02/20/exclusive-bluesfest-director-says-neil-young-still-hasnt-given-a-reason-for-cancelling-oz-tour/




We couldn't have the oils and the Lumineers at the same festival.. its not glastonbury!
To me the Lumineers are like Train a few years ago - not sure who is going to see them but I'm sure they'll have and audience
bonddm20020000
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 3:33:02 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/21/2016
Posts: 401
Points: -2,863
humanracin wrote:

"I want them (Midnight Oil) at Bluesfest, I really do. I've been talking to them for years about it… I'm sure we’ll talk about next year, we don't have much room left [for this year]." Noble

Not enough room? What the?

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/02/20/exclusive-bluesfest-director-says-neil-young-still-hasnt-given-a-reason-for-cancelling-oz-tour/



I had exactly the same reaction!
Considering the current number of announced performances is barely enough to fill 4 stages per day, I would've thought you could squeeze them in!
Perhaps Bluesfest spent all of their Neil Young budget and more bringing Buffett out for an exclusive performance?
mpember
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 6:31:24 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/16/2008
Posts: 539
Points: -129
bonddm20020000 wrote:
Considering the current number of announced performances is barely enough to fill 4 stages per day, I would've thought you could squeeze them in!
Perhaps Bluesfest spent all of their Neil Young budget and more bringing Buffett out for an exclusive performance?



Peter Noble wrote:
A lot of people want to use the arts as some sort of ego gratification or things that are not about being creative. When you see something like Midnight Oil coming back, I think it's just a great shot in the arm for the Australian music industry that one of our great bands is happening again.


Does that rule out the chances of any more local acts being added to the lineup? It seems a bit of a backhand to the current generation of artists that PN thinks that the saving of the local industry is the return of Oils.
mgwfall
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 11:00:39 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/6/2009
Posts: 545
Points: -487
humanracin wrote:

"I want them (Midnight Oil) at Bluesfest, I really do. I've been talking to them for years about it… I'm sure we’ll talk about next year, we don't have much room left [for this year]." Noble

Not enough room? What the?

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2017/02/20/exclusive-bluesfest-director-says-neil-young-still-hasnt-given-a-reason-for-cancelling-oz-tour/




Hope that means a big final announcement coming up if no room left for Midnight Oil. As you suggest, with what we have (& I'm on the side of liking the line up, lots of good stuff, repeat & new to see), there are a few glaringly unfilled spots.
angrymx
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:31:16 AM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/26/2013
Posts: 19
Points: 57
Now would only be guessing that the midnight oil wanted a lot of money and headliner status! So while they go on their "Delusions of Grandeur Tour" there is a lot of great aussie bands pounding this country at the moment. Russel Morris was a stand out act last year so bring on the tried and true bands who are the real "Stories of our Lives".Cadd,jets,braithwaite,finn,tattoo,dragon,camilleri,angels. Still love aussie music!!!
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:39:17 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/24/2011
Posts: 989
Points: -2,628
Location: Northern NSW
angrymx wrote:
Now would only be guessing that the midnight oil wanted a lot of money and headliner status! So while they go on their "Delusions of Grandeur Tour" there is a lot of great aussie bands pounding this country at the moment. Russel Morris was a stand out act last year so bring on the tried and true bands who are the real "Stories of our Lives".Cadd,jets,braithwaite,finn,tattoo,dragon,camilleri,angels. Still love aussie music!!!


Agree and throw in Richard Clapton as well.
bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:43:41 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2011
Posts: 903
Points: 393
Dear angrymx
I respectfully disagree with your comments regarding Midnight Oil.

When they go low-we go high.
ohare14
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:49:44 AM
Rank: Newbie
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/21/2017
Posts: 4
Points: 12
I've just counted 59 acts so far for 2017, and roughly 84 for 2016, there'd better be a lot more artist announcements coming.
mccin0000
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:09:42 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/5/2016
Posts: 216
Points: -1,806
Most Aussie acts never grow past the RSL type $20 entry no record deal kind of acts. We can thank Bob Carr for saturating the pubs with Pokies and destroying families and culture and killing live music in this country. If we look at it Australia was on its way to creating some great acts - now its all one album specials and forgotten tomorrow.

Nowhere for bands to gain a cult following and practice their chops. We look to bands like the oils and chisel to remind us of how good things could have been. Triple J plays some real shite 24/7 - some kid with garage band making music out of his bedroom just a bunch of noises and triple J calling him a genius - Australian music is dead - Pokies killed the scene and there is no turning back as this government is hooked on the machines and they wont be going anywhere.

Look at the Hunter to any outsider its the perfect place for some home grown acts. Instead $8000 a minute in put through pokies (fact). You want stress relief - you want to go let your hair down and watch a band - you cant - but you can do $8 slaps.

Remember when Homebake was a festival. Its all over. Look out for the powderfinger "reunion" tour coming up next....
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:36:57 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/19/2008
Posts: 3,664
Points: 8,772
Location: 46* South
bucetti1 wrote:
Dear angrymx
I respectfully disagree with your comments regarding Midnight Oil.

The trolls on this forum outnumber the non trolls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:17:19 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/26/2008
Posts: 866
Points: -573
TheLoneRanger wrote:
bucetti1 wrote:
Dear angrymx
I respectfully disagree with your comments regarding Midnight Oil.

The trolls on this forum outnumber the non trolls.



Shut the forum down!!!! FACEBOOK


Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
eileenk9
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:30:38 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/24/2011
Posts: 989
Points: -2,628
Location: Northern NSW
ohare14 wrote:
I've just counted 59 acts so far for 2017, and roughly 84 for 2016, there'd better be a lot more artist announcements coming.


Yeah.. very strange.
bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:35:41 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2011
Posts: 903
Points: 393
Plenty of time
The festival is in April.
Just be patient.

When they go low-we go high.
mccin0000
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:07:36 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/5/2016
Posts: 216
Points: -1,806
skot20_58 wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:
bucetti1 wrote:
Dear angrymx
I respectfully disagree with your comments regarding Midnight Oil.

The trolls on this forum outnumber the non trolls.



Shut the forum down!!!! FACEBOOK


yeah the BF facebook page is awesome - some real banter there.... most posts are of the 3 word variety like yay and lol... and then there's....

Phil Birch-marston
Phil Birch-marston One of the top reasons I am really hanging out for this year Bluesfest. Rhiannon Giddens is someone unique, who brings music that creates magic in your head.
1 · February 18 at 7:06pm

Quentin Holt
Quentin Holt Brown chick with a banjo, she better be good.
February 19 at 11:35am

I doubt very much that Quentin posts on this forum... I'm sure he writes for the telegraph.
bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 3:45:01 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/21/2016
Posts: 401
Points: -2,863
bucetti1 wrote:
Plenty of time
The festival is in April.
Just be patient.

What about people who bought single day tix for the Monday?
Still no communication regarding a replacement for Barry Gibb.

humanracin
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:02:16 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2010
Posts: 362
Points: 530
bonddm20020000 wrote:
bucetti1 wrote:
Plenty of time
The festival is in April.
Just be patient.

What about people who bought single day tix for the Monday?
Still no communication regarding a replacement for Barry Gibb.



Its quite strange.
I guess most people would have already asked for refunds given that Bluesfest have remained so quiet about any replacements.
At this stage I'm not expecting any replacement for Barry, they moved Zac Brown from Saturday to Monday so I guess that's the replacement?
For me Patti Smith is the only decent "headline" act out of the 5 days.
Oh there's Santana too but he doesn't really do anything for me...
bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:11:34 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2011
Posts: 903
Points: 393
I agree
It's messy,unfortunate and disappointing for those who purchased tickets specifically for Neil and Barry.

When they go low-we go high.
bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:11:47 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/21/2016
Posts: 401
Points: -2,863
humanracin wrote:
bonddm20020000 wrote:
bucetti1 wrote:
Plenty of time
The festival is in April.
Just be patient.

What about people who bought single day tix for the Monday?
Still no communication regarding a replacement for Barry Gibb.



Its quite strange.
I guess most people would have already asked for refunds given that Bluesfest have remained so quiet about any replacements.
At this stage I'm not expecting any replacement for Barry, they moved Zac Brown from Saturday to Monday so I guess that's the replacement?
For me Patti Smith is the only decent "headline" act out of the 5 days.
Oh there's Santana too but he doesn't really do anything for me...

I think Zac was moved before Barry cancelled.
bonddm20020000
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:18:04 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/21/2016
Posts: 401
Points: -2,863
I burnt Santana in 2013 to watch these guys instead.
See if you can work out which other band 3 of 'em play in!
Wedding Cake Island - The Break
regards
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:01:41 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 523
Points: 676
TheLoneRanger wrote:
bucetti1 wrote:
Dear angrymx
I respectfully disagree with your comments regarding Midnight Oil.

The trolls on this forum outnumber the non trolls.


I have always like Midnight Oil and saw them a lot back in their early days.

I think this guys was just saying what he thinks, and don't think it was troll like.

And I don't agree with him

But everyone is allowed to have an opinion.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

SoClean Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
This page was generated in 0.181 seconds.