Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Luluc - Brisbane - Black Bear Lodge 3 December 2014 - review Options
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 10:24:31 AM

Groups: Member

Hi all

I have loved Luluc for a couple of years now, and when Passerby came out, it quickly became and still is my album of 2014.

I was most excited to be seeing them in one of my favourite Brisbane venues (the former Troubadour, now Black Bear Lodge).

Despite following them on CD, vinyl and streaming, I didn't know what to expect live, this was my first chance to see them.

I can sum up their gig in one word - WOW!

If you are familiar with Luluc's music, you will be so, so please to see them live if you get the chance.

Zoe Randall's achingly beautiful lyrics, written so openly and honestly, sound truly beautiful when you hear her sing them live.
The pain in her amazingly strong voice is evident and the stories she tells in her lyrics are common themes, but told with interesting phrasing and clever twists on the regular lyrics about loss and love.

Although she sounds nothing like Beth Gibbons, I was reminded of the openness, the beauty, and the amazing strength when listening to Luluc (Portishead live is a thing to experience)
I'd never compare the two bands musically, but live, both of these women are in total control and exude power, sorrow, pain and beauty.

Steve Hassett's harmonies are also absolutely pitch perfect and a joy to hear live.
They compliment each other so well, they sound like brother and sister.

Their guitar work (acoustic, electric and Hassett occasionally on bass) was also a delight, restrained but let go when needed.
And, Randall's 3/4 size acoustic guitar suited her tiny stature.

Anyway, this was probably the best live set from someone I was seeing for the first time for some years.

Lulu would be a fantastic inclusion for Bluesfest.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
tedhadson
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 12:36:28 PM

I was also at Luluc There is nothing I can add to your review. I was talking to them after the show and they were telling me they stayed with Lucinda Williams for two weeks before returning to Australia. For those who have not heard Luluc you could possibly think Cowboy Junkies? A haunting sound. Yes it is a great venue. I have booked for Lachlan Brian, Alyce Simmonds and two English artists for January 28. The Black Bear Lodge also has the best beer in town.
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 12:49:49 PM

tedhadson wrote:
I was also at Luluc There is nothing I can add to your review. I was talking to them after the show and they were telling me they stayed with Lucinda Williams for two weeks before returning to Australia. For those who have not heard Luluc you could possibly think Cowboy Junkies? A haunting sound. Yes it is a great venue. I have booked for Lachlan Brian, Alyce Simmonds and two English artists for January 28. The Black Bear Lodge also has the best beer in town.

Didn't she let them use her studio to record Passerby?

I have seen a few videos with them playing and they have Dressner playing keys with them, not a bad supporter eh?
I am a The National fan, and a Lucinda Williams fan, so this is like a meeting of all the things I like right in one band!

I had quick chat too, my partner bought a physical copy of the first album so we could get signatures on it.

Zoe and Steve are both extremely friendly and humble. Good people.
Great band.
I want to see them again, make it happen Peter Noble!!!

tedhadson
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 12:14:31 AM

Luluc is supporting First Aid Kit a the Tivoli in Brisbane on March 12.
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 6:09:50 AM

tedhadson wrote:
Luluc is supporting First Aid Kit a the Tivoli in Brisbane on March 12.

Yes I have a ticket to that.
Or, to quote the dude -
"I'll be there man."

tedhadson
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2014 6:02:18 PM

Likewise