Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

maybe the new generation needs a couple of headbutts, just to keep them in line. Options
jackfinn
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:56:50 AM
Groups: Member

they just seem to have no fear at all i know deep in my heart that when i was there age a "crowd controller" would have knocked out your two front teeth, i saw 2 fourteen year old boys trying to pick a fight with a 120kg bouncer and that was not the most embrassing bit, the bouncer had to just take there shit... bring back the biff
Always28
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:31:29 PM

I had a 20 something girl try to push my wife over to get to the front of Crossroads for Booker T, so I asked her if her idea of fairness was for us to walk in the rain from town, plough through the mud to get to the tent at midday so that she could turn up at 5 o'clock and claim our spot. The irony seemed to miss her.
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:49:10 PM

Too right - when I first started out at gigs and festivals etc, I was scared shitless of most of the older portion of the crowd. I didn't see it as my right to treat everything as my personal playground, it was a privilege that I got to be there and "pay my dues" as an attendee. But then, I've only ever gone to see bands because I wanted to watch the band; can't quite relate to the "gig as background noise to our own party" approach........

Ahh, it is always fun to get out a few little rants about the "youth of today" post-festival. I think that the MoJJJo "precinct" does a pretty effective job of keeping the 2 elements of the festival clear cut, though a few crossovers tend to stand out and leave a bitter taste.
Rabbitoh_1969
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:57:51 PM

I can't agree more! Myself and some friends were in the second row for Tim Finn when halfway through his set three young ladies decided it was their God given right to push in front of us. Usually I'm a placid person but maybe the fact that I had got to the gig early to secure a good spot and my feet and legs were killing me from walking home the previous night in gumboots caused me to snap. I pushed the girl who had stood in front of me blocking my entire view to the side. When she turned around to argue with me I told her calmly "I can't see". I think she realised I meant business and didn't try any further antics. However, it was amusing to watch their blank faces when Tim played "Made My Day", or any non-Crowded House tune ... they had no idea. Maybe we should just issue them with a red card stating "Return to Mojo Stage".
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:20:36 PM

I was in the second row at the first Sonny Landreth gig with a short girl at the rails in front of me.

She left and I let another short girl take her place.

Mistake.

A 6 ft plus boyfriend then appeared complete with hat,and stood behind her,and in front of me.

Although annoyed,I kept my mouth shut and moved to the right to see past him.

He then left,which was good.

But he then reappeared after his slash/bar visit,with another can of beer,and stood in front of me again.

I was quite annoyed and nutted off at him and touched his hat.

"It's a paddock" he said.

"No its not" I said "It's a tent with defined parameters"

I don't mind people with caps on,but wide brimmed hats on a tall person I find a bit primitive.

I also feel sorry for short people who have a real battle to see anything.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
madameshawshank
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:56:05 PM

perhaps all this happens at Big Day Out etc...rather than battle the pusher inners...I either get to the front early..as in REALLY front...or watch from the side...'n don't get me going on those who carry on full loud conversations when someone is performing...I asked one group to tone it down..got looks like I was from outer space..I thought I'll either get hit or ...who knows...after a while they left...why come to a music festival if you don't want to listen to music..perhaps Mr Noble could put up a big open air booze tent...that way the drunks could band together...
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:01:40 PM

I was sitting in the front row by myself at the first Old Spice Boys gig,and these two girls sitting just behind and to my left,talked the whole way through the gig.

I should have nutted off at them but was in a good mood at the time.

They were just "squatting" there,with obviously no interest in the music.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
katieforfree
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:01:17 PM

The most annoying thing at this festival was the talking during the music. The people involved were not even looking at the acts. When my sister asked two blokes to stop talking they said it was a free festival and they could do as they liked. Some of the talking was during acoustic style acts where the atmosphere is created and adds to the experience. Men chatting up girls does not help. This was by far the worst festival where this happened.
jarryd987
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:19:56 PM

katieforfree wrote:
The most annoying thing at this festival was the talking during the music. The people involved were not even looking at the acts. When my sister asked two blokes to stop talking they said it was a free festival and they could do as they liked. Some of the talking was during acoustic style acts where the atmosphere is created and adds to the experience. Men chatting up girls does not help. This was by far the worst festival where this happened.

Paul Kelly suffered this pretty bad. Felt sorry for him. My girlfriend met him at the signing tent afterwards and said he didn't seem very happy at all. Perhaps this is why...
lovemusic
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:18:59 PM

how about a dance tent where they can go and talk and dance doesnt effect djs as much and music is loud
mpember
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 5:50:08 PM

Talking aside, my most memorable disruption was the kid sitting at the back of crossroads with a tambourine and no sense of rhythm. For most of the festival, this kid sat in a chair towards the back of crossroads and played over the acts on stage.
RaucousReg
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 6:08:25 PM

lovemusic wrote:
how about a dance tent where they can go and talk and dance doesnt effect djs as much and music is loud

... or perhaps a parrallel doof somewhere in the hills?

namaste
RR
hobbitaurus
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 3:22:26 AM

Or take it back to Red Devil so 1) the number of tools is drastically reduced, and 2) they don't immediately draw a parallel with Splendor in the Grass.

Wonder how many tickets will be sold for Tyagarah...