Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Artists repeating at Bluesfest - from Peter Noble Festival Director Options
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 2:14:40 PM
Groups: Administration

Here at Bluesfest I am attempting to deliver a mix of the best artists available on a number of levels, this includes artists who are popular and sell the tickets to make
Bluesfest viable, as well as to present new artists, and to cover our festivalgoers tastes.
This is not an easy task - it depends on artist availability, their guarantee requirements, ability to tour on a viable level - so many things.

When an artist such as Gary Clark jr, reports he wants to come and play Bluesfest 3 times, on an almost 'artist in residence' basis - of course I am going to jump at this opportunity, knowing full well
he played Bluesfest 2014. However, he is also one of, if not, THE hottest new artist in Blues today - to me this is a no brainer. Same with Beth Hart, her 2014 performance DEMANDED a return as soon as possible. How can anyone dispute this - unless you simply were not AT Bluesfest this year.
Michael Franti has not been available to play Bluesfest for three years prior to this years performance - this year he was on fire - and again, I say he is possibly the Best festival artist on the planet for mine, he ignites an audience, and leaves it in a joyful, uplifted almost transcendental state, and, with his Soulshine Festival will introduce a whole new concept to Bluesfest 2015
The reformation of Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals, and their wanting to play Bluesfest for their first major performance is an honour, and shows how highly he holds his history with us, as well as Bluesfest audiences. This premiere could easily have occurred at Coachella, Bonnaroo or Glastonbury festival. It is a coup for Bluesfest - and something we are proud to have achieved for our audience.

Other artists play Bluesfest every 2, 3 or 4 years - such as Xavier Rudd, who, in my humble opinion is doing his best most creative work in his career right now. He simply CAN move his audience to tears, as he did at The Boomerang festival. An absolutley stunning Australian artist at the top of his game.
Zac Brown Band has gone to be one of the top 10 grossing bands in the US since he last played Bluesfest in 2013. They are at No 10 this week on the Pollstarpro list of top grossing bands in the US.

All the above artists more than qualify to return based on the statements above, in my estimation as festival director.

They are the Music Makers - that is the classic Blues artists who comprise the Music Maker group who perform yearly at Bluesfest every year with a different group of musicians in the frontline - and again I am proud to support Tim Duffy from Music Maker and his selfless work to cause classic artists who otherwise risk obscurity to be seen and heard. This is the beginning of our second decade working together, and I KNOW, this will continue to be one of Bluesfest's highlights once again - presenting absolutely stunning performances of great legendary Blues artists. this is truly about Keeping the Blues Alive.

Playing For Change will return for the third year in a row. This is a GREAT band, made up of street musicians from all over the world - who come together ONLY for events like Bluesfest - and to present their mission also to build music schools all over the world in third world countries to literally give children the skills to play their way out of poverty. Please drop by their stand at Bluesfest, learn more about them, become involved, get on board - let's build a better world - inch by inch - day by day. Playing for Change are currently working toward starting a music school in Bali s for kids there to get the skills they can be taught in music to give them something they can take forward in life.
Mavis Staples is returning after 2 years, so is Trombone Shorty and Jimmy Cliff - each one for a special reason - Mavis and Jimmy are sensational live and genre defining legendary artists both reaching the latter years of their stellar careers - and I will continue to present them for as long as they want to return to Bluesfest - they ARE the greats - there is no apology whatsoever in presenting them at Bluesfest - the opposite in fact - we are humbled by their ongoing support and praise of the event.
Trombone Shorty is the future of Roots music - a young genre bending artist - who has now replaced the Neville Brothers as the closing artist of New Orleans Jazzfest yearly - to miss his performance next year at Bluesfest is to miss a future GREAT of the music we love, in his prime and fully in development to legendary status.

There are many, many, many artists who are performing at Bluesfest 2015 for the first time, or the first time in many years- around 40 announced so far with many more announcements to come.
You only need to refer to the artists announced to see Bluesfest 2015 has already announced one of our best lineups - after only 3 announcements.

Many people, scores in fact, have listed next years festival as the best bill currently announced anywhere in the world.

I remain a little, well more than a little, disappointed in Marty Jones recent editorial in the current issue of Rhythms bi monthly magazine.
My association with Rhythms goes back to it's beginnings - and a 20 years + association with it's founder Brian Wise - and a much shorter one with Marty who took over the mag a few years back when he bought it from Brian. Bluesfest & Rhythms grew up together - both championing Roots music - and fighting to survive for so many years.
Marty is yet to be given by me, the respect that Brian Wise built over decades - and I still view him a little as the new boy on the Rhythms block, for mine still building credibility.
You can buy this great magazine - but in the end, can you take it forward and continue it's greatness as created by it's founder remains the question for me.

Marty, in a thinly veiled editorial describes festivals as 'predictable, having a 'lack of imagination', he goes on to say it is 'disheartening' seeing the same Australian and international artists playing the same festivals 'year after year', whilst espousing Rhythms magazine's virtues stating Rhythms success stands on 'credibility' and inferring through his editorial that the festivals he refers to are losing theirs in his estimation- he goes on by stating that in Rhythms case bigger is not better - and linking that thinking to other new festivals such as the recent Love Police event - Out on The Weekend - a festival of Americana music which recently occurred in Melbourne.
Marty goes on to say that 'conservative, unimaginative programming', is going to cost festivals.

It is not abundantly clear in his editorial which exact festivals Marty is referring to - although as he specifically refers to Womadelaide, Port Fairy and Bluesfest as presenting a 'fairly predictable balance of the tried and trusted' , it seems these three events are the ones he is singling out for his damnations.

I state here that my relationship with Brian Wise - the founder of Rhythms was a great one - and that I have not achieved that level of relationship with Marty. Further, I DID pull Bluesfest advertising from Rhythms last year for a number of issues, due to what I believe was poor coverage of the Boomerang festival, the indigenous festival, held at the Bluesfest site last October.
The reasons Boomerang did not receive the coverage I believe it most certainly deserved, as outlined to me, were not acceptable - without going into detail here. However, for me, they struck at the heart of Rhythms impartiality in providing it's editorial content to it's readers.
Rhythms were not invited to Bluesfest 2014 to do the artist Q&A sessions they had been doing for the past few years, or to do the programme which they had been doing , it seems like, forever- and our relationship, for the record, although cordial, is light years from where it was when Brian was the editor.
I think Marty has delivered a fairly negative editorial, and one I would be prepared to take part in a rebuttal should Marty be prepared to grant me the equal opportunity in Rhythms to take him to task.
Surely as an event that has grown up beside Rhythms, and has been it's most prolific advertiser for over 2 decades, I as festival director of Bluesfest, deserve no less.
I issue that challenge through Bluesfest's forum today - and trust readers who are also Rhythms readers to pass this information on to them.
In the meantime, I fully believe, that the most artistically challenging Bluesfest is the next one, and we are currently meeting that challenge. We have had some great years especially the 2011, 2013 and 2014 festivals recently. It is always a challenge to build on this - and I continue to welcome that opportunity

Thanks for reading - especially if you got this far

Peter Noble
Festival Director
Bluesfest
skot20_58
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 2:26:28 PM
Groups: Member

Boooooooom!!!!! :)

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
skot20_58
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 2:42:21 PM

Is this a sign? Are ticket sales struggling? I don't get the justification and explanations from bluesfest all of a sudden? Am I reading into this to much?

Dear Skot,
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 3:20:04 PM

Thanks Peter
Confirms my suspicion from the first post of a commercial reason for the observations, and my point of Bluesfest is a multi tent gig. Should someone find one stage a little deja vue there are always options and unknown artists to try. Keep up the good work Mr Noble.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
bucetti1
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 3:36:00 PM

I have to confess.
Gary playing 3 times is brilliant.
Beth's performances this year were spine tingling.
All we need now is for Billy Bragg,C.W Stoneking,Claude Hay and Jeff Lang to be announced
and that will do me .
At the price of a pre early bird ticket,Bluesfest is one of the pre eminent music festivals in the world.
Would I like Rythms(to which I subscribe) and Bluesfest to be pals-yes of course.I still love both.

When they go low-we go high.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 3:44:17 PM
Groups: Administration

No Skot,
In fact as Bluesfest is well over 60% sold out currently - don't leave it until too late to buy your tickets - with the next announcement featuring a genuine Rock Blues Superstar.
Read Rhythms - their editorial, might I call it RANT - toward Womadelaide, Port Fairy Festival and Bluesfest - is in my opinion - a cheap shot by their editor - and these festivals demand more respect from him for what they have given to Arts & Culture in this country.

I am simply calling him out
As his editorial should not go unchallenged.
It is grossly offensive and unfair toward these great events

Peter Noble

Festival Director
skot20_58
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 3:47:02 PM

[quote=bluesfestadmin]No Skot,
In fact as Bluesfest is well over 60% sold out currently - don't leave it until too late to buy your tickets - with the next announcement featuring a genuine Rock Blues Superstar.
Read Rhythms - their editorial, might I call it RANT - toward Womadelaide, Port Fairy Festival and Bluesfest - is in my opinion - a cheap shot by their editor - and these festivals demand more respect from him for what they have given to Arts & Culture in this country.

I am simply calling him out
As his editorial should not go unchallenged.
It is grossly offensive and unfair toward these great events

Peter Noble

Festival Director[/quote

I purchased my ticket before the first anouncement :) I trust bluesfest to deliver a great lineup every year :) good to hear it's going strong.

Dear Skot,
bambambam
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 5:26:27 PM

I only ever read Rhythms once a year when you gave it to us for free at the gate.
Magazines and newspapers are struggling all over the world right now.
An extremely bad business decision of Rhythm's to alienate their biggest supporter.
Oh Well, as my mate Steve would say "You get that on the big jobs."

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
Marie5
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 5:36:57 PM

Think I was the first to request Zac Brown Band - thank u Peter N for bringing them out in 2013. That night when they were on before Bonnie Raitt and then Paul Simon in 2013 - truly one of the best.....

Just back from an 8 week o/seas holiday and I can say - all the musos (especially in Ireland) knew all about the Bluesfest ('and how can we get to play there') People in Turkey- Greece -Italy & Ireland all spoke about B/B Bluesfest as one of the things on their bucketlist (think they what they said!)

Anyway - we caught some fantastic music

Anyone who poo poos the Bluesfest maybe a bit green - or jealous.

on another note

how about a return of Hot Club of Cowtown & my personal favourites (who have not yet made an appearance) Truckstop Honeymoon.......

saw Amber Lawrence at Paterson Hall last night - great voice and had some beaut stories to tell. also would love to see the Davidson Brothers (best bluegrass boys u can ever hear)

paddle faster I hear banjo music ............ (I know but just wanted to get my requests in)

tonyivits
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 7:50:03 PM

It's a pity that there is a relationship rupture between BF and Rhythms Magazine. Both have contributed immensely to my musical knowledge and enjoyment .

I read Martin Jones' article and was puzzled by his criticisms of the lineups of the bigger festivals .I have not attended Womadelaide or Port Fairy so I cannot comment on their recent lineups . I have attended the last four Bluefests and have tickets for 2015 . I feel that the mix of previous artists and new artists is pretty spot on and enjoy the chance to see legends and lesser known musicians at the same festival .
bazcaz
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 9:32:01 PM

The constant criticism of Bluesfest annoucments really annoys me
All of the Bluesfest knockers have tunnel vision and cannot see the bigger picture.
Bluesfest last year had more 'Blues' than the Chicago blues festival....yet was still criticized....not enough blues
The 'Blues' artists already announced are the worlds best.(so why wouldn't you bring them back)
For me to see crowds of 'young people' at the Music Maker revue gigs puts a smile on my face and theirs....to expose 'young music festival goers who would see Michael Franti to Blues Legends and the new breed such as Gary Clark Jnr to me is what 'Keeping the blues alive is'
What Bluesfest is doing no one else has the vision to do.
Look at the bigger picture and stop complaining

Music with PASSION Music with SOUL Music that MATTERS
ScottM
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 9:47:18 PM

Regardless of where one falls on the topic, I think it's great to have a festival where the director/owner makes use of the available communication channels to engage with the patrons on this level. Appreciate the insight and broader context Peter.
mpember
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2014 10:27:53 PM

ScottM wrote:
Regardless of where one falls on the topic, I think it's great to have a festival where the director/owner makes use of the available communication channels to engage with the patrons on this level. Appreciate the insight and broader context Peter.

I agree. Having not read the original article, I can't comment on the specifics. I mentioned in another thread, I can understand the reasons why BF would bring back successful artists from previous festivals. Unless Marty fells like joining the conversation, I suspect that this thread will quite quickly turn into a long string of "me too" posts. It would be interesting to see if posting the same statement to twitter / fb will attract the same type of response from an audience who are more likely to post dissenting views.
pod2006
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 6:27:19 AM

The one good thing about no Rhythm magazine this year was not having to have it in my side pocket on Thursday. The bad things however were multiple. Traditionally, it had been the only reading matter from Thursday to Tuesday. It focussed the focus on BF, whilst impressing with its other articles. One copy for the loo at pod HQ; and a cleaner more enduring copy for the memories. I hope the dialogue between Mr Noble and Rhythms can remain constructive. The past association was a +ve for both.

2 years ago, I missed most of Jimmy Cliff because Playing for Change were on my unmissable. The return of Jimmy will remedy this past clash. Frank Turner was one of my faves from a few years back. Great to see him back. Gary Clarke Jnr was the star of 2014- and to watch a group of Canadians I kept bumping into over the fest shimmy up to the front of Jambalaya and watch in awe (as opposed to seeing him in some big stadium) was treat. David Gray was fantastic back in 2006; Paola Nuttini in 2007. I like to see Paul Kelly evolve and because my taste has done likewise some of the repeat performers have bubbled to the top of my must see list for this year. Yes, there is a little bit sameness about the tapestry of performers, but it is the new threads that highlight; and some of the old threads in a different mood or light. There can only be so many acts you can see. It's a bit like a Sunday buffet. Same fare week in week out, but sometimes you go for the gluttony of choice, other times you can be discerning and cherrypick. This year looks like a cherry pick year for me.
phobkirk
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 8:45:46 AM

We have been to Bluesfest for the last 5 years with the whole family, including three sons who have grown up on the festival. We are so pleased that you managed to get some artists back again, and I know we will discover new artists again this year. That is all part of the Bluesfest magic - love it.
timcook123
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 9:42:10 AM

tonyivits wrote:
It's a pity that there is a relationship rupture between BF and Rhythms Magazine. Both have contributed immensely to my musical knowledge and enjoyment .

I read Martin Jones' article and was puzzled by his criticisms of the lineups of the bigger festivals .I have not attended Womadelaide or Port Fairy so I cannot comment on their recent lineups . I have attended the last four Bluefests and have tickets for 2015 . I feel that the mix of previous artists and new artists is pretty spot on and enjoy the chance to see legends and lesser known musicians at the same festival .

Hey Tony are you from Umina Beach?

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
timcook123
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 9:44:01 AM

I love seeing repeat bands at blues fest.

quite often I discover a new love for a band I hadn't heard much of at Bluesfest and when they come back I know all the songs and the shows are even more enjoyable!!

It would be stupid to keep the Great artists away just because they have played before!

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
picks44
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 10:34:18 AM

Some of the best acts I have seen over the past four years have been in no particulat order - Beth Hart, Jake Shimabukuro, Trombone Shorty, Michael Franti, Gary Clark Jr. Absolute surprises whose performances gave me goosebumps! They are now regularly on my play list! Jimmy Cliff and Tony Joe White also put a smile on my dial. To have them back again together in 2015 exceeds my wildest expectations.

One thing howver is for sure and certain - at BF in 2015 I'll discover new acts that for a variety of reasons I haven't explored before. The choice of artists over ten-twelve hours a day for five days and across all stages often does my head in. That is the magic of the place!!

Predictable? That criticism can only be levelled by someone that hasn't been there to make 'sophie's choice' decisions as to which incredibly good acts to watch!

Peter and Martin both have a right to challenge and engage in robust discussion about festivals that we love if its constructive and for the right reasons! For the good of music I hope BF and Rhythm magazine can reconcile their differences and make it a collective celebration of the art.

Every day above ground is a good day!
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 10:39:24 AM

ScottM wrote:

+1

I have talked things up and down over my years of attending BF and participating in this forum, but as I've said before, best week of the year, every year (every year I go).
I reckon it's great to see Peter Noble chucking his hat in the ring on here, I can imagine the talk in the BF office when some of the stuff that gets said on here is read out loud amongst you all (some stuff from me too I am sure).

I work for a member based organisation and we have frequent laughing / tearing hair out sessions based on member "feedback".

Keep on keeping on Peter, and if you'd just quickly go back through all of MY artist suggestions for the past few years and sort out some of them for next year, that'd be tops, thanks! Whistle

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
skot20_58
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 11:58:04 AM

Peter and Martin both have a right to challenge and engage in robust discussion about festivals that we love if its constructive and for the right reasons! For the good of music I hope BF and Rhythm magazine can reconcile their differences and make it a collective celebration of the art.
[/quote]

By robust you mean shirt front right?

Dear Skot,