Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Over crowded Options
taurus
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:38:48 AM
Groups: Member

We have been coming to bluesfeast as a family for 5 years with our young adult children, it was a holiday we all looked forward to every year. But after the disappointment of the lineup, crowds and drunks, I doubt whether we will be back next year. Can put up with the bad weather, but having to fight your way through the crowds and drunk was and exhausting 5 days, It is not the relaxing festival of old.
Take it back to Red Devil Park and aim in more to the older crowd, there is plenty of festivals out there for the young.
Sorry Peter, this festival is just not the same!
jackfinn
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:44:18 AM

i think that would be a great idea, but it is more of a money grab then a festival at the moment. spendor at easter is the new name that was getting thrown around in the camp area i was swimming in....
alton04
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:02:26 PM

I agree wholly with Taurus, this was our 13th BluesFest and the worst we have ever experienced. Along with the massive crowds there was very little lighting around the site which made it quite dangerous trying to manoeuvre the mud and drunks. I also came prepared for the weather but you would hope that under the tent you would be able to find dry ground - alas not so.
From what I could see, once Pete got our money he didn't give two hoots about our comfort. Having the seating in Jambayla was a joke as you could not get in or out most of the time. That tent is far to small to have all that seating.
Food stall were not up to previous standard, seems they catered for the young crowd with lots of fast food stalls.
Lineup was disappointing as we had seen the majority of the major acts time and time before. Enjoyed what we saw over the 5 days but we didn't find anything that created the "WOW" factor this time around. Not like 2008 when there were so many new and exciting acts.
Pete, if you are reading this please put in some decent infrastructure at the new site if it ever gets off the ground. It look as low if not lower out there than at Belongil Fields so please have some contingenty plans for the weather. Red Devil Park never got anywhere near as bad as Belongil and we had some wet years there as well.
Sorry Pete we probably won't be back!
lmezz
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:55:54 PM

Also agree with Taurus and alton04, my 10th anniversary coming to Bluesfest, wet or dry, the weather doesn't bother me, I know what to expect, it's Easter and it's Byron (it'll rain). After Thurs (for reasons mentioned in the previous blogs) my time at the fest this year was limited to late afternoon to mid evening, apart from Lucinda on Sunday when I walked back to town I left before the main every night and didn't even go Mon, (first day I've ever missed) a short bus queue and a civilised ride (a v drunk young girl vomited on the bus on Thurs) was far more attractive. I haven't been into the Mojo for 3 or 4 years, it has polarised the fest and yes, move the Mojo to Splendour... the 'beer garden' thingee this year reminded me of a scene from Apocalypse Now (an old flick I remember). Maybe I'm just more older and crochety than I thought, it just felt weird this year. Having said that, there was much I enjoyed in the time I was there, Lucinda, Hot Club Cowtown, Watermelon Slim, Sonny Landreth, DBT's, Blind Boys, Terrance Simeon come to mind. Tyagerrah hmmm!
gmclean
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:05:06 AM

I wasn't too bothered by the sheer number in the crowd, once I had a good possi I didn't really want to move around much anyway.

There have been heaps of comments on the annoying drunk young crowd (I've made some 2), which isn't a fault of the organising, and in itself isn't even a massive problem- the attitude is the problem.

I'm only late 20s and remember drinking at my fave concerts growing up, such as sneaking some drinks in to the Guns 'n' Roses gig at Caulder Park age 15. So much fun! However at none of the events I ever went with did I ever ignore there was a band playing and the rest of the crowd might not appreciate me screeching to my mates over it.

This is a problem at all music, street and even art festivals, if kids are only going to get trashed, they may go regardless of MoJJJo is there or not; and even though I didn't spend too much time in MoJo I definitely wouldn't want to loose it.

There is a massive alcohol abuse issue everywhere, my home town (Manly) has mounted police and riot squad on patrol, sometimes even during the week!

Enough with all the out of control drunks everywhere! Go to Nimbin and learn to relax a bit- Or at least keep a bit of a lid on it and give a little respect to all.
E.K
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:09:28 AM
Groups: Guest

My only complaint was the bad lighting at night in and around the tents. There were also some really muddy slippery walking areas in between tents where I couldn't see a thing.
acb
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 9:25:10 PM

I don't mind the younger crowd and agree that bad behaviour was not limited to the Mojo set.

The site did not cope well with the weather conditions but I doubt much more could have been done. The difficult going underfoot meant the crowds were concentrated in the rapidly diminishing "drier" areas. Lighting would have been less of a problem on a dry track also.

Tyagarah will be interesting.....

Andrew

PS: Yes, lmezz, you ARE getting old and crochetty!
pan
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:43:41 PM

Agree but maybe there should be a festival for older people?
There were drunks falling over in the mud, tractors towing cars out of the parking area and the same old acts every year.
Did I really see Bela Fleck, James Brown and ZZ Top here? Not one 'A' list this year.

Brisbane Ent Centre is great for basketball but hopeless for bands.
Maybe the organiser should look at the Euro festival circuit for inspiration? It rains there too!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:11:36 AM

Pan yet another rubbish post.

I am 55 and I had a ball.

North East NSW looks like the West Coast Of NZ.

I do not need a PHD in Physical Geography to work out that it has a high rainfall.

That is why you see cattle and not sheep farmed.

March and April are the wettest months of the year.

Tractors are made for towing.

Better than leaving a car stuck.

Why don't you perform some anti rain dances so that it doesn't rain at Easter.

Yes I saw some drunks having playfights in the mud,and they were having lots of fun.

And the odd kid enjoying a mudroll.

And I found it lots of fun walking around in the puddles and mud.

Maybe you should live in some desert where it never rains and there is nothing to drink.

You are the first poster who has stated that Z Z Top were a class A act at Bluesfest.

Not one class A act this year.

Garbage.

Same old acts every year.

Garbage.

Stay at home and watch T V instead.

Because your musical knowledge can be written on the back of a postage stamp

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
johnnymac
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:04:08 AM

I have finally found the time to drop in my bob's worth..............................................

1) The weather didn't help proceeding but it also didn't hinder me too much from seeing everything I wanted to see.
2) Did ask myself a few times when I was standing in ankle deep water inside a tent what the hell was I doing there (especially the last day!) but when the artist started all was forgotten.
3) Favourite artists, Sonny Landreth, Rodney Crowell, DBT, TJW, Lucinda Williams, Ruthie Foster,Watermelon Slim.
4) Best new finds............Hot Club of Cowtown, Mason Rack, Blues Traveller.
5) Pissed that I missed................Dan Auerbach, Tinarewen, Eugene Hideaway Bridges.
6) Huge Lucinda Williams fan but surprised at her lack of stage presence but then again...I shouldn't have been knowing she has always been completely her own person !!!! And as only she can do, we talked about her till 3AM!
7) I'm one who liked the Drive by Truckers but their sound was rubbish ( maybe the weather?) ....half the thing with the Truckers is their out there lyrics.
8) The youngies didn't piss me off as much as I felt sorry for them, as they were dressed so inappropriately with school ball clothing. ( poor Mum!)
9) There needs to be more lights around the grounds. Getting around in the dark was real hard. My disablity meant that I tried to spend most of my time in one area but from the sound of things that wasn't a bad move.
10) Bingo......you are a legend! We didn't catch up this year but well done on seeing it out.
c0kebloke
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:24:55 AM

I was keeping an eye out but missed you & bob to name another but allways next fest or narooma saw quite a few ive met before on thursday includeing a great bunch that were staying at the same place as myself last year.
As well as rick(i had the hide to ask if it was spelt with a silent p) who was assulted by a drunken irish woman, laughed so much i near busted something.
As he shrugged & looked at me as if to ask advice i yelled"drop her ya wimp" i cant hit a woman he said.
after i told him the only reason you didnt flog her was you knew she would of done you- i love drunken irish woman & pissed scotsmen-2 of my last bf invoved both & cracked me up.
got my room on hold for next year but not sure about the new location -give me b.feilds any day & some reliable transport.
colinsid
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:04:02 PM

I didn't think it was overcrowded I managed to get near the front of Mojo for Dan Auerbach, Fishbone & Spearhead (Thursday). Yes some of the tents were crowded but this had more to do with the chairs & where they were placed, Mojo is always full for large acts & this is expected.
I didn't bother going to see Ben Harper, as I originally wanted to on Saturday, I was resting in the food hall for about 3/4 hour before his gig & there was a laarger steady stream of people heading in that direction. I had been in that area just prior to this & knew there was already a lot of people there so my friends & I decided to see Eugene Hideaway Bridges instead which was not crowded & was a good show.

As for banning younger crowds or an oldies festival, how do you propose to do this? You need a mix of people & artists to keep the festival viable. Smaller festival would mean less facilities including toilets, good food stalls & quality of artists. I did not see the level of drunken people that seem to be refered to, though do have issues with people of any age thinking they can come in late (sometime on the last song of a set) & push their way to the front.

The rain didn't help things this year, making it difficult to get around or just hang out in the open, which made it look more crowded than it actually was. I have been to Bluesfest for 12 years & this was definately the wettest, you usually get some rain but not almost every day. It's why it's so green & lush in that part of the country.

Having said that I don't want to see any increase in numbers next year.

I would suggest that anyone having a major whinge about these issues should not bother coming back as this will leave more room for us & the people who want to go to enjoy good music.
gemshell
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:59:53 PM

All you 'Oldies' out there have forgotten what is like to be young!!

A very telling comment for me was on Friday night, outside of Mojo, a young local couple, Grade 12 at Byron High, came up to me outside the tent and the 'young girl' said to me that when she gets older, she hopes she still loves Live Music.....and I am one of the oldies!! (Mum & Grandmother!!)

Again, I cann't wait till next year!! regardless of who is there and what the sound is like....remember where you are!
cheers
Always28
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 10:17:25 AM

Despite my tag line I live in a 58 year old body and my comment to several of the younger (and really nice) people we spoke was "When we were your age we were doing what you're doing...I just hope that when your my age you'll still be doing what we're doing".
drwildare
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:14:03 PM

It wasnt the Crowd that pissed me off it was the lack of site preparation. I mean you dont put down the pine bark after the rain starts and the patrons come in making it muddy already you put the bark down before the punters come in. Once the ground is chopped up yhere is absolutely no hope. It dont take much sense to see this.

The Dr is in the house
c0kebloke
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 2:04:33 AM

drwildare wrote:
Once the ground is chopped up yhere is absolutely no hope.

Agree Dr & stated the same in the survey on the first day -thursday was looking not to good fri was not so bad sat where woodchips were had water but not so much mud missed sun & monday was a boghole.
Perhaps woodchips could of been put on the worst spots before bf each day then keep doing so over the entire time, we still would have the water but not as much mud.
jafa99
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 8:12:43 PM

c0kebloke wrote:
I was keeping an eye out but missed you & bob to name another but allways next fest or narooma

Yeah, I never spotted you at all, bingo c0kebloke. But if you'd seen me you probably would have seen johnnymac, because I bumped into him all the time.

Bob
c0kebloke
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:33:03 AM

jafa99 wrote:
c0kebloke wrote:
I was keeping an eye out but missed you & bob to name another but allways next fest or narooma

Yeah, I never spotted you at all, bingo c0kebloke. But if you'd seen me you probably would have seen johnnymac, because I bumped into him all the time.

Bob

I only got about thurs- fri & a little on sat as my wheels brokedown sat so after seasick steve i stuck with the jambalaya tent as most of what was being played was ok plus its close to loos food & drinks. It seems i was not the only one that's fest was a little limited given the conditions but it was still worth going.I hope to catch up with you Patrick johnnymac Rick & a few other regular festers at narooma.Will you be going?
jafa99
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:34:06 PM

I probably won't be going to Narooma, but you never know. Depends if there is a big enough attraction. Sardinas was big enough last year but then he was never confirmed.

Which Rick is that you know? Is that Johnnymac's mate from Sydney?

Bob
c0kebloke
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:14:06 PM

jafa99 wrote:
I probably won't be going to Narooma, but you never know. Depends if there is a big enough attraction. Sardinas was big enough last year but then he was never confirmed.

Which Rick is that you know? Is that Johnnymac's mate from Sydney?

Bob

Not sure but i think melbourne met him & a kiwi guy (aparently met them both seperate years over easter but my memory was a little hazy those days,i tend not to over do it these days.) we were at the rails last year & both came over to say hi when a inebriated scotsman joined us when the conversation got quiet he asked if i had a car as he wanted to know if i was interested in doing a ram raid.when i got out of the taxi at narooma i heard someone ask if i wanted to do a ramraid-daja vu-it was Rick