Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Something I had to mention Options
ScottM
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:55:12 PM
Groups: Member

Don't know if anyone was towards the front right of the Jambalaya tent on Monday evening before Drive By Truckers, but what I witnessed was the most random, pathetic, cowardly, immature act of buffoonery in my 6 Blues Festivals. There were 2 girls who had come into the tent (presumably to catch DBT's) and were keeping entirely to themselves, and not particularly in anybody's way. There was a "gentleman" sitting about 20 metres back from them, who'd I'd noticed during a cigarette break was pretty pissed and mucking around a bit. Anyway, for what ever reason one could summon for doing such a thing, he's hopped up and bolted at full speed, crash tackling these 2 girls into the mud. He then just got up and went back to where he was sitting, looking chuffed as if he had done something funny and/or clever. The girls came after him and punched into him a little, before realising the futility and walking off, before the band they came to see even played a note. He then somehow managed to dodge security, who put up a pretty token effort in reprimanding him, and let him be. People like that have no place in a pub, at a festival or anywhere around people who can maintain a basic level of decorum.

My apologies for the long rant, but I thought it was truly pathetic behaviour, and actually ruined my enjoyment of the DBT's following it. My subsequent trip to the toilet clued me on to the fact that seemingly the majority of those who stayed until the last set of the festival were either aggressively intoxicated, or drigged the brink of oblivion. I thought that made it a good time to leave. Sour taste, but what can you do about idiots I guess.....
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:58:25 AM

By theloneranger at 2009-04-15

By theloneranger at 2009-04-15

Hi Scott,

I attended that gig only for the last few songs,but clearly recall the large puddle of water on the front right hand side.

There is a real bad drinking culture down here in what is a frontier society,but my travelling companion who spent alot of time sitting in Jambalaya,was amazed at how much alcohol was consumed by alot of people he observed.

He saw them pissing up all day.

And if you sell drunks booze the problem just gets worse.

I am a pacifist,and have only been punched twice in my life....Once in a game of rugby,and once by a drunk at a camping ground.

I would far rather have a tent full of people smoking dope than a tent full of people pissing up.

Dopeheads don't want to have a scrap with you,but drunks do.

And if you tried to tell the guy off,what do you get ?....a smack in the teeth....The guy should have been charged with assault.

I play it real cool with drunks....and unfortunately there are a lot more of them at Bluesfest than when I first came in 2004.

Whenever I struck them at Bluesfest,I just tried to be friendly to them,and not aggravate them in any way.

There were too many security guards in some places[I saw four at the Cabaret tent where they only needed one],and of course none on the wet side of Crossroads where there were lots of fencejumpers coming over in the male toilet enclosure.

One of the security guards at Cabaret actually did something once...I was having a kip in the sun and was asked whether I had a medical problem.

Australia and New Zealand both have terrible attitudes towards alcohol.

And it is progressively getting worse.

When I walked past Mojo at the end on Sunday...what a horrendous number of cans on the ground in the tent....

My mate observed that they must make huge money out of the bar.

They made not a dollar out of either of us.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
RaucousReg
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:20:42 PM

what about the (caught and evidted) scum who thought it was fun to throw a fullish can of beer at the Blind Boys, narrowly missing Jimmy Carter. I hope his details were taken by BF management and no ore tickets will be sold to him. I also assume charges were laid...

namaste
RR
richo
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:26:57 PM

I assumed I had dreamed that happening, or perhaps it was an optical illusion or something. Man there's some scum out there...