Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Food, drinks and stuff Options
getthisjones
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:30:56 PM
Groups: Member

I've recently booked my first ever ticket to the festival and was quite excited at the prospect.

Having read the seemingly ultra-tight rules and regulations regarding bringing no food etc in to the camping site or even from the main arena to the campsite, I wondered about prices of drinks and what drinks are actually served. As someone who has only lived in Australia for 18 months, I'm eager to find out what's in store at such a highly-regarded festival.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 7:04:27 PM

I recommend the freshly squeezed as you wait lemon or orange juice from the corn cob site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdWjYuwTTrU
"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
Bradders
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 12:09:34 PM

getthisjones wrote:
I've recently booked my first ever ticket to the festival and was quite excited at the prospect.

Having read the seemingly ultra-tight rules and regulations regarding bringing no food etc in to the camping site or even from the main arena to the campsite, I wondered about prices of drinks and what drinks are actually served. As someone who has only lived in Australia for 18 months, I'm eager to find out what's in store at such a highly-regarded festival.

you can bring in as much food as you like to the camping ground... just no glass..
getthisjones
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 4:39:42 PM

OK, thanks for your post. I'll just get to the point which I should have originally. This bit is what I was concerned about.

2. The campground is an ALCOHOL FREE ZONE and is unlicensed and our liquor licence states you can only consume alcohol on the actual Festival site. Do not consume alcohol within the campground. Please be aware of this policy and show respect to other festival patrons. The quiet and order of the festival campground and its neighbourhood will be maintained. No parties will be allowed in the camping area. Breach of this condition WILL result in eviction without refund. After all, everyone needs a good night’s sleep, so all that Bluesfest has to offer can be really enjoyed.

As a Brit, it is a little surprising to see this. As much as you aren't able to take any alcohol in to campsites in European campsites, you are able to buy in the festival and take it to your tent. I think we'll book accommodation around the town. Wouldn't be a festival if there was a curfew. ;)
As it is my 40th, I plan to enjoy it as my birthday should be enjoyed. That is, without causing trouble, making the most of the music and beautiful area but without so many shackles. ;)
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 6:07:43 PM

getthisjones wrote:

2. The campground is an ALCOHOL FREE ZONE and is unlicensed and our liquor licence states you can only consume alcohol on the actual Festival site. Do not consume alcohol within the campground. Please be aware of this policy and show respect to other festival patrons. The quiet and order of the festival campground and its neighbourhood will be maintained. No parties will be allowed in the camping area. Breach of this condition WILL result in eviction without refund. After all, everyone needs a good night’s sleep, so all that Bluesfest has to offer can be really enjoyed.
As a Brit, it is a little surprising to see this. As much as you aren't able to take any alcohol in to campsites in European campsites, you are able to buy in the festival and take it to your tent. I think we'll book accommodation around the town. Wouldn't be a festival if there was a curfew. ;)
As it is my 40th, I plan to enjoy it as my birthday should be enjoyed. That is, without causing trouble, making the most of the music and beautiful area but without so many shackles. ;)

You have twelve hours per day to consume alcohol within the festival site.
Why would you want to continue consuming alcohol after the festival has finished.
Why would you want to consume alcohol before the festival has commenced ?
You define shackles as only being able to consume alcohol for twelve hours per day ?

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
getthisjones
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 6:38:09 PM

But you assume I'm going to start each day exactly the same time as everyone is expected to start. I don't treat it as a training weekend with a start-finish schedule. Most of the acts haven't been announced yet. Some days the highlight for me may not be til the last act.

In answer to your second question - is there a police curfew or a law against it?? I'm European, as I mentioned. I'm not knocking this one as I haven't been to it yet, but the regulations are pretty rigid in comparison to my past experience.
In answer to your last presumptuous question - no, I don't but I'm not use to such a structured timetable. It's quite simple.
getthisjones
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 6:47:22 PM

I'm only doing my homework on it while I have time. Without meaning offence, this is the first multi-day festival I have come across which has grabbed me by the balls since being living in Melbourne.
Each one I've read up on so far which has been in Victoria has either been 12pm-12am on just one day, and the reviews I've read in magazines/online have said that a lot only sell mid-strength lager at high prices. I'm trying to form the best plan possible so that my missus and I can actually enjoy it to the maximum. If people have advice to give, I'd like to hear it.
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 6:48:00 PM
Groups: Administration

Partying in the camp grounds after the festival concludes nightly causes unrest - most people want to go to sleep and not be disturbed by people who want to make noise late at night.
The consumption of alcohol and partying have resulted in both property damage and fights in the past when people would not quieten down when requested by campers who wanted to sleep.
For that reason - we have, after many requests, instituted a no partying in the camp grounds rule after the festival finishes nightly.
If you want to celebrate your birthday in a manner that may disturb others in our campgrounds, we strongly suggest you find alternate accommodation.

We don't want to be the thought police - however, this policy works, and allows the majority of campers to have a more enjoyable festival experience.
Thanks
Bluesfest Forum
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 6:57:53 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10309607/Britain-has-a-drinking-problem-and-it-needs-help.html
The primary reason that most people attend Bluesfest is the quality and quantity of the musical acts on display.
If your intended festival experience is to only catch a headline act,you are best advised to catch a sideshow.

getthisjones
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:05:57 PM

If I wanted to be patronised, pal I'd have gone to church. Thanks for the welcome, you snobby twat.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/majority-of-australians-think-nation-has-problem-with-alcohol-20140326-35gv8.html
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:07:11 AM

http://www.gingernecktar.com.au/
I also recommend the Byron Bay Ginger necktar.
Or ginger & cranberry.
Combined with their Ohm Cookies.
Guaranteed to revitalise and not produce a hangover.

waffles
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:40:44 AM

pretty simple really. in nsw if you have the license to sell alcohol you have to designate the area it is to be consumed in,and you are responsible for that area.hence they say no alcohol is to leave the festival viewing area.they are responsible for patrons behavior inside that area.it would not be the lincensees responsibility for alcohol consumed in the camping area.hence they specify no alcohol to be bought into the camping area.this covers the festival if something should go wrong as a result of alcohol.

ps if you want to buy ginger nectar from the factory in byron bay,i can give you directions.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 9:16:35 AM

Camp ground etiquette
*It needs to be understood that Bluesfest is a five day event, many,many patrons attend the 5 days.
*Family groups are a big part of the attendees
*Older folk are also a big part of the attendees
*The Festival hours are roughly Noon to Midnight
*Sunrise for the 2015 Festival will be Thurs, Fri and Sat 6.56 am
On Sunday and Monday it will be 5.58 !!!!
*It is difficult to remain soundly sleeping once the solar disc illuminates AND warms the tent.
*Many campers enjoy a swim and brunch in town before the start of each program
*Many people are naturally early rises
*Even with the best planning most will be sleep deprived by Festivals end
*The Entry Conditions are clearly printed

It may seem a little restrictive but one tent partying on at 2AM, giving 30 or 40 other tents a display of their untalented, strumming,drumming and catawalling
is really selfish.
The idea to go elsewhere to celebrate is the correct one and I hope getthisjones enjoys the experience to the full.
If booking early it would be possible to have say 2 nights away partying and the remainder taking the cheaper option of camping and sleeping.

Yes I'm reluctantly supporting Sth Sydney

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
getthisjones
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 9:59:29 AM

Thanks for the clear ideas. As I mentioned before, I'm just doing my homework. If people go on holidays nowadays, the most aware of us check things out on Trip Advisor or other sites to anywhere they've never been before. This is what I was trying to do by asking the question. It's a lot of money to spend on five days if you plan it badly (or not at all) and is only two of you on the trip. After all, it only the wife and I going, not a rabble of alcoholics.

I was asking as well for the drinks because I have impaired taste buds, following an accident years ago. So the vile mid-strength lagers that stadia are forced to sell in Melbourne (for sporting events and gigs) would be a big disappointment in a festival atmosphere. Planning to enjoy a big event for me does involve making the most of things but doesn't necessarily mean drinking til I fall over and certainly not getting into brawls, or making a disturbing racket late at night.

Having looked on AirBnb, we'll probably grab somewhere around the town and make a week of it so we can enjoy the beach after the festival has finished. Again, I'm looking forward to it massively and definitely excited for the next round of artist announcements.
JamesG1
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 11:30:44 AM

Dear getthisjones

My advice is to take the advice of "advanced members" with a grain of salt

Secondly. Welcome to the festival. You'll have a great time... impossible not to.

I lived in Europe for 3 years and went to many festivals... it's true licensing and regulations ARE comparatively strict in Australia... there's a rule for everything here.

That being said, the campsite is laid-back and people are genuinely friendly (despite the impression you may have received on this board). Don't bring glass, don't cause trouble (as you said) and don't keep your neighbours up past 1am and you'll be sweet.

cheers
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 4:36:51 PM

Indeed, should anyone take notice of an Advanced Member or Member that conflicts with the published rules will suffer the consequences.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:12:31 PM

bluesfestadmin wrote:
Partying in the camp grounds after the festival concludes nightly causes unrest - most people want to go to sleep and not be disturbed by people who want to make noise late at night.
The consumption of alcohol and partying have resulted in both property damage and fights in the past when people would not quieten down when requested by campers who wanted to sleep.
For that reason - we have, after many requests, instituted a no partying in the camp grounds rule after the festival finishes nightly.
If you want to celebrate your birthday in a manner that may disturb others in our campgrounds, we strongly suggest you find alternate accommodation.

We don't want to be the thought police - however, this policy works, and allows the majority of campers to have a more enjoyable festival experience.
Thanks
Bluesfest Forum

Best to take the advice of the Festival Operators.
Whose advice does not differ from those of the advanced members.

bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 7:05:57 AM

Case closed .

When they go low-we go high.
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:57:45 AM

bucetti1 wrote:
Case closed .

You sound like Lionel Hutz, the law talking guy.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:01:53 AM

More like Raylan Givens from Justified.

When they go low-we go high.