Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Anyone looking for some free drink tickets..ha Options
jackfinn
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:24:48 PM
Groups: Member

on the last night at about 6 0clock i got some tickets at the crossroads and walked next door to have a drink in the bar and they told me they were sold out of the drinks i had just brought tickets for and when i got back to tell them ot turns out that the other line which was long was full of people doing the same thing... nice swindle, felt like being a real jerk, turns out there was plenty of people willing to do it for me....
lewy59
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:28:02 PM

Don't think you are alone there my friend. Me and a mate had a scam run on us as well:

1) Went to buy heavy beer tickets. Was told only Heineken tickets were left at an extra 50c per ticket. Got in the queue only to find any beers you wanted were still available.

2) Bloke in front of us in the queue at Crossroads bar had wallked around from Mojo bar after beign told there was no beer left. He had purchased spirit tickets only to find that Crossroads bar was awash with beer.

3) Bloke and his girlfriend had purchased light beer tickets as they were told that was the only beer left. When they arrived at the bar there was heavy beer galore. Bar staff refused to allow them to buy heavy beer.

The drinks fluctuated throughout the nights as well, being told no more Extra Dry as it was sold out and then within an hour more Extra Dry appears.

All of this is after having to wait up to half an hour for a drink!!

And on top of all of that, they refuse to refund any drink tickets after they are purchased. The amount they make out of drink sales in the 5 days it runs is enough to fund a small country for an entire year. They really need to get their act together. There were never problems like this when it was at Red Devil.

No wonder illicit drug use is rampant at the festival.
jackfinn
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:32:37 AM

well the same thing happened last year. its not hard, if you dont have the grog dont sell the tickets, i think the bar staff must have been talking to the the ticket sales....maybe they need a better way of doing it, its got me stuffed.
richo
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:59:14 AM

I wasn't in this situation, but I'd recommend photocopying your remaining tickets and sending that along with a letter to the organisers requesting a refund because they sold you a product that they weren't able to provide you. I'd like to think you'll find yourself with a cheque in the mail before too long. If not my next step would be to contact the ACCC.

I always find it perplexing when festivals run out of booze. My understanding is they get the stuff for next to nothing in exchange for exclusivity and various promotional requirements. Surely it's not difficult to either have a truckload or two of extra alcohol on hand that can be returned if not sold. And surely when there's so much at stake financially for the organisers as well as the booze companies, it's worth having the procedures in place to get a last-minute truckload of the stuff down. I mean I got a message from a mate at 4pm saying they'd run out, which means any idiot could have predicted from the start of that day or even the day before that it was going to happen.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:04:36 PM

im not completely sure,but i think the contract for the alcohol service is subcontracted. so all these things are not under bluesfest control. some of these situations
are terrible,and i do believe you would have grounds for complaints to FAIR TRADING. you cannot sell something that you cannot supply. every bar should have a manager responsible for all these complaints.they are charging huge markups on their drinks,you cant just treat people like dirt.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
wmorris
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:50:37 PM

On Monday at 12.30pm at Crossroads bar, there was a gentleman instructing the bar staff not to open excess cartons, as the alcohol was on consignment and anything that was opened could not be returned to the alcohol company. I believe this is under festival control.

As an example, for the first 3 days XXXX gold which is actually a mid-strength beer, you were forced to purchase a full strength beer ticket to get that beer. With complaints to the volunteers behind the bar, no fault to them, they had been instructed to charge full strength beer prices. I am lead to believe that people complained to the Licencing Sargent of the area and the beer was then dropped to a low alcohol beer ticket. However, in the meantime we had been ripped off for 3 days. Is this another money grab Peter?

rodda55
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:16:15 PM

lewy59 wrote:
Don't think you are alone there my friend. Me and a mate had a scam run on us as well:

1) Went to buy heavy beer tickets. Was told only Heineken tickets were left at an extra 50c per ticket. Got in the queue only to find any beers you wanted were still available.

2) Bloke in front of us in the queue at Crossroads bar had wallked around from Mojo bar after beign told there was no beer left. He had purchased spirit tickets only to find that Crossroads bar was awash with beer.

3) Bloke and his girlfriend had purchased light beer tickets as they were told that was the only beer left. When they arrived at the bar there was heavy beer galore. Bar staff refused to allow them to buy heavy beer.

The drinks fluctuated throughout the nights as well, being told no more Extra Dry as it was sold out and then within an hour more Extra Dry appears.

All of this is after having to wait up to half an hour for a drink!!

And on top of all of that, they refuse to refund any drink tickets after they are purchased. The amount they make out of drink sales in the 5 days it runs is enough to fund a small country for an entire year. They really need to get their act together. There were never problems like this when it was at Red Devil.

No wonder illicit drug use is rampant at the festival.

Guy this one is easy - they potentially stopped sellig heavy beer tickets because they had sold the full ticket allocation and had to wait for everbody who had 10 tickets in their pockets to cash them in for actual beer. Thus it would appear there is plenty of beer in the fridge. No doubt there were people who bought beer tickets on the first few days and then didnt use them all, and then didnt show up on the monday cause they had a 3 day ticket. Thus leaving heavy beer in the fridge!!!

I dont think it was a scam, but i do agree that it was silly for them to run out. Also, i purchased a few spirits tickets, but the stuff i drank ran out. When i asked the bartender what other spirits were available she pretty much ignored me and started serving someone else. Im not pleased that i spent $30 on spirits tickets only to find that i couldnt get a scotch!!

RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:46:40 PM

As a (forced) non-drinker I am a bit lost here. However, this how I see the issue: If you have 100 cases of beer and you sell tickets for 100 cases but only 90 cases worth of punters show up to collect their booze what's the problem? You've got your money AND 10 cases of booze for your post-festival staff booze-up. If on the other hand you sell tickets for 110 cases of booze in the hope that only 100 cases worth of punters show up you are running a scam and deserve to be bought to task for it. If you can't communicate between ticket booths efficiently (and in this day and age that shouldn't be the case), then that is not the punters' fault, it's a simple case of poor stock control.

namaste
RR
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 1:52:01 AM

By theloneranger at 2009-04-26

Listen here Jack Finn.

What are you doing giving my Bar facilities a hard time for.

By theloneranger at 2009-04-26

Looks like you better lay off a bit,as you are having obvious trouble fitting into that car of yours,

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8