Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Kate Bush - Put the cameras and phones away. Options
BigKahuna
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:31:21 PM

Groups: Member

I will preface this article by saying, i agree. Any photo i take at the fest is not by ways of jamming my way through crowds to "get the shot" i usually stand on the outskirts with a zoom.

Kate Bush has asked fans to put down their iPads at her comeback shows so that the singer and her audience can “share in the experience together”.

The singer returns to the stage next week at Hammersmith Apollo next week, the scene of her last full concert appearance in 1979.

Bush posted a message on her website, with a “request” for fans attending the shows, which begin next Tuesday.

“We have purposefully chosen an intimate theatre setting rather than a large venue or stadium. It would mean a great deal to me if you would please refrain from taking photos or filming during the shows.

“I very much want to have contact with you as an audience, not with iPhones, iPads or cameras. I know it's a lot to ask but it would allow us to all share in the experience together.”

In a rare communication from the artist, 56, she added that she was “very excited” about the shows and “working very hard in preparation.” She thanked fans who last month sent “lovely wishes for my birthday. I had a wonderful day.

Bush joins a number of musicians who have either politely requested or demanded that fans refrain from viewing their performance through a tiny screen.

Prince introduced a “no photography, no video recording” rule at his gigs. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs posted a blunt message on a sign outside venues: “PUT THAT SHIT AWAY as a courtesy to the person behind you and to Nick, Karen and Brian.”

Jack White asked audiences “not take pictures or videos while holding up their camera phones, etc that block other peoples view or otherwise hinder other fans concert experiences.” The message continued, “Along with that, the bigger idea is for people to experience the event with their own eyes and not watch an entire show through a tiny screen in their hand.”

The London post-punk band Savages offer a philosophical justification: “Our goal is to discover better ways of living and experiencing music. We believe that the use of phones to film and take pictures during a gig prevents all of us from totally immersing ourselves. Let’s make this evening special. Silence your phones.” Bjork, David Byrne and St Vincent have made similar requests.

Roger Daltrey, The Who singer, said it was “weird” to face an audience watching through a lens. “He said: “I really feel sorry for them. Looking at life through a screen and not being in the moment totally – if you're doing that, you're 50% there, right?”

The requests are often ignored. Neko Case is one of the few artists who has threatened to halt a show as a result of flashing camera lights. “Just put away the cameras. It isn’t going to kill you, but it might kill me,” she told her audience in Cincinnati during a moment of frustration.”

Vanity is sometimes the cause of a request to put down camera phones. Artists who wish to control their public image seek to prevent the spread of unflattering pictures or inferior video recordings on social media.

Beyond her request, Bush gave little else away about the hotly-anticipated Beyond The Dream shows, which are set to run for 22 nights and sold out in 15 minutes. “It’s going very well indeed,” she said of the preparations. Bush effectively retired from the live stage after her gruelling 1979 Tour Of Life tour ended at Hammersmith Apollo when she was just 20.

finleym
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:49:59 PM

I tend to not take photos at concerts for the reasons Bush outlines. I usually like one as a memento, but other than that I don't want to take myself out of the moment,

That said, I think the advice Jerry Seinfeld gives in his interview about Michael Richards (Kramer) racist tirade gives some insight into the megalomania of artists. In the interview Seinfeld tells him that an entertainer loses their connection with an audience when they make it about themselves. On the flip side, many artists set up special taping areas for their fans equipment.

http://comediansincarsgettingcoffee.com

In a nutshell, your performance has to be for the audience, so if they want to take photos let them take photos.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
BigKahuna
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:59:19 PM

but when you have a sea of smart phones obstructing your view...

spanner1
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 10:33:14 PM

BigKahuna wrote:
I'm with you kahuna-dickheads in a sea of smartphones recording songs or even whole sets spoil it for other punters behind and the artists who can't engage with those people filming.
my best gigs have been where the audience has been mature and respectful and there have been no phones being waved around.
bambambam
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:53:23 PM

finleym wrote:
In the interview Seinfeld tells him that an entertainer loses their connection with an audience when they make it about themselves.

Excellent Quote, finleym...

I have never filmed or photographed anyone in concerts,
(more because I cant be bothered than out of any respect for the artist)
I understand some people like doing that, but its getting hard to see over all the iphones,

Having said all that, I wonder if the artists are being sincere when they use the words "in the moment"
rather than simply saying "I'm worried about my perceived product and those youtube camera angles"

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
finleym
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 6:35:55 PM

spanner1 wrote:
BigKahuna wrote:
I'm with you kahuna-dickheads in a sea of smartphones recording songs or even whole sets spoil it for other punters behind and the artists who can't engage with those people filming.
my best gigs have been where the audience has been mature and respectful and there have been no phones being waved around.

You guys are going to different gigs to me - I see a lot of phones out there but have never had my view obstructed, other than by girls on shoulders and 6ft plus gentleman who push in front of you, drunk, the minute the set starts.

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
BigKahuna
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:17:01 PM

maybe this is why

bambambam
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 9:00:04 AM

Well Ms Bush is back and she's as weird as ever.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/live-reviews/kate-bush-returns-to-the-stage-in-spectacular-fashion-20140827

It would be a "dreaming" come true to see her at Bluesfest one day,
(not sure how it would work, but more than happy to see her in a less theatrical form)

My personal Fave song (still scares me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4csr6pLZLg

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
angrymx
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 10:49:38 AM

Bluesfest has always been devoid of outright rude people who jump in front of you.Many will move or ask if there in your road...and having said that most acts are different as they feel they are in a safe place enough that they talk willingly and honestly...John Butler , Passenger, Joss Stone, Kate miller. I would see Kate Bush just to hear her thoughts and anecdotes along with that very different voice.
spanner1
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 6:13:29 PM

bambambam wrote:
Well Ms Bush is back and she's as weird as ever.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/live-reviews/kate-bush-returns-to-the-stage-in-spectacular-fashion-20140827

It would be a "dreaming" come true to see her at Bluesfest one day,
(not sure how it would work, but more than happy to see her in a less theatrical form)

My personal Fave song (still scares me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4csr6pLZLg

Can't believe she could leave Wuthering Heights or Babooshka off a set list after 35 years. Still would love to see her
spanner1
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 6:22:02 PM

angrymx wrote:
Bluesfest has always been devoid of outright rude people who jump in front of you.Many will move or ask if there in your road...and having said that most acts are different as they feel they are in a safe place enough that they talk willingly and honestly...John Butler , Passenger, Joss Stone, Kate miller. I would see Kate Bush just to hear her thoughts and anecdotes along with that very different voice.
Not sure how many fests you have been to angry but I have been increasingly unimpressed in recent years by young drunken/stoned kids pushing through to the front not caring about people who have been waiting patiently for hours for a good vantage point waving cameras filming sets and blocking views of those behind and talking loudly through sets. I am seriously contemplating looking for new fests to escape this bad behaviour. Check out the thread when one of our esteemed bulletin contributors loneranger was assaulted this year .Like that you acknowledge KMH though.
on on spanner