Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

POSITIVE SUGGESTIONS.... Options
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:52:15 PM
Groups: Member

while bluesfest is fresh in our minds,lets put down suggestions on how to improve things for the new site and future festivals.
for me a major corncern was lack of WAFFLES. this is part of bluesfest history and sadly missed,but of no control to bluesfest.
this issue is ,do i now change my poster name to french crepes or maybe mediteranean sweets.or become the poster formerly known as waffles.
yes,it has been a big weekend.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
enuffbluz4now
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:55:36 PM

mmmm... did the dagwood dog van not have some monstrosity they claimed to be "waffles"..... ? eg like a deep fried crisp dough thing filled with cream?
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:47:15 PM

Waffles, I guess my sig should change to "Scott Langos", though the inevitable comparisons to John Mangos are a concern.......

When I get home and away from this internet cafe, I'll try to add some more constructive thoughts to this thread.
E.K
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:40:23 PM
Groups: Guest

Loved all the food stalls. Yum!
ScottM
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:11:45 AM

OK, a couple of things that come to mind:

First, and it was a problem that was improved whether intentionally or not over the course of the festival - putting general rubbish bins wherever there are recycling bins. The easiest way to get people to use the 2 types of bins correctly is to not make them walk to 2 places to dispose of their waste/recycling. Gotta have a red lid next to a yellow lid, otherwise neither will be used properly.

Next, I do think drink prices are an issue that needs to go back to the drawing board. I payed the $6 a beer for the weekend, because I can afford to, and because illicit drugs are simply not my thing. BUT, by charging $10 for a single can of mixed spirits in my opinion encourages increased usage of drugs to "fill the gap" of alcohol intake.

Third, and it no doubt relies on some special crystal ball work, but perhaps there needs to be a little further thought given to scheduling time/places. The Sunday Eric Bibb/Ruthie Foster sets in Jambalaya drew impressive numbers, but definitely caused some angst amongst those who missed out on a view, or even a decent listen. Don't know what the numbers were like in other tents at the time, but if they were equally crowded, then I'd suggest there may have been issues as far as over selling tickets.

Fourth, can we get a 2nd ice cream stand, so that there's one on both sides of the festival. Likewise Govinda's.

Finally, is it asking too much for an annual mass round up and cull of our more annoying and imbecilic MoJJJo patrons? But I did promise to keep it "constructive"
waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:29:57 PM

my major concern is positioning of tents. if bluesfest gets to tyagarah,they should have more freedom of choice with setup.
hopefullt tents could be back to back stages to avoid sound spill. with drainage pits surrounding the tents to take runoff from the tents. put ag-pipe in the trenches and fill with heavy gravel.this would allow the water to drain.cover these pits with pallet walkways.

have covered areas directly outside the tents,with more big screens that can be viewed from these areas.

designate chair areas.i am a chair taker.a bike accident has left me with a legacy of nerve damage that wont let me stand for 12 hours for 5 days.
most chair people cant see the stage anyway ,so designate a chair area ,put a big screen there for viewing and leave the open areas for standing and dancing.if you want to see more ,leave your chair in these areas. this practice on chairs 10 metres from the stage is crazy. and annoying for everyone.

red devil park was good in that the hill behind crossroads was a great viewing area.
i thought grandstands would have been good at the back of crossroads.it would have pulled more punters back from the front.

more covered eating areas.the eating area at the rear of crossroads was always full 12 till 12.

hindsight is a wonderfull thing. but hey maybe something might be useful.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Fairs
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:55:01 PM

my biggest beef was people taking chairs from the food court and beer garden into tents - was very unfair for people trying to find a seat to eat their food and even more annoying when they ended up in tents taking up precious space. I am not opposed to chairs in tents (we dubbed them 'chair city' but a designated 'chair city' area is a great idea - given the circumstances, the influx of chairs was understandable), but the chair stealing just p'ed me off! As did a combination of alcohol and drugs in a lot of people, particularly on Saturday which made me feel somewhat unsafe. And there were a number of inconsiderates around who would obviously be more suited to a Splendour in the Grass experience rather than ruining Bluesfest for those who wanted to be there (looking at all the young-uns who insisted on talking through sets and taking photos of themselves rather than watching.)
E.K
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:13:24 AM

Better lighting at night, in, around and between the tents.

The MOJO tent was a bit scary during Ayo's set on Saturday night.
sarahj1
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:32:21 AM

Chairs where a big problem this year, I really think there needs to be a chair section at the back. Jumbalah was shocking during Ruthie. It looked like you where walking into a theatre with the seats all set up in rows. They take up too much space.
gemshell
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:57:01 AM

Chairs should have a 'set area' maybe behind the mixer...an area for setting up and staying all day...people who just pop open a little stool, sit for a bit, then fold it up BEFORE the big acts come on are OK...that's what I did and I'm one of the oldies...and I saw just as many young people setting up chairs, blankets, ect especailly around the edges of tents...MOJO on Monday you couldn;t get in the tent on the right side because of all chairs lined up on the side - 5 or 6 deep so I off I went to better viewing and under cover...spent most of Monday between Crossroads, Jamballa & Apra as they were so close and had lots of under cover area all day...

Rubbish bins were red & yellow together...untill dicks took them to stand on...and the white chairs...I told a few 'off' as they were barging thur crowds with white chairs...again young people, not the oldies....

I commented several times that I didn't think there were so many drunks around this year...but I did avoid the bars.....Drink prices were very average...Tivoli in Brisbane charges $12>$14 for a can of mix drink! so blues was a bit cheaper...and you are going to pay top price

I had a GREAT time.....rain, mud and crowds!!! and cna't wait till next year!!! and will be buying an early bird ticket again - 3 years I been now and hope to continue till I am unable to get around on my own.....
and again I found most of the 'young' people very freindly and polite!!!
richo
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 12:28:53 PM

Yeah chairs should be limited to the back third of all stages and it should be actively enforced.

Obviously if there's a band playing at midday with a tiny crowd no one should mind if people sit themselves down towards the front, but the moment there is any sort of crowd building there should be people out (a few volunteers at each stage perhaps) asking people with chairs to either stand or move back. In cases like at Jambalaya where the seated folks were unfairly dominating the space for crowded acts, just announce 10 minutes before they start that they won't be coming on stage until the bastards move (perhaps use kinder words). It works every time for the kiddies when the moshpit starts to get out of hand.
curlyloc
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 12:42:45 PM

Some + suggestions:

- At Red Devil, there was an amphitheatre around the stages which was great for those who could not get into tent or who were just walking past and could see what was going on. It would be great if at Tyagarah this could be recreated

- agree re deignated chair area to stop hogging space/tripping over/inconvenience for others (OR JUST BAN THEM!!!)

- return to more blues and roots style (including reggae). Eg no more REM, Jason Mraz et al

- bring back the matting/increase woodchips to prevent mud

BUT I offer this in context of a great festival and much love to Peter Noble and the BF team for giving such an amazing musical expereince year on year.

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
finleym
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 7:46:31 PM

Designate chair areas - simple and easy and would avoid the chair vs no chair arguments. And I would suggest seating run down one side of the tent - first in best dressed.

Jambalaya had two stands - unless you can have one for each tent for permanent seating maybe use one in jambalaya and one in crossroads.

Lighting main walkways.

Hopefully at the new site many of the other issues will be better managed (sound bleeding and tent locations for example)

Trumpet bells ringing
Bass drum is swinging
As the trombone groans
And the big horn moans
colinsid
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 8:18:48 PM

Agree with finleym on chair & grandstands, especially would have been good in Crossroads.

A friend said recently at a Cat Empire gig in Mullum they had teh area divided in half, one side for chairs the other for standing. Worth a look/debate.

Another issue I had was the amount of people recording video on cameras/mobiles. This involved holding said instrument up high for whole songs. My suggestion to stop this is to stand close, swear, talk loudly & hold your hand up in fromt of camera.

I also think rain & mud should be banned from all future Bluesfests
sunnys
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 5:26:17 PM

Thanks for yet another 5 days of brilliant music .This is our 6th year and still remains the best week of the year for us regardless of the weather.
A couple of thoughts on reflection.Why put Eric Bibb And Ruthie Foster in the Jambalaya on their second night, that was strange
scheduling as they were always going to draw a crowd as being real Blues acts . Crossroads would have been much better and allowed those with chairs to sit without feeling guilty about it.( though how you can sit for Ruthie I have no idea)
Would like to see more Blues acts next year as we feel each year there are fewer and fewer of these and bring back the Reggae, always great late a night.
I agree with others about the Mojo and ventured over there only for Franti, Paul Kelly and John Butler,the crowd seemed fine where we were standing but know friends with kids that felt unsafe at times.
Finally, have always applauded the fantastic feel and friendliness about this festival, hopefully this will continue. Lets not let it turn into another Splender,I am not against the 20 year olds attending and obviously they can't be stopped nor should be but there are lots of us 40 plus music lovers out there desperate for this festival to continue with that great original BLUES feel of past festivals that this one for us did not have.
More blues acts next year please Peter and thanks again for a great festival in what I am sure must have been very trying conditions.
PS Maybe Bob Dylan to close next year,as he is about to release another very bluesy album ! PLEASE