Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jeff Lang review Options
spanner1
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:49:48 PM
Groups: Member

Last night I had the great pleasure of seeing Jeff Lang play in the intimate setting of the Visy Theatre at the Powerhouse in Brisbane. There is something special about seeing an artist of this calibre in a small theatre sitting metres away instead of large festival tents. I had not seen Jeff in a couple of years and he certainly did not disappoint. Largely showcasing his latest album "I Still Live in My Head These Days" Jeff took a small enthralled audience on a 2 hour tour de force of gob smacking guitar unleashing traditional and electric blues, folk inspired roots and some amazing punk thrash metal in a tribute to the late great Chris Whitely who Jeff recorded with and played with at Bluesfest.
Jeff had a powerful rhythm section ably assisting his pulsating guitar in Danny McKenna on drums, Tim Keegan on bass and Greg Sheehan on percussion including even a kitchen sink. McKenna was a standout and performed one of the best drum solos I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing and believe me I've seen a few.
Jeff was in great voice. As usual his story telling and musicianship was sublime. He played about 5 guitars including lap slide, 12 string acoustic,an amazing 5 string electric from Instanbul and a fabulous electric National steel. He used a variety of loops and pedals to produce extraordinary range of sounds and tone from the different guitars. There are some fabulous guitarists in Australia many who have faced the BF stages over the nearly 20 years that I have attended. But on this performance tonight I believe Lang to be the best oz guitarist I have ever seen. Tonight he was peerless in his mastery of his guitar. His flamboyant technique including power chords and hands flying off and on the frets was truly exciting and amazing to behold. In several tracks he whipped the crowd into a frenzy and I found it difficult to remain seated in the narrow confines of the small theatre setting.
He only has a couple of shows left in this tour next weekend in Canberra and Geelong and one other Vic date. If you are anywhere near it will be the best $40 dollars you will ever spend. I for one cannot wait to see him again at Narooma this year. Oh and I bought the album and as bazcaz suggested its a cracker.

on on
spanner

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 12:47:53 AM

spanner1 wrote:
Last night I had the great pleasure of seeing Jeff Lang play in the intimate setting of the Visy Theatre at the Powerhouse in Brisbane. On this performance tonight I believe Lang to be the best oz guitarist I have ever seen.
on on
spanner

I agree.
I love slide guitarists.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
bucetti1
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 5:03:06 AM

Seeing Jeff this Saturday night.
I agree that he is brilliant.wonderfully understated in demeanour.nice bloke
John Butler claims that Jeff is his biggest influence.

When they go low-we go high.
spanner1
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 7:11:41 AM

You are in for a real treat bucetti- be prepared to be blown away
bucetti1
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 8:02:36 AM

Thank you Mr Spanner,
This country is lucky to have him.

spanner1
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:23:15 PM

hey bucetti make sure to catch him up for a chat post show he is a top bloke and really obliging with fans
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:59:42 AM

I'm with you Mr Spanner
Met him at a signing at Bluesfest some time ago.
A bonza bloke.

bazcaz
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:11:25 PM

Great review Spanner1 as well as an incredible musician he is also a great producer having done Hat Fitz and Caras albums....I have been in contact with his management and hope to get him in my studio to interview and showcase the cd and play live.....still to confirm a date

Music with PASSION Music with SOUL Music that MATTERS
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:44:49 PM

Thanks bazcaz for the tip on the new album-shall await your interview with relish
bucetti1
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:25:22 PM

Saw Jeff tonight.
Simply brilliant and astonishing guitar work.
I cannot believe I only paid $30 to see this genius.
Special mention to Danny McKenna on drums-another star.