Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Bluesfest Evaluations Online? Options
alickweber
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:26:39 AM
Groups: Guest

Hi Peter, first off, thanks for a great Bluesfest. There was nothing to be done about the weather but the music was great as ever.

Just a quick suggestion of something that I think could be really valuable as you look back on this years Bluesfest... Last year (and other years I've been) there were lots of volunteers going around with questionairres for patrons to complete and offer feedback on the fest. Obviously this was problematic this year owing to the weather - I did see the questionairres circulating, but few people were stopping to complete them.

I think that in the interest of continual improvement of Bluesfest, it would be hugely valuable to get feedback from as many patrons as possible. As such, I would suggest putting together an online survey (through Surveymonkey or something) and offering an incentive to patrons to complete the survey - some kind of competition...

I know that I have a few thoughts about this year's fest that I would like to share, and in not as public a sphere as this forum.

Thanks again and I hope to see this followed up in the near future!
fuschia_chick1
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 9:41:10 AM
Groups: Member

an online survey is a great idea - send it out to the members like you do the updates.
alickweber
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:37:58 AM

Hi Peter and the Bluesfest Team.

Thanks for the email about the survey. Good idea to put it online. I've filled it out and hope the feedback is useful.

Personally, however, I think it is an opportunity lost. The survey focuses on how much we spent, where we stayed and for how long, with a couple of brief questions about the artists. It seems like you are trying to get a demographic insight into your patrons - which I agree is important.

Where I think you missed out though is on not asking more questions about the venue, the stages, the style of artist, the general feel of the site and other things such as food and drinks, general competence of security and other staff and safety both at the venue and in the town. Surveys should not necessarily be simply about working who came to your event (which can come across a bit 'money-grabbing'), but also offer an opportunity to gather some constructive feedback on how patrons felt about the event and where there might be room for improvement. I was also disappointed that there was not a 'formal' space to list artists that we would like to see at future festivals - although I know that is what this forum is all about.

All the same though, nice work on the survey. Hopefully there will be a more in depth one next year!
waffles
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:17:26 PM
Groups: Member

surveys can be for different reasons and to guage different results. obviously this one is to guage bluesfest input on tourism in nsw.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
alickweber
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 12:59:40 AM

waffles wrote:
surveys can be for different reasons and to guage different results. obviously this one is to guage bluesfest input on tourism in nsw.

Yep I totally recognise that, but I also think that there is potential for some 'value-adding' to a survey in this format. The survey that I filled out online is almost identical to the hard copy survey that was circulated at the 08 Bluesfest, but without any area for comments/suggestions/band ideas. I did not fill out a hard copy survey at the 09 BF as I only saw one person with one, and they were already busy with another patron. I guess my thinking is that if they put out this survey, which tells them little about the BF experience from a punters' perspective, and then they put out another to guage that, how many of us will fill out another survey? I'd think pretty few... If, on the other hand, they put in maybe three more questions about the venue, artists, security and maybe the food and bev (ok that's four) they might get some really useful feedback... Once someone has started to complete a survey, they are much more likely to finish it than they are to complete another one in two months...