Groups: Member

Special Beat
Blues Traveller
Dallas Frasca
Watermelon Slim
JBT
Mojo Juju
Ruthie Foster

Disappointments: Eric Bibb, Tony Joe White, the cop that fined the pushbike riding newly weds for not wearing bike helmets (which had just been stolen) on way back from BF and made them wait in the pouring rain while he laboured on writing out tickets for 20 minutes.....what an arsehole

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
waz
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:48:08 AM

Seasick Steve - Absolutely amazing, gotta love his Diddley Bo lol!
Watermelon Slim - Met him twice, and he played "Call My Job" as a request for me in his last set on Monday, which I will always remember! (even tho the crowd for his last set was small, damn you weather!)
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Their first set on Jambalaya was the shizzle! We danced our boots off.
Paul Greene - Our little diamond in the rough for the festival, wandered past APRA and caught him on Thursday night, fantastic! I overheard someone label his voice as a cross between John Farnham, Daryl Braithwaite and Mark Lizotte, good on you you top lil aussie!
Jeff Lang - Never played a bad set in his life me thinks!

Curls, I was also disappointed by Eric Bibb, more so from the crossing of sounds from other stages, was always going to be hard to hear the detail of one man with an acoustic guitar whispering sweet nothings with what sounded like Drum 'n' Bass coming from the APRA stage!

And was sad not to catch Blues Traveler, Special Beat and Neil Finn, but the little rug rat had spent too long in the stroller so it was time to go!
suave
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:48:26 AM

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Toni Childs
The Bamboos
Saltwater band
Ruthie Foster
richiek65
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:02:53 AM

Only saw a day and a half but..

Spearhead - the joyousness of the Neville Brothers, the energy of Midnight Oil! Those children he got up were pure happiness. And Ayo singing backups made everyone cry
Lucinda Wiliams - despite the lyric sheets on stage and seeming only half-keen to be there (at least for the first half of the set I saw), I can now die a happy man for having witnessed this amazing talent. What a woman..and what a band!!
Blind Boys of Alabama - hearing them belt out their righteous noise as I walked into Bluesfest on Fri night made the 11 hour drive worthwhile
Ash Grunwald - 'nuff said.
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - seeing the whole tent jitterbugging was a freakshow!
Eric Bibb - the cleanest blues I've ever heard one song, the dirtiest and meanest the next
Seasick Steve - come on Steve, just emigrate!
Saltwater band - just beautiful.

My first BF - lifechanging..

E.K
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:26:26 AM
Groups: Guest

Ash Grunwald (rocked)
Stiff Gins (Sweet)
Tom Freund (Interesting)
Mic Conway (hilarious)
Ayo (fun and happy)

Saw Toni Childs too but didn't like her... too loud, depressing and melodramatic. Made my ears bleed.

Couldn't hang around for Ben Harper. :(

My first Bluesfest :)
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:25:43 PM

my faves over 5 days-admitting i missed many.........

in no order of preferance
seasick steve
sonny landreth
watermelon slim
cw stoneking
rodney crowell
james hunter
big bad voodoo daddies
bamboos
drive by truckers
terrance simien
special beat
dallas frasca

you can probably tell ,i didnt spend much time in mojo
with all the mud,i became a squatter rather than a nomad.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
scubly
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:44:28 PM

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy rocked!

Ben Harper I hope you were better on Monday night than you were on Saturday. Some crowd interaction doesn't go astray especially when you state 'it is the most important festival I have ever played.
davidb
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:15:35 PM

My top 10

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (!!)
Rodney Crowell
Hot Club of Cowtown
Drive By Truckers
Lucinda (better on Sunday Night)
Dan Sultan
Watermelon Slim
Paul Kelly (Never puts on a bad show)
Pete Cornelius
Alabama 3

Agree with the complaints about sound quality, especially in Crossroads. Doesn't anyone care? Blues Traveller on Sunday was so loud we had to evacuate.
simon_simon
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:19:21 PM

My favs in no particular order.
Blues Traveller
Seasick Steve
Drive by Truckers
The Bamboos
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Ayo
Blind Boys of Alabama
Alabama 3

Overall I spent most of my time in Crossroads.
brogs17
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:32:50 PM

My 3rd BF, just keeps getting better.

Ash- specially Saturday, he just rocked out
Seasick Steve
Blue King Brown
That 1 Guy
TOm Freund
Ben Harper- just love him, but yeah, the limited crowd interaction kind of sucked.
Dan...
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:39:31 PM

seasick steve
cw stoneking
rodney crowell
big bad voodoo daddy
the bamboos
drive by truckers
tony joe white
bob log iii
ruthie foster
eric bibb (first set)
booker t

The poster formerly known as Dan
richo
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:20:09 PM

curlyloc wrote:

Disappointments: Eric Bibb, Tony Joe White, the cop that fined the pushbike riding newly weds for not wearing bike helmets (which had just been stolen) on way back from BF and made them wait in the pouring rain while he laboured on writing out tickets for 20 minutes.....what an arsehole

Not surprised you didn't like Eric Bibb given you guys with the yellow frisbee came in late to a very packed tent, pushed to the front, started yelling and generally pissing off everyone around you with the frisbee and then questioning the one guy who dared to let you know that it was annoying the people behind you before deciding to push back out halfway through the set.
Always28
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:23:30 PM

Sonny Landreth, what a player not just a fantastic technician but great warmth in the playing
Blind Boys, Wow I hope I can have that energy at their age
Blues Travellers
Ruthie
Alabama 3, what a bad man, and what a cool chick!
Watermelon Slim the real thing
The Buick 6 with their somewhat distracted vocalist
Son Veneno, what a party band
Bamboos
Booker T
Special Beat
Dallas the powerhouse of course
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
But what a strange set from Tinariwen on Friday, they looked scared and sounded as if they had only just met each other.
wendywoo1
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:01:10 PM

Fishbone was my highlight. They went off!
Watussi Danced my arse off!
Low Rider smooth grooves
Blue king Brown My husband said keep getting better and better
Bamboos. More butty shaking.
Ben Harper .What a WANKER!
Special Beat. Second row from the front and in the middle was insane! But no NIGHT CLUB was played!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:37:04 PM

By theloneranger at 2009-04-14

Yes second Row from the front and in the middle was insane.

Your friend in the white Specials teeshirt was particularly enthusiastic.

The set unfortunately started late,which didn't help.

As for no 'Nite Klub' being played,when you have three bands' repetoire allocated an hour,if you divide that by three,it severely limits the number of songs per vocalist.

It should also have been allocated one of the two longer time frames.

I was scratching my head to work out why a covers act was allocated the following spot with an extra 15 minutes of stage time.

It appeared to me that Special Beat were THE headline act out of the final three for the day in Crossroads.

The only conclusion I could draw was that the programmer was a reggae devotee.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:09:46 AM

Dan... wrote:
seasick steve
cw stoneking
rodney crowell
big bad voodoo daddy
the bamboos
drive by truckers
tony joe white
bob log iii
ruthie foster
eric bibb (first set)
booker t

how could i have forgotten tinariwen!!

The poster formerly known as Dan
curlyloc
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:03:33 PM

richo wrote:
curlyloc wrote:

Not surprised you didn't like Eric Bibb given you guys with the yellow frisbee came in late to a very packed tent, pushed to the front, started yelling and generally pissing off everyone around you with the frisbee and then questioning the one guy who dared to let you know that it was annoying the people behind you before deciding to push back out halfway through the set.

Wo-a there Richo! I was asked to remove my hat because it was 'blocking someone's view' (for god sake!) , which I did obligingly. We did indeed leave half way through because it was boring and poor sound. Anyways, apologies for any impact on your BF experience.

PS Wendy - woo and other Novacastrians: make sure you catch Tijuana Cartel at the Cambridge mid May.

Buddy Guy is without doubt the best guitar player alive.......the way he plays is beyond anyone. Amen
bmcgloin
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:11:35 PM

Unfortunately I had to depart on Sunday, however you can cram in a fair amount of acts in that period, despite a reticence to trek across Sludge City. Anyway despite the deluge the craik was good.

This is my seventh Bluesfest and it occurred to me that maybe the organisers are opting for tried and true inclusions rather than taking a risk with lesser known performers. Admittedly it's the 20th anniversary and comforting to have recognised 'product' and Kasey Chambers for example, or Eric Bibb or Luka or Ben Harper or John Butler, Xavier or Paul Kelly will attract a following but the downside is that the Bluesfest may be perceived as passée, and rock and roll is never passée, although it has had some boring offspring. Figures may indicate attendances are growing but is it growing as fast as it might be if it had more of a cutting edge veneer?

The inclusion of 'world music' acts should be applauded but Tinariwen have been popular in Europe for some years now, as has Angelique Kidjo – there's hardly risk there. I wonder if the Booker of Acts is checking out emerging talents through Songlines or Froots mags or Charlie Gillet's BBC programme. Emerging acts have a cost advantage surely? Lesser known left field blues/ R'n B acts could add spice eg Hazmat Modine, Detroit Cobras, Legendary Shack Shakers, C.C. Adcock. Anyone's thoughts, or am I flatuating in the wind? Great to see ska and reggae genres included, dammit I missed The Special Beat... hey Ska Cubano.... there's another.

My faves:
Tinariwen earthy raw groove, is ok? Betcha. Heart warming to see so many enjoy these guys and not understand a word. Music, the universal language.
Sonny Landreth superb inventive guitar playing, vocals, band and repertoire, miles away from the clichéd blues of so many bands
Angelique Kidjo such energy and power in such a small package, and what a wonderful voice, loved her version of Gimmie Shelter and of course Voodoo Child, not discounting her own great material
Lucinda Williams seemed reticent to make contact with the audience at first but warmed up. Terrific band and choice of songs but where was Lake Charles?
Blind Boys of Alabamy never fail to satisfy, a 'stimulus package'
Seasick Steve great patter, enjoyed sensitive Steve singing to the girl from the audience
Ayo European/Nigerian cool, obviously happy to be at the Bluesfest
C W Stoneking a bit flat at first, or maybe me, but caught the latter half of the second set which was lively
Hat Fitz usual manic self but where's Itchy?? Young bloke on The Kit is a good drummer and a couple of numbers sounded great but Itchy has that compatibility which comes with experience
Watermelon Slim blues standards lifted by his virtuosity and personality
Pugsley Buzzard authentic growl and good pianist. Loved the version of Tom Waits' The Briar and the Rose.
Eric Bibb caught the encores, a winning, warm performer and showing strong vocals
Stiff Gins loved the harmonies, particularly the koori song

bigben
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:21:41 PM

Alabama 3 without a doubt - never seen the acoustic set before and it rocked!!! For god's sake give them a better time slot next time!!!!

Shame that Ben Harper programmed himself a 2 hour set and cut everybody else to 45 minutes on the Saturday. Friends of mine left Mojo 20 minutes into his set cause it was boring - I never even bothered going.

Bring them back again and give them a headline spot on crossroads!!

Michael Franti was great.

Seasick steve rocked

Terence Simean - great!

Wiley Reed was a big suprise and very entertaining!
renesj
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:09:44 PM

Fav bands-
Eric Bibb (not his fault about the sound- he was still brilliant)
Son Veneno- give it up people these guys ROCK!!!
Sea Sick Steve
Ruthie Foster
Terence (and his beads!)

Mojo on Monday- OMG what a joke between the rain, the mud and the crap sound- all too hard....