Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

RIP Bobby Womack Options
valkrie
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:02:49 PM
Groups: Member

Sadly legendary soul singer and writer Bobby Womack has passed away at 70yo. My all time favourite soul singer. His voice is filled with raw emotion and is also a badass guitarist.

He did some very tasty recordings with The Crusaders, 'Inherit the Wind' and 'The Truth Song'.

You will be missed Bobby. You made a difference to my life and made me feel. Rest in Peace.

Valerie
bluesfestadmin
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 4:10:06 PM
Groups: Administration

we are so sorry to hear of bobby Womack's passing

one of the greats of soul music.

We can now reveal that bobby Womack was on our short list to present at the 2015 Bluesfest and we only had discussions earlier this week about him playing - his sudden passing has greatly saddened us.

sincerely

Bboard Admin

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:15:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe9s63ruvpo
Thank you Bluesfest for having Bobby on your shortlist.
Both Bobby & Al Green have been down-under very recently.
I should have jumped on a plane and caught them both.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
repete
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:20:25 PM

One of the giants. RIP Bobby.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
waffles
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 12:49:02 PM

pretty sure bobby cancelled his last oz appearances due to ill health.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
ScottM
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 1:54:56 PM

waffles wrote:
pretty sure bobby cancelled his last oz appearances due to ill health.

Only the night I was meant to go....I came painfully close on about 3 occasions to seeing Bobby play live, but never got there. Not many of the original soul greats left, much less the ones that are still making great records like Bobby's swansong.
RaucousReg
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 2:02:47 PM

Sad news ...

namaste
RR
pod2006
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 7:07:40 PM

Bobby Womack was on most of my requests for future BF artists given his soul, R&B pedigree, and his current relevance after his last album. He has been on my playlists since xmas 2012 when my kids gave me his latest vinyl and he would have been great. Sad to see him pass. He leaves a great music legacy. Al Green is on my shuffle at present and a BF appearance would be entirely consistent with the great soul & R&B that BF offers. Kasey Kasem's 1970 decade top 40's are played each Sunday on Newcastle radio and even now I am discovering so much good soul music which was not otherwise accessible when growing up.

Here is part of a post I made 13 months ago after his Sydney Opera House show:
on Saturday, as Bobby entered the stage he did slip, down to his knees and then using his hands pushed back off the stage floor to his feet straight into Across 110th st. His voice was good; his song selection and band were tight. The percussionist was energetic [now here was a man who enjoyed his work]; the horn section coool and great- and created a positive vibe; the backing/sometime co vocallists sounded sweet and soullful and raunchy when needed the bass as personable as a rock and the lead guitarist boppy. Bobby in his red leather suit was there. At times he looked like he was unsteady on his feet, or that the voice might not last the night out- but not through any lack of desire or effort. he wanted to please. The 3 songs from the last album (the bravest man, deep river, & please forgive my heart) were delivered near perfectly. Such a great album. The early stuff was soulful. References to marvin gaye and Sam Cooke gave context.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 1:11:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChTPOMa447E
Who saw the great set from Rahsaan Patterson when he played Bluesfest and shared the set with Trina Broussard.
Here we have a superlative duet with Shanice Wilson in the tradition of the exquisite standards we have come to expect from the cream of Afro American singers.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8