Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Sorry Peter i will be back Options
downs1
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:42:44 AM
Groups: Member

Love Franti, loved Blind Boys, loved JB trio, Ash was awesome, Paul Kelly sensational, Seasick Steve incredible, many more were great too. But Sunday night was absolutly packed and not a nice place to be, toilet cues,food cues, drink cues meant standing in lines rather than listen to music. I was at 2004 at Red Devil Park and dont remember seeing so much rubbish on the ground or seeing so many drunk teenage girls and boys hell bent on getting smashed and running in and out of tents. Getting to be more like a Big Day Out crowd than a Bluesfest crowd. Plenty of bands that sounded more rock than blues too. I bought the Bluesfest 20th anniversery cd in Byron for $26.95 and the same cd at the festival was $30. Maybe im getting too old ? On a brighter note me and my girl tied the knot on belongil beach the Wed before the festival and it was the sunniest day of the week. I wish i was the guy selling gumboots in Byron he cleaned up selling $12 boots for $50.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:43:20 PM

havent seen any $12 gumboots anywhere.
shoudve spent more time in the other tents and left mojo for the young uns. my 2 boys -19 and 21 spent almost all weekend in mojo.
i went there for maybe an hour-but agree about the young drunk crowd.there seems to be more of a social scene than a music scene ,and some that go just to get pissed.but how do you control that.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
renesj
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:17:21 PM

I was getting so annoyed at the underage drinkers everywhere- go back to BDO and talk all over the music there....
gmclean
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:08:12 PM

renesj wrote:
I was getting so annoyed at the underage drinkers everywhere- go back to BDO and talk all over the music there....

Agreed! Augie have been one of my fave bands for a very long time. Since moving away from my regular Melbourne haunts I hadn't seen them in far too long. Unfortunately a lot of the very young crowd were up the front early reserving their spots for later shows, and thought it would be great fun to shout all over the music- a really big disappointment.

The crowd at the stage seemed happy enough during 'one crowded hour', why wouldn't they perhaps get some of the back catalogue or at least show some respect to the band & those who like more than one song??

sully8911
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:15:59 PM

It seems that people are moaning about things out of organisers control. The weather and the crowd that was there!!!!!.No one can control the weather and it is to be expected that rain will fall in Byron over the Easter Weekend, we were just lucky last year that the sun shone all weekend ( Easter was earler last year than usual) . As for the young crowd thats not something that can be helped. Everyone over the age of 18 is free to buy a ticket and go if they so wish. Its a festival for all people not just for the over 35s!!!! I had a blast, so did my friends and also my three yr old son. By the way, great work in the kids club!!! and we will definately be back.
jackfinn
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:40:32 AM

lets fix the underage problem once and for all, make them get there tickets under the condition they attend the show with a responsible adult and if they are drinking make the adult wear the fines when little johnny get pissed and make a wanker out of himself.......ps maybe we should make their arm bands all joined together so they dont get lost.....
kaydubbleu
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:32:57 PM

Its listed on the festival lineup that anyone under 15 is supposed to be under supervision at all times.. Clearly an overlooked rule by all security.. Impossible to enforce I know but.. cmon.. some of it was seriously out of control..

On Friday I was in a taxi full of (local to byron, I asked) 14 year old blind girls heading to the festival who fairy twirled their way in through the gates without a second glance from doormen, On Saturday I got approached twice by 2 different pairs of (local to byron, again I asked) 13/14 year olds asking/begging for money, Sunday I had to tell this youngun who thought it would be ok to attempt to step over the top of my fiance to mind his p's and q's on the bus.. Obviously these kids are having a good time and whatnot but I agree with the rest of the posters.. Years prior it has not been so overrun by off their face teenage kids running around disrespecting anyone and everyone.. Im only 26 and I felt incredibly old.. after Thursday I didnt really go anywhere near Mojo for long..

Also to the people who setup chairs inside the first 5-6 poles of the tents from the stage, you are incredibly annoying, not to mention dangerous. When the tents are dark and full of potholes from mud do not look surprised when people get pushed into you and go straight over the top of you sitting there barely able to see the stage in the first place.. Please do not allow chairs!!!

I will definetely continue to get my early birds and spend my easter holidays in Byron because I absolutely think its one of the best places on earth, and the festival is always a good time.. But this year a few things were off.. I hope all this feedback posted on the board is taken into consideration.. I am glad I had my 5 days there, if I would have only had 1-2, I would not have been overly impressed this year..

Toner1
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:01:39 PM

This was my 13th year at the festival - unlucky for some. I suppose if you haven't seen Harper, Butler, Franti, Rudd (at this festival a thousand times before) then it would be a treat to catch up with them. I have and it's not. So these guys are now the headline acts eh? Good one Pete, well done, how original. And I presume we will continue to cut costs and not have any overseas 'name' acts? Still, Ben and co. will at least be able to keep the Mojo tent full I guess. Keep the piss-heads happy, eh Pete? Sorry old son, show me another line-up like this again next year and I'm done.

Oh, and don't believe for one moment that things will be moving up the road next year (y'know, near the Tyagarah Swamp). They won't.

Hey, didn't ya love the chip-bark being laid down outside the Apra tent on the last day. So funny.

Thank God for Rodney Crowell. The indigenous tent too - Dan Sultan was great! Other than that, a real shitter folks ......
wmorris
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:20:25 PM

I was under the impression that a licenced venue, persons under the age of 18 had to be accompanied by a responsible adult (at least this is what my alcohol licence states at my venues).
The security officers for the event did not do their job. Kids under the age of 18 were entering unchallenged. Ticket office was selling tickets to under age without an adult present as witnessed by myself and others.
In some cases they were already intoxicated whilst purchasing their tickets.

As for chairs in the tents, there should be a designated seating area in every tent.
These tents are big enough to accommodate seating at the sides and rear of the tents.
This was available in Mojo some time ago, then was moved to Crossroads and now has been moved to Jambalaya. Where will seating be next year in the Apra?
Every person who has purchased a ticket at this festival, should be able to relax and enjoy the music and this does not mean standing for 12 hours a day.
Whether young or old!!!

After all, I am sure everyone would agree this is not a cheap festival to attend anymore.

phelan1973
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:18:28 PM
Groups: Guest

This was my first year at the fest... I just went on Sunday.

I had a great time.

I never had to wait in line for anything, not once.

I was not bumped into or touched.

Bob Log was amazing... so was Watermelon Slim... and Lucinda... and Dan Sultan... and Mojo Juju!!!

Everyone I encountered was very friendly and polite. I was really impressed with the crowd... and on the bus on the way home everyone thanked the bus driver.

The only negative, was that we could never find anywhere to sit down. My two friends left at around 10pm because they could no longer stand the aches and pains in their legs and backs. I stuck around 'till the end of the night for Lucinda, and I was in a fair bit of discomfort and pain by then.
dancollins
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:11:22 PM

This was my 4th year and sorry to say the most dissapointing so far - and it wasn't the mud's fault. First off I have to say the organisation is always good, the staff great (they just keep on smiling) and I will be back to give it another chance. Moans & groans are:

What happened to the Blues ? I know 'Blues & Roots' covers a multitude of sins but the blues seems to be going missing ! Too much opandering the the young triple j crowd (I'm not an old fart but you try listening to the music when the group of drunk teenagers next to you are all either shrieking to eachother or shouting into their mobiles). John Butler's great but Butler, Franti et al as the festivals headliners ??? I don't think so. In the past we've had Bo Diddley, Solomon Burke, George Thorogood, Keith Urban, John Fogerty, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Jools Holland, Bob Geldof etc... where were they this year ? C'mon let's get some real headliners back next year.

Went into Mojo half an hour before John Bulter started on Sunday...couldn't move ! First time I felt a little uneasy with the crowding. Are too many being let in ?

Cost of drinks - I'm sorry but $10.00 for a Bundy & Coke smells of ripoff to me. Why so much ? And CD's are often more than I can get them in the high street.

Don't get me wrong, I love Bluesfest. It's the highlight of the year but just not this year so here's hoping for next year. Keeling them crossed.
zyfert
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:31:48 PM

dancollins wrote:
In the past we've had Bo Diddley, Solomon Burke, George Thorogood, Keith Urban, John Fogerty, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Jools Holland, Bob Geldof etc... where were they this year ?

They were all where they always are, in Crossroads and Jambalaya.

This year we had Sonny Landreth, Booker T, Watermelon Slim, Blues Traveler, James Hunter, Eugene Hideaway Bridges, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Seasick Steve, Blind Boys, Eric Bibb, Terrance Simien, Tony Joe White, need I go on?

Z
warrenselby-jones
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:25:44 PM

Zyfert,
You are right my friend, there were some quality acts in Crossroads and Jambalaya, Tony Joe White, James Hunter , Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Eric Bibb, Ruthie Foster and Sonny Landreth. My other guess on the poor overseas top quality blues bands was caused by the poor Oz dollar to US dollar cash rate causing Mr. Noble a cash crisis in booking bands at top US dollar rates maybe??????????? All the best Wazza
Brettjack
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:44:18 AM

I've also been suffering what I thought was "old man's syndrome" for the last few years - been telling friends thatit's becoming more like BDO with each passing year. This IS supposed to be a "Blues and Roots" festival, so why the hell are we getting the likes of Gotye and Eskimo Joe?
I'll be giving Tyagarah a go, and if it keeps going the same way, it'll be adiois from me, too - after 15 years. What a shame that'll be.

There is no "good" or "bad" music - there is just music.
Live and let live!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:08:21 AM

No it won't BrettJack,if that is your attitude it will be great not to have you at Bluesfest.

We don't need Whingers on this board who have a personal axe to gring with the Bluesfest Team.

Bye Bye.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
gibosity
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 12:16:06 PM

Lone Ranger, I have to ask - who are you exactly? Your defensive response to even the slightest criticism of Bluesfest suggests you have either a personal or professional connection with the BF team? Just asking.

While I agree that some criticism on these boards is unwarranted and harsh, some of it is fair. In these instances, I think the only thing these people are guilty of is ineffective communication. It would be unwise for Mr Noble & Co to ignore ALL the crtiques/criticisms/suggestions (call them what you will) on this board, as some ppl raise some valid issues.

Having said that, I believe the Bluesfest ARE smart enough to listen and discern. It's one of the reasons that Bluesfest is as uas it is! I went in 2008, loved it, and will be back again this year.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 1:00:01 PM

I would suggest to you that there are no regular posters on this board who have an intimate relationship with the Bluesfest directors.

I met Mike Chugg on a scooter one year and that is as close as my relationship is.

People who exercise selective morality by singling out 1 or 2 artists who take up miniscule time out of 55 odd hours of music,need to study statistics and understand that their viewpoints are flawed.

Such comments also display a lack of experience in acting as a promoter for such a Festival as Bluesfest and understanding how to do it without going broke.

To put it simply,it is nit picking.

Peter Noble owns this board,thus I show him the respect he deserves.

We have been through the "Why Is it not a Blues Festival anymore" "What Is Roots and what is not" "why is the 'elsewhere'' creeping in" on numerous occasions,and have worn the subjects out.

I will not attack valid criticism.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
sbetts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:08:08 PM

I concer Lone ranger I will repeat as my mother told me If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all. We all have such a wonderful opportunity to see new (and much loved old acts ) for a resasonable price its hard to understand why you would be bitching. Of course the kids have to come its a festival for everyone I stay away from the big tent which is fine with me. BE COOL lets have fun and get off Nobel's case.. Go on you organize this festival I dare ya!!!!
downs1
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 12:54:59 AM

In regards to my original post i have had time to reflect on the festival. Yes it was messy and packed but come oct last year i purchased my tickets again and we fly in three days before to soak up the wonderful atmospere and prepare for the best music festival in the world. Not to mention some of the best food around. Love Bluesfest love Byron wish we lived closer coz i hate flying. 56 more sleepless nights.
ScottM
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 7:43:40 AM

Good to hear downs1 - let's hope for plenty more blue sky this year so that the conditions don't get the better of the deep lineup.

Make sure you catch Little Band o' Gold.