Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

credit card fees Options
pod2006
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 7:20:22 AM
Groups: Member

will be charged on tix purchases after July. Funny that- they were charged when I purchased my 5 tix during the festival in April. Not complaining, just responding to the big announcement. Must have missed the earlier one.

Credit card fees are a bit of a pet hate. Will a time come when there is no positives for the punter to have a card? Charged by the supplier of the goods; extorted by the Bank with card fees and interest charges. Terms & conditions that make it is a clear as a delta swamp. Anyways, back to the music:

There's an evenin' haze settlin' over town
Starlight by the edge of the creek
The buyin' power of the proletariat's gone down
Money's gettin' shallow and weak...

Meet me at the bottom, don't lag behind
Bring me my boots and shoes
You can hang back or fight your best on the frontline
Sing a little bit of these workingman's blues
skot20_58
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 8:34:30 AM

Direct transfer.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
regards
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 1:16:44 PM

Is there a provision for BPAY?

Even greedy bastards like QANTAS or Telecom, dont try and charge you a fee when you utilise that option to pay them.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 1:59:10 PM

We were tramping in Fiordland at the weekend.
Went into the Te Anau Lake Front Café,which is now Japanese owned.
A large sign on the back of the till stated that any payments by credit card will attract a 5 % surcharge.

The local Chinese owned takeaway shop has a large sign stating that they simply do not accept credit cards.
Only Eftpos and Cash are accepted.
That eliminates any possible friction.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
zyfert
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 4:12:29 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
We were tramping in Fiordland at the weekend.

What a uniquely Kiwi expression:

Tramping, known elsewhere as hiking, rambling, hill walking or bushwalking, is a popular activity in New Zealand.
Tramping is defined as a recreational activity involving walking over rough country carrying all the required food and equipment.[1] The term is generally used for trips that are of at least one overnight stay in the backcountry.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 4:59:09 PM

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/backcountry-huts-by-region/otago/queenstown-wakatipu/mckellar-hut/
Yes that is correct.
Last year we planned to do the same tramp but canned it due to snow warnings.
And it was fortunate we didn't do it because we would have needed two days extra supplies as the road from Te Anau to Milford Sound was closed with snow for two days after our planned trek in.
There was a young couple from Maine who were staying at McKellar for a couple of weeks as part of a 12 month trek around the country.
They had bought a seasons pass and that allows you to use these huts as often as you like instead of paying $15 per night.
They were not there when we arrived on Sat as they had walked out on Fri to the road to hitch into Te Anau to get more provisions.
And on the way had left their sleeping bags at Howden Hut intending to stay there on the way back rather than walk the extra two hours to McKellar.
But when they got back to Howden[which is a junction hut with the busy Routeburn Track] on Sat,someone had stolen his sleeping bag.
So he walked onto McKellar to ask if anyone there had seen it.
He arrived after dark,and then walked the two hours back again to stay at Howden.
So on Sun he hitched out to Te Anau again to buy a blanket to combine with her sleeping bag.
She came through to us on Sun and said that her father who lived in Hawaii,was going to buy one off Amazon and bring it down in a month's time.
He didn't get back on Sun due to lack of rides.
On Mon he hitched a ride with a family,but they hit ice on the way in and rolled the camper van.
So the rescue services took them all back to Te Anau where he talked to the same policeman who he had reported his stolen sleeping bag to.
Then rescue felt obligated to give him a ride back in and we met him just as we came out to the carpark about 2pm on Mon.
We saw the camper van with orange tape round it on the way out.
As a peace offering,I gave the girl all my spare supplies before we left.
She had an injury just below her hip from walking the Kepler and couldn't carry a heavy pack.
She would have been wondering where he had got to.
I learnt that Maine has lots of wild blueberries,bears and maple syrup trees.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 11:19:48 PM

Bluesfest is charging 1.5 % which is at the cheap end of Credit Card Charges.

My return Airfares to Sydney for Narooma on Virgin Airlines read as follows :
Basic Fare............... $620.00
Taxes & Charges....... $134.28
Card Fee................... $12.00
Total Debit to Visa Card $766.28
So Virgin Airlines are no cheaper than Bluesfest
And they have a much bigger turnover so you would expect them to get a better deal.

I have just pulled out the 3 tickets I bought to see Lil Band O' Gold in 2012
Base Price $48.50 times 3 = $145.50
Add Agency Fee ...............= $10.00
Add Visa Fee ...................= $3.18
Total Debit to Visa Card.....= $158.68
So that is also more expensive than Bluesfest.

mgwfall
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 7:00:53 PM

LoneRanger posted on the Big Day Out thread

"And all the whingers who complain about the price of tickets and credit card charges on tickets should offer an apology to Peter Noble.
Or start their own festival ."

I can not believe you used the the collapse of Big Day Out to continue your rant about people getting annoyed at credit card fees (& the connection between your comment & the article you linked to???)

Sorry Lone, but most Australian businesses don't charge a surcharge for paying by credit card. (I'm one of those people that buy with the credit card & pay it off each month, so I would notice if I was paying a surcharge on everything), It may be different in NZ.

So, many of us Australians are annoyed that Bluesfest is starting to charge a surcharge (& it was a special extra surcharge for buying at the festival), & I'm sorry, but it doesn't matter how many times you tell us we are wrong to be annoyed, it's unlikely to change the fact that we are annoyed, so can you please give it a rest.

We are likely to change the way we pay, or continue to pay by credit card & be annoyed about the surcharge, so we will sort it out without your help, so please send the subject on holiday (obviously after you reply, as I'm sure you will, to this)

Further question though on the cost on collecting payment, did the people who paid cash for their tickets at the festival also get charged a surcharge to cover the costs of collecting, reconciling, securing & banking their payment?
waffles
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 10:21:34 AM

went and saw tex perkins and charlie owens at the ballina rsl last night and they charged a booking fee of $2.95 when we bought our tickets at the club.we at least paid for 2 tickets togeather and only got 1 fee.
very stripped back acoustic set..just the 2 of them and another guitarist for a few songs.
with tex you never know what to expect. he played a don walker song and rang don on his mobile,held the mobile up to the mic. and got don to sing the opening lines.thats a new one for me.Applause

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
bambambam
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 10:25:38 AM

mgwfall wrote:

Sorry Lone, but most Australian businesses don't charge a surcharge for paying by credit card. (I'm one of those people that buy with the credit card & pay it off each month, so I would notice if I was paying a surcharge on everything), It may be different in NZ.

That's true, most retail stores don't generally charge you.
But lots of restaurants and anything to do with purchasing tickets do usually charge you.
I see the little sign everywhere I go, (credit card surcharge 5%)
We even got hit last month at the duty free shop in coolangatta airport on our way to Japan.
(We have relatives in Japan, a rare trip for us nowdays)

My wife keeps our credit card a couple of hundred in the black.
We use it for convenience and make sure it's always cleared before the end of each month.
I know people that run their whole businesses through credit cards,
They use the points to go skiing in Aspen and crazy stuff like that.
Money makes Money makes Money (but we are not those people)
A thousand dollars is a big deal to us, we are simple TINKS working as permanent casuals.
RSL meal last night at Nerang cost us $11.50 with members rates, that's how we roll nowdays.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
skot20_58
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 11:22:41 AM

waffles wrote:
went and saw tex perkins and charlie owens at the ballina rsl last night and they charged a booking fee of $2.95 when we bought our tickets at the club.we at least paid for 2 tickets togeather and only got 1 fee.
very stripped back acoustic set..just the 2 of them and another guitarist for a few songs.
with tex you never know what to expect. he played a don walker song and rang don on his mobile,held the mobile up to the mic. and got don to sing the opening lines.thats a new one for me.Applause

The phone call to don. That is brilliant :)

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
mpember
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 1:19:59 PM

mgwfall wrote:
I can not believe you used the the collapse of Big Day Out to continue your rant about people getting annoyed at credit card fees

Passive aggressive is par for the course.

mgwfall wrote:
So, many of us Australians are annoyed that Bluesfest is starting to charge a surcharge (& it was a special extra surcharge for buying at the festival)

The charge was only being absorbed in the past because it is illegal to "drip price" an unavoidable fee. It was only after introducing an alternative method of payment for online purchases that they are now able to add the fee and still advertise the base ticket price.

mgwfall wrote:
Further question though on the cost on collecting payment, did the people who paid cash for their tickets at the festival also get charged a surcharge to cover the costs of collecting, reconciling, securing & banking their payment?

It looks like those of us who paid with a credit card subsidised the free-loaders who obviously have a vested interest in keeping the till operators in business.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 1:38:20 PM

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/credit-cards/credit-card-tips
Consumers who pay by cash are effectively subsidising credit card users.
I like that statement.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 1:42:09 PM

bambambam wrote:

That's true, most retail stores don't generally charge you.
But lots of restaurants and anything to do with purchasing tickets do usually charge you.
I see the little sign everywhere I go, (credit card surcharge 5%)
We even got hit last month at the duty free shop in coolangatta airport on our way to Japan.
(We have relatives in Japan, a rare trip for us nowdays)

My wife keeps our credit card a couple of hundred in the black.
We use it for convenience and make sure it's always cleared before the end of each month.
I know people that run their whole businesses through credit cards,
They use the points to go skiing in Aspen and crazy stuff like that.
Money makes Money makes Money (but we are not those people)
A thousand dollars is a big deal to us, we are simple TINKS working as permanent casuals.
RSL meal last night at Nerang cost us $11.50 with members rates, that's how we roll nowdays.

Thank you for your frankness.
I share your philosophy in regard to eating out.
You are the voice of reason.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 1:53:14 PM

http://www.visa.co.nz/mediacenter/factsheets/interchange_anz_national.shtml
I recently paid an insurance bill for a dwelling based on $398,000 replacement cost
It was issued by Aon New Zealand through PGG Wrightson's brokerage.
Aon are a world wide insurance organisation.
It reads as follows :
Premium............................ $709.23
Earthquake Commission Levy $150.00
Fire Service Levy.................. $76.00
GST................................... $140.28
Total................................. $1075.51
Payment options
AAA
Electronic Funds Transfer
BBB
Cheque
CCC
Monthly Instalments.
You can pay your account in monthly instalments through our finance facility.
DDD
Credit Card[Visa and MasterCard only]
Use your credit card to pay online.
A transaction fee of 1 % applies to credit card payments.

I paid by cheque thus avoided the credit card handling fee that Aon needed to charge me if I had done so[because the bank will charge them 1 %].
An electronic transfer would have achieved the same end.

mpember
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 3:36:19 PM

Do BF process all their payments through an account in NZ? Hopefully they aren't mercy to fluctuations in the value of NZ currency.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
it is made clear that Bluesfest provides Eftpos Facilities.

The POS in ETFPOS stands for Point Of Sale. This is rarely a term used in reference to online sales. Are you saying that it should now be the norm to expect people who want to purchase online to instead go into the office to make an offline purchase?

None of that changes the fact that it was not legal for BF to charge an additional fee when the only method of payment for online purchases was via a credit card. With the pending (it does not appear to have taken place and is likely to be part of the planned 'upgrades') introduction of EFT as an accepted method of payment for online purchases, the legal restriction will no longer apply. This is the reason for the timing of the introduction of a CC fee. The Joomla CMS (which the BF website runs on) is not designed for large online stores. The bulk of the payment plugins are designed for Paylpal or specific credit card processing companies. It is likely that the module current being used limited the integration of offline payment methods. It is also not uncommon for certain web developers to chose to work with a set of known, proven plugins to avoid having to undertake too much development work in making their themes compatible with lesser-used plugins. They probably would have loved to do it sooner, but the cost/hassle of updating the ecommerce component of the website may have been a factor in the delay.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:29:02 PM

Great to see that Bluesfest Credit Card fees are now at 2 %.
They need that to cover what the banks charge them.
How many posters can remember what life was before credit cards
Or before television
Or before computers
Or going to the shop and you could buy three types of bread...white unsliced brown unsliced and sandwich white sliced
Or when bars closed at 6pm.
I can.
We survived...somehow.
Yesterday's Luxuries are Today's necessities.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 7:28:45 PM

Tickets to Nick Cave Auckland 6th and 7th December 2014.

Base ticket price................ $89.30
Plus GST @ 15 %................$13.40
Plus Credit Card Fee.............$2.05
Plus GST @ 15 %.................$0.31
plus Order Processing Fee.....$4.35
Plus GST @ 15 %..................$0.65
Total payment......................$110.06

So credit card fee = 2.30 % of base ticket price.
Government gets GST of $13.40 plus $0.31 plus $0.65 =$14.36.
Visa gets $2.05 revenue
Ticketmaster gets $4.35 revenue
Promoter gets $89.30 revenue

"A payment processing fee of no more than 2.3 % applies to purchases by credit card,debit card or gift card.
The payment processing fee includes[but is not limited to] credit card and debit card fees and expenses,administration and associated infrastructure costs"

The order processing fee includes GST,courtesy of the GST Act 1985.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 7:46:36 PM

Jetstar return airfares Queenstown to Auckland to see Nick Cave
Base Fares.......................... $147.83
Plus GST @ 15 %...................$22.17
Plus Visa Fee...........................$8.69
Plus GST on Visa Fee @ 15 %.....$1.31
Total payment.........................180.00

Government collects GST of $22.17 + $1.31 = $23.48
Visa receives $8.69 revenue
Jetstar receives $147.83 revenue.

Based on a straight flight time of 2082 km return,Jetstar is charging 7.10 cents per km.
I do not understand how the airline can possible be making any profit from this.

greybeard
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 9:00:58 PM

Ke-mo sah-bee
Your lists may be valid in N.Z. in Oz it is illegal to state a sale price and then add GST (you can certainly show the GST content)
So
Jetstar return airfares Queenstown to Auckland to see Nick Cave
Base Fares.......................... $170
Plus Visa Fee...........................$10
Total payment.........................180.00 Is all that's required.
Much simpler.

It's better for an airline to get $147.83 for a seat than to have it remain empty. It's a much research art that allows airlines to offer
the same seats at three or more prices over its sale period.
Musical offering-:- Keep the Customers Satisfied.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.