Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Refund on pre-paid parking? Options
waz
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 8:06:08 PM
Groups: Member

3 out of the 4 days I attended the car park was closed, having paid $50 in October last year for pre-paid parking (thinking I was getting a better deal buying a 5-day pass to find out it was only ten bucks a day at the door!) , I shall be shooting off an email to find out how I can get a refund (or partial one).

Obviously it was closed due to the weather, but I can't see why I should have to fork out the coin when I couldn't (legally) get a parking spot within 2 clicks of Belongil. Anyone else of the same opinion/situation?

suave
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:42:00 AM

The disabled car park was good but no one told us we would be in lock down from 9pm till 1pm on Friday night. We'd only got to drive less than 100 metres... unreal. We sat there for over two hours waiting for the crowds to go and then we persuaded a security guy to let us out at 12.30pm. At least the next night we were told ahead there would be lock down from 11.00 pm to 1.00pm so we were warned.

Sorry that is 1am 1
JacquiB
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:32:48 PM

Yes I had the same thought; I have written a complaint as we ended up (after missing an act we really wanted to see while looking for a spot in that industrial area)
parking on private/factory property, being worried about getting towed or fined so we only stayed an hour at the festival Monday.
After pre-paying so many months ago I think the least the organisers can do is refund that parking when we were refused entry.
Even when we left the factory parking we drove past & STILL couldn't get in (1.5 hours later), so we headed back to Brisbane. Very unhappy about losing a day.
zyfert
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:50:05 PM

waz wrote:
3 out of the 4 days I attended the car park was closed

The only day the carpark was closed to all was on Monday due to the deteriorating conditions.
I parked there for 4 days without a drama.
The first 2 days it was open to all.
The 3rd and 4th days it was open ONLY to pre-paid parking ticket holders.
On the 5th day everyone parked wherever they could around the Industrial area.
I got a spot straight opposite the servo and walked in through the carpark which was a mess.
They had trucks coming in bringing roadbase to spread along the access tracks to get the people out who were already in the carpark.

dtucker
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:06:00 AM

Sure, nothing can be done about the weather and the organisers did try to keep the car park open as long as possible but some warning about the car park closure on Monday would have been nice. Even a few signs hanging below the signs indicating the turn-off to the car park saying that it was closed would have helped instead of just trying to turn into the car park to be met by two guys waving us away. We had no idea where to go, what parking was allowed - only that we were going to be very late. What about a bulk text to pre-paid parking holders warning them they they had no parks and to get there earlier? We were left high and dry (a rarity for the weekend).

Dan...
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:31:43 AM

dtucker wrote:
We were left high and dry (a rarity for the weekend).

:-D

The poster formerly known as Dan
waz
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:16:14 AM

zyfert wrote:
waz wrote:
3 out of the 4 days I attended the car park was closed

The only day the carpark was closed to all was on Monday due to the deteriorating conditions.
I parked there for 4 days without a drama.
The first 2 days it was open to all.
The 3rd and 4th days it was open ONLY to pre-paid parking ticket holders.
On the 5th day everyone parked wherever they could around the Industrial area.
I got a spot straight opposite the servo and walked in through the carpark which was a mess.
They had trucks coming in bringing roadbase to spread along the access tracks to get the people out who were already in the carpark.

Well, zyfert, when I arrived on Thursday afternoon I was told the car park was full, (I imagine the flouro said that as it was raining) and they were in the process of putting a sign up, I said I had a pre-paid ticket and that was ridiculous, and he let me in to sort it out myself. We came and left many times over Friday Saturday and Monday and the car park was closed and open at different times through out.
I am glad you had a much more successful parking experience!
gemshell
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:23:09 AM
Groups: Guest

I bought 5 days parking and had no trouble at all till Monday AFTER all the rain and the car park was closed...we had to park a long way away, but - the last day...big deal...lost $10!!! I couldn't be bothered to even try to get it back...as it had probably gone to a local group....on Thursday when we got to car park about 4:00ish, there was signs advising only prepaid parking available....All you needed was a bit of 'common sense' to realize that all was done that could be done....except a sign on Monday saying the car park was closed and to go to industrail area to park..

Still had a great time....
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:56:15 AM

We arrived early at Bluesfest each day,on the first four days before or around opening time,and on Monday,because I didn't wake until 11.30am, at about 1.15 pm.

AAA

We had an hour's drive each day to get to the festival site.

We got parks on the first four days,and it was only on the Monday that we could not gain entry.

The Monday was no sweat...I just drove up the road and took the second left turn into the road where there was a tourist park on the right and then houses further on.

I parked in front of some bushland,on the grass verge.

We then had a few hundred metres walk back to the main road,round the corner,a few more metres along then through the marshalled pedestrian crossing and into the main entrance.

Like taking candy from a baby.

When we arrived on the Thursday,the lady at the gate told me they had 344 prepaid spaces on Thursday,and 800[equates to sold out] for the following three days.

After the rain on Sunday night,I'm not surprised the car park was closed on Monday.

If the festival had been held at Murwillumbah,where we stayed,the car park would have been closed every day,as it pissed down with rain all the time.

As I saw it,you took a punt and paid $50 on line for the five days,or turned up each day[as I did in previous years] and paid $10 at the gate each day.

You pay your money and take your chances.

BBB

dtucker...When I drove along the road,and got adjacent to the entrance I could clearly see the car park was closed on Monday,so used my Kiwi ingenuity and drove further along the road to pursue other options.

As for a bulk text to prepaid parking holders to warn them they had no parks...I am a 55 year old non yuppie and don't have a yuppie phone,and don't know how to text.

I was not left high and dry...There are always solutions at hand.

We had no further to walk from where we parked on the Monday compared to if we had parked in the car parks.

As I understand it,as with previous years,the parking attendees were there to raise funds for charitable causes..It used to be the local schools..I assume it is still the same.

CCC

JacquiB...If my ingenuity had left me unable to find a park within a couple of kms of the festival site,I would have driven into Byron itself and parked just out of the retail area.

There is plenty of parking space in Byron itself.

Why limit yourself to the industrial area ?

I then would have caught a bus out to Belongil...and then back at night into Byron to retrieve my car.

To suggest that you had to return to Brisbane is weak and shows a lack of initiative.

What would you do if you were faced with a real crisis in your life ? How would you possibly cope ?

DDD

Suave I assume you mean 9pm till 1am[not pm].

I never expect to get out of the carpark on any day until 1 am.

We got back to Murwillumbah each night at around 2.15 am.

Once the crowds start leaving there are continual bottlenecks,accentuated by the line of traffic coming put of the carpark meeting up on the main road with the traffic coming from the Byron direction.

EEE

As I actually got a Monday carpark as good as the other days,what did I lose in monetary terms ?..nothing of course..

FFF

On the Thursday when it was obvious that the car park was going to be a difficult beast,I was unimpressed to see PetrolHeads spinning their tyres on the grass to demonstrate that there are plenty of Boofheads out there driving around.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
waffles
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:13:16 PM

seems simple to me too,lone ranger. just go to plan b.

p.s. love the red sox.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
dtucker
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:00:48 PM

Patrick,

It may have been easy going arriving at 1.30 but by 3.30 when we arrived the traffic was pretty heavy and a bit of pre-warning that we couldn't turn into the car park would have made life easier, especially for those of us not blessed with kiwi ingenuity. It would have taken little effort to change the signs directing people to the car park to parking closed signs.
The nearest parking space was quite a bit further away than yours by 3.30 and was a long walk for us, especially our daughter who was getting pretty worn out after 5 days heavy going through the mud. That's why a text would have been nice so we could have known to get there early too. Feel free to eschew yuppie technology if you don't like it but I don't see why the rest of us can't benefit from it. It's much easier to go to plan B if you're actually aware of the need to have plan B.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 11:52:05 PM

dtucker,

Yesterday's luxuries are today's necessities.

Mic Conway presented a great song about the subject.

Whenever I see people at Bluesfest taking or making a call on their yuppie phones I tend to think that it is about time they went and did it rough somewhere for a while.

When I am at Bluesfest for five days,I want five days immersed in music,with no telephone,no newspaper and no television.

I have a brother who is a communications technician who I could ask as to how Bluesfest texts 800 people to tell them the car park is closed,as I suppose it is straight forward.

I do agree that it would have been useful to have had signs on the way in from the main highway to forewarn people...but when I got there you were not allowed to progress past the main road,so it was not as if people were driving in on the Monday and turning around once they got up the drive.

Thus the signs would not have achieved much in reality.

In your situation,with a young child on board,I would have headed for town,got a park and hitched a ride on the bus out there,and back into town later on.

With Red Devil,I used to catch a bus out each day,and walk back at night for some exercise.

With a young child,it would have been a bus out and back.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:33:28 AM

By theloneranger at 2009-04-17

Hi Waffles,

Keith told me you had a yarn to him.

He generally comes over with a big Maori mate they call the Chief,but Chief was away on family business,so Keith came with me.

He had his hip done last year...too many years standing in gumboots on a concrete floor at the freezing works,so wisely spent alot of time sitting down.

That must have been on Thursday in Jambalaya as that was the only day I had socks and shoes on.

By the next morning when I couldn't get the shoes dry,it was onto plan B for the rest of the festival..which didn't include socks.

Which reminds me,when I worked at the freezer it used to intrigue me to see guys in mid winter lining up to catch the bus,with socks and jandals on..generally Maori boys.

ScottM
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:28:20 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
dtucker,

Yesterday's luxuries are today's necessities.

Mic Conway presented a great song about the subject.

Whenever I see people at Bluesfest taking or making a call on their yuppie phones I tend to think that it is about time they went and did it rough somewhere for a while.

When I am at Bluesfest for five days,I want five days immersed in music,with no telephone,no newspaper and no television.

I have a brother who is a communications technician who I could ask as to how Bluesfest texts 800 people to tell them the car park is closed,as I suppose it is straight forward.

I do agree that it would have been useful to have had signs on the way in from the main highway to forewarn people...but when I got there you were not allowed to progress past the main road,so it was not as if people were driving in on the Monday and turning around once they got up the drive.

Thus the signs would not have achieved much in reality.

In your situation,with a young child on board,I would have headed for town,got a park and hitched a ride on the bus out there,and back into town later on.

With Red Devil,I used to catch a bus out each day,and walk back at night for some exercise.

With a young child,it would have been a bus out and back.

Careful Patrick, you're in danger of "preaching" again, haha.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:00:51 AM

By theloneranger at 2009-04-18

Quite correct Scott.

ScottM
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:52:06 AM

Haha, touche`