Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The best singer?? Options
repete
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:02:15 PM
Groups: Member

I was going to stick this on the clips thread but thought it would be lost there and a lotta people would miss 8 minutes of bliss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYfblzP51c&list=RDdaWzE8PjpNo&index=11

The late, great Johnny Adams. Some say the greatest male voice....ever.

That's a very young Jon Cleary on piano, and George Porter Jr on bass. The blues at its funkiest.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
hardtack
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:31:39 PM

He was superb alright, but for mine, the best vocalist is this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0bsWl-GnOo
repete
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:35:49 PM

Solomon Burke and Mahalia Jackson were responsible for two of my most cherished music experiences, albeit indirectly in Mahalia's case.

The first time I saw Solomon Burke at the 2004 bluesfest left me speechless. His second gig at the same fest was equally amazing as the first. I went for a wander around the back of the Crossroads tent hoping to quickly get a beer while there were no queues. It was while he was singing a medley of old songs like Tutti Frutti, Lucille, Everybody Needs Somebody to Love. Everybody running all the different stalls outside Crossroads (merchandise, jewellery, clothing, food, beer) were dancing their arses off - there was no way a customer was going to get a look in. The only way I was going to get a drink was to tell the girl behind the bar there was no need to stop dancing while she got me a beer - cheers!! I have never seen anything like it at any fest or gig anywhere I have attended - and they all looked great too!

The Mahalia Jackson experience was to witness Irma Thomas dedicating an entire show to the songs of Mahalia Jackson in the gospel tent at jazzfest in 2007. It was packed to the rafters with a huge crowd also outside the tent listening in. Irma was radiant and sang like an angel in her voice of pure honey (has anyone noticed when Irma sings that there are absolutely no embellishments - no ooh's or aah's or baaaybeeee's??). Less than 2 years after Katrina, she was singing to all the survivors and there was hardly a dry eye in the tent. At the end, when I turned around to leave, I noticed high up on the wall of the tent an old black and white photo of Mahalia Jackson with Duke Ellington taken at the first jazzfest in 1970.

The reason I chose male singers is that I think the great female singers hugely outnumber the men!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:48:20 PM

Psy

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
spanner1
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:52:20 PM

repete wrote:
I was going to stick this on the clips thread but thought it would be lost there and a lotta people would miss 8 minutes of bliss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYfblzP51c&list=RDdaWzE8PjpNo&index=11

The late, great Johnny Adams. Some say the greatest male voice....ever.

That's a very young Jon Cleary on piano, and George Porter Jr on bass. The blues at its funkiest.
Have to agree repete that Johnny Adams was the greatest and purest male vocalist I have ever had the pleasure of listening to . Unfortunately i never got to see him. His 1998 album Man of My Word is still on high rotation in my house. The first track Even Now I think is possibly the best male vocal recording i have ever heard and i urge bb's have a listen to it and see that it doesn't send shivers down your spine. I loved both of Solomon's performances at BF but don't think he holds a candle to Johnny in power and vocal purity. Just my opinion though.
on on
spanner
repete
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:00:33 AM

Please don't mention the guy on the other thread Silenced

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:05:31 PM

repete wrote:
Please don't mention the guy on the other thread Silenced

Ha ha ha ha ha :)

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:01:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V430M59Yn8&feature=kp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkMVscR5YOo&feature=kp

Anyone who saw the sublime Chris Isaak show at Bluesfest will have hooked into these songs,which had the ladies swooning.
As John Lennon said "Before Elvis there was nothing."[in terms of white musical icons of course]

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
Space5279
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:51:28 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

Anyone who saw the sublime Chris Isaak show at Bluesfest will have hooked into these songs,which had the ladies swooning.
As John Lennon said "Before Elvis there was nothing."[in terms of white musical icons of course]

Except of course this bloke The Chairman Of The Board

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:15:29 PM

Yes musicans with a leaning towards melody and light jazz in the 65 and over bracket have that opinion.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
repete
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:41:01 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:

Hank Williams.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen