Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

JazzFest 2014 Options
regards
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 12:06:24 AM
Groups: Member

Bit late with this, but better late than never.

I did get around to sending any reports back from Nola whilst I was there, due to go ongoing computer problems.

But I have been home for a week now, and will mention some stuff. I am trying to give my liver a well earned rest

I must say that it was a battle for a while as I was stuffed when I got there as I was only home for 8 hours post BluesFest before heading back

to the airport. Some feet problems came up on the plane, but some local Nola magic tablets, thankfuly solved that.

Got there wednesday arvo and dumped bags at apartment and raced over to the Laffeyete square to see paul sanchez and the rolling road show, followed by Theresea anderson, which was a good way to ease in to things, followed by some low key band in my fave dive bar Checkpoint Charlie.

next day I was stuffed, but I saw Kermit Ruffins in Armstrong Park, followed by a function in the gardens, which included the creole string beans and others, but my memory fails me.

This year at Fest, I watched a lot of smaller acts, and was able to zoom around between stages with a bit of ease, due to luckliy having the right pass. And having a wanderlust, and short attention span, post Byron.

The weather for the 2 weeks was mostly great, very similiar to the Bluesfest weather, just a tad warmer,

first friday I saw tommy Singleton, last few songs of Chris Thomas King, half of the Brassaholics, some of LilBuck Sinegal, most of Eric Lindell. A few songs of Santana, and a fair bit of Joe Louis Walker. All were good.

Saturday, I once again moved around a bit, and saw portions of Raw Oyster Cult, Davell Crawford, Royal Southern Brotherhood, Sonny Landreth The Mavericks,
Los Hombres Calientes and 101 runners, lasted for 1 song of Robert Plant, same as Bluesfest last year. But it was a great day.

Sunday, same running around as other days, saw bits of Bonerama, Rockin Doopsie, Tab Benoit, Big Chief Monk Bodreaux and the Golden Eagles,

most of John Hiatt with full band, very good, and finished off with the second half of Eric Claptons set, which I enjoyed, some others thought it was too mellow, but I enjoyed seeing him play with Chris Stainton, Andy Fairweather Low and Paul Carrack.

The Monday between, we were up to mischief early and I know we saw some good stuff at the music factory during the day, and it is all a blur from then on in and I did not write anything down, I ended up at an Irish bar in the quarter and a friend was playing guitar with Kim Carson.

Next day was a beauty some friends of mine put on a charity bash and we were at it by noon. The weather looked sus early but behaved and we had playing in order. Paul Sanchez and John Boutte, Billy Iuso and the restless Natives, Chris Mule and the perpetrators. Rebirth Brass Band . The New Orleans Suspects and finished off with John Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen. All of these guys played very well, from what I can recollect, amidst the great frivolity and carrying on, brownies etc. great fun day indeed.

Wednesday I was starting to wane, but battled on, cant remember what I did early , but got invited to a backyard crawfish boil mid afternoon, at which Billy Iuso was playing with band in the garage, and that was cool, then an older guy strolled, with bone case in hand, and sat on the couch next to the stage and chats to the kids, and then Chris says, "we would like to welcome up our friend Fred Wesley. Fred played several songs with them which was very cool and sang one, I think. I have no idea what I did that night, but think I had fun.

I will continue with the second week shortly, and will try and find my magazine that noted some things I saw, as the memory is letting me down.
regards
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 12:13:03 AM

Second Thursday, the weather was still perfect, I started off with a bit of Colin Lake in the Blues tent, then saw a small bit of Kenny Bill Stinson,
ventured back over to the smaller jazz and heritage stage, and saw a great gig by the forgotten souls brass band, which featured some very good local players, who are descendants of some storied local musos. Followed that with a small bit of the Soul Rebels, and then headed back to the Blues Tent to see the might Johnny Sansone put on a top show, skipped over to congo square for several songs from the Wailers, Then watched about 20 minutes of String Cheese Incident who were good, and followed that with a fair portion of Lyle Lovett, who was excellent, and a short bit of the Mighty New Orleans Night Crawlers, and bailed early for the 15 minute walk to the Botanical Gardens, where for 10 bucks, we were treated to a very good show from Little Band O Gold, still sans Warren, sadly, followed by Royal Southern Brotherhood, doing Exile On Main Street, from start to finish, which was fantastic, they finished off with a couple of other songs, but my memory fails me. Very good day. As for what I did back in the quarter who knows.

Friday I got sidetracked by friends wielding Bloody Marys in transit and was a bit late getting in to the track. Started off with Warren Storm and Willie Tee at Fais DO -DO and they were good but not inspiring, I headed over to the second biggest stage to watch the up and coming Hurray For The Repuplican Riff Raff, who were very good. I then watched most of Alejandro Escovedo, who was also very good. Watched a portion of the Alabama Shakes on the 2nd biggest stage and they did not realy get me going, so I then saw a portion of Chaka Khan at Congo square, which I enjoyed, even though I knew little of the material. Followed this with a couple of songs from Christina Aguilera, at the big stage, who I know nothing of, but someone had told me she can actualy sing well. I saw about 2 songs and she can sing very well, then they did some big production number, and she was miming so I bailed out, which I now regret, because a friend said she stopped miming after the action stuff and did a good version of whole lotta love, and finished off well. I then finished the fest day with Charlie Bradley at the Blues tent, but his voice was battling for the last few songs I saw. finished off the night arounds some friends pool, and could not get motivated to go anywhere.

2ND Saturday was Springsteen day, and there were big crowds everywhere in town from early on. And even though I was later arriving than usual, it actualy took quite a while to get in the gate, so I then decided to stay well away from the big stage, where Bruce was going to be. I started off with a local lad Tommy Malone, of the Subdudes, and he was good as usual, his sardonic humour was intact. Then watched another bunch of up and comers The Revivalists, who are getting better all the time, they played very well and the crowd loved them, and we should he more of them. Headed back to the less crowded Jazz and Heritage Stage to see another great local part time group the Midnite Disturbers, who put on a top show, with some great playing. Followed this by heading to the nearby Blues tent to see a fantastic gig by Roy Rogers, whose playing is always a delight,Roy had great player with him on fiddle and this big fellow also got some unique sounds out of a small electric harp. I then had a silly idea of using my pass to get vaguely close to Bruce and see a little bit, but on the way, the crowd on the track putt me off, so I had a couple of beers and headed back to the Blues Tent and saw Johnny Winter put on a good rocking show. Johnny still looked frail when I saw him get assisted to stage, but his playing was fine, and his voice while not real strong seemed better that the last time I saw him. Song selection was excellent, and included most of Johnnys best rockin blues stuff. Good to see a legend still giving the people what they want.

Last Sunday and beyond TBC
repete
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 9:46:24 AM

Jumpin' Johnny Sansone would be fantastic at bluesfest (with Anders); so would the Midnite Disturbers, but sadly there's little to no chance of that. Tommy Malone too would be great (or a reformed subdudes would be even better!).

How were the after-fest street parties outside Liuzza's this year?

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 11:59:22 AM

repete wrote:
Jumpin' Johnny Sansone would be fantastic at bluesfest (with Anders); so would the Midnite Disturbers, but sadly there's little to no chance of that. Tommy Malone too would be great (or a reformed subdudes would be even better!).

How were the after-fest street parties outside Liuzza's this year?

Hi Mate

You are right. Jumping Johnny would go over a treat at BluesFest, put Anders on the Bill and they could share bands. That makes sense, seeing that Anders has played guitar and produced his last couple of records.

Anders at BluesFest, well that is a no brainer. Tommy Malone tours a fair bit and would also be very good, I have his album from last year which is fine, but not the very recent one, I forgot to get it at LMF, might have to go back in October to grab it.

The Subdudes and Midnite Disturbers, would both be great, but we can dream about that.

The after-fest street parties at Liuzzas were firing every night, and one night there was too many bands and they were drowning each other out, but that got sorted.
Some of the bands were realy good, and it was a fun atmosphere, a bit packed on Bruce night though, as was everywhere. Cant wait to do it again.

It was a great way to wind down, and have more fun, normally after that, I would go home for a swim, and just wander around close by, in the quarter, and end up at Checkpoint or whatever. I am not big on the crowded post fest shows, especialy when its hard to get a drink.

It was not smart to be tired before I left home, but from memory BluesFest only directly precededs JazzFest every 5 years or so. So who knows what will happen next time around. Do it while you can, I reckon.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:53:38 PM

Final Sunday the weather was still very good, mid 80s and mainly sunny.
No where near as packed as Bruce day, so all was good.

Started off with Johnathon Boogie Long who is a young rockin blues man from around Baton Rouge, I think.
And he was good again powers it out, and plays and sings well.

Then I saw most of Ivan neville`s dumpsta funk, they were good as usual, and featured Art Neville, , and had some fine guests including Cyril,
but it was a bit sad, as Art did not look well and hardly sang, and Cyril and others had to asist Poppa Funk when he left the stage.
I then did some running around and saw a small bit of Bobby Womack, at Congo Square, who sounded good, then raced over to the grandstand, to see
some of a very funny interview, with the one and only Bobby Lounge.
Quickly back to the Blues tent after that for the last 25 minutes of the legend Deacon John, who was very good as usual. The good man is also President of the Nola musos union.
I then watched a bit of Chick Corea, who sounded fine but I was too tired to sit in the Jazz Tent, so I headed back over to Fais Dos Dos, to see some of Robert Earle Keen, who sounded OK but I was a bit far away. So I kept going and saw some of Bobby Lounge under the granstand who was very entertaining.

Then finished off with the last 80 minutes of John Fogarty, which was when my pass came in handy and I could get a good spot in a restricted area, as the crowd was spread out, with Troy Andrews finishing off over on the other main stage, and also Maze and Aaron Nevlle, and Terrence Blanchard playing at the same time.

Fogarty was great he had a kick arse band, slightly rearranged some of his old standards and pumped them all out. I know he had some special guests, and Alan Tousaint and Rockin Doopsie guested on Proud Mary, the crowd loved it and it was a great finish, to a weather blessed festival.
We partied on the streets afterwards and I farewelled several friends, that night as usual is a blur, but we had fun.

Next day was a slightly later start, but it was oysters and Bloody Marys for lunch, and then over to the music factory to see what was going down.

We lucked out as Davell Crawford did a suprise performance, and was very good, with some friends guesting, Then Glen David Andrews did his normal full on show, which was very entertaining. Later on Johnny Sansone played and we were delighted to see Alan Tousaint walk in and join him on keys for a couple of songs, Johnny was good, if little more subdued than usual, and it capped off a great afternoon. Once again I have no idea what I did that night, but I presume I had fun.

Tuesday I was starting to run out of steam and did not do too much, farewelled some more friends and ended up later on at Bamboulas, a big new place on Frenchmen watching a newish local group, called the Dana Abbott Band who I enjoyed.

Wednesday was my last full day and I was battling, did a bit of shopping and started cleaning the condo, ended up at the square for the Wednesday series, and Otra started off and played a mixture Jazz, latin and fusion stuff which we all enjoyed. They were followed by a vetran local outfit the Iguanas who put on their usual good show. Then it was time for one more night of bar hopping and had to finish off at Checkpoint with a classic old rough around the edges Blues duo.

Another fun if slightly hectic 2 weeks and I think I might have to do it again. Will try and be in slightly better nick when i get there next year.

Suppose I better go back to Nola and surrounds in October to check the lay of the land.

Next year could be time for a few more Aussies to make the journey to Fest? It is well worth it.

Do it while you can, I reckon

repete
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:04:39 AM

Bobby Womack...glad he sounded good. Bit worried to hear about Art and hope he's OK.

I just finished watching the final episode of the final series of Treme, with John Boutte singing Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans. Sigh.......I gotta get back.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
youngbill
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:47:45 AM

Thanks for the reports. Happy to go with you.
bazcaz
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 3:53:27 PM

Hey Regards
Have you seen this site for Jazzfest recordings....you might like it.....check it out
https://www.munckmusic.com/wms/jazzfest/index.html

Music with PASSION Music with SOUL Music that MATTERS
waffles
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 3:59:13 PM

i bought the 3 cd set from them last year...good value,good range of artists.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
regards
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 8:58:54 PM

bazcaz wrote:
Hey Regards
Have you seen this site for Jazzfest recordings....you might like it.....check it out
https://www.munckmusic.com/wms/jazzfest/index.html

Hello Baz

You have to be carefull with stuff from Munck,as there have been many problems with CD quality and customer service/reponse time over the years.

I have had problems with discs I have purchased at Fest, when they have not played properley and they have been good in replacing them, but I try to check them back at our place, that night or next morning, and take em back if there is a problem the next fest day.

Too their credit, this year they replaced a couple of duds I has grabbed and not tried out before leaving the states last year

Friends in the States have had many hassles with on line CD purchases from them, and have been pissed off about the time it took to get a refund, or the disc replaced. So it is a gamble some times. But other have had no dramas.

As for downloads I do not know, because I have never been in to that, from anyone, due to the major problems with sound quality, that are endemic with anything like that.