Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Most recent special offer... $355 for 5 day ticket Options
phobkirk
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:41:17 PM
Groups: Member

Memo to Bluesfest Marketing:

I am a loyal Bluesfest customer, thanks for the recent email offering the great deal on tickets for 2015.

The only trouble is that I was so loyal that I bought tickets at the festival, at the "not to be repeated special offer price". Now I feel pretty stupid, as I paid $362.10 at the festival (x4) as the price included a credit card surcharge... I bought 4 adult tickets and didn't have $1,500 in cash on me, I don't know anyone who walks around with that kind of money in cash.

I then bought a couple of child tickets a few days ago for $90, so that I guess makes me even more loyal.

Then I get this email with the great offer, saying if I had waited (not been so loyal).... I could have saved myself nearly $50 (4x7.2 + 2x10)!

Now I feel loyal and stupid.

Bluesfest marketing get your act together please.
pod2006
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:09:41 AM

ditto ditto, doh.
InfidelRider
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 4:20:08 PM

Hmmm, lucky I paid cash at the festival then. They did the same thing last year as well, but not for nearly as long after the festival finished.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:24:32 PM

Whether it costs $1500 or $1550 in my opinion is trivia.
Much ado about nothing.
My ticket cost me $404.72 NZ,which is $362.16 Au converted at 0.9173 plus a credit card fee charged by Visa.
Concentrate on what is material which is the riches on offer at Bluesfest for a cost which is peanuts.
It is $5 to collect a hard copy ticket from the Bluesfest office,It is $10 to get a hard copy ticket mailed to you in Au and $15 to get it mailed internationally.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
bucetti1
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 7:03:59 PM

Yes.Some people are paying $1500.00 for night with the Stones.
Much ado about nothing indeed Mr Ranger.

When they go low-we go high.
BC1987
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 7:30:29 PM

i'm with you lone ranger, the small fee is nothing when you take into account the musical riches of the bluesfest experience which i have no doubt will be once again worth every last dollar i spent on my tickets for next year which all up was $1000 for my festival, camping & tent motel plus postage. it should be noted that in the coming weeks bluesfest will be implementing a credit card fee for all orders so for those unhappy they had to pay this surcharge at the festival you should know others will have to pay it as well in the near future when they purchase tickets for 2015, for reference this was mentioned in the most recent e-blast.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 8:48:51 PM

Basic Costs to attend Bluesfest for me are :
Return Airtickets Dn to Bris $805
Bluesfest Ticket including $9.95 Visa Currency conversion Charge $405
Five nights accommodation $214
Rental Car including fuel $610[about 1000km travelled = 60 c per km]
Carpark fees for own car at NZ Airport $58
Return travel to NZ airport 500kms @ 60c per km =$300
Total basic cost in NZ $ = $2392
If I book earlier,airfares could be close to $200 cheaper which reduces total cost to around $2200
But who knows.My return airfares from Queenstown to Sydney to attend Narooma are $766.
So $7.20 is peanuts and not worth posting about.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
phobkirk
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 8:23:05 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
So $7.20 is peanuts and not worth posting about.

Again advice, thanks mate but...

The post wasn't about $7.20, it was about irrational pricing.

I imagine it was an oversight, however most people who bought tickets at the festival would have noticed it, and probably felt the same way. Yes it's a small amount - so the question is why do it?

I bother to post about it to give BF feedback, as they probably were unaware - I can't imagine this was done on purpose.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 11:17:41 PM

I bought a hard copy ticket at the festival for $362.16 AU.
No special trip,cost or opportunity cost involved as I just happened to be walking past the ticket box going in and out of the festival plus sundry trips in and out to my car.
If I buy after the festival I expected to pay $355 AU for a hard copy ticket plus $5 for the collection from the Bluesfest office = $360 AU.
Of course I need to add the cost of transportation to get to that office plus the opportunity cost of using my time which I could be spending doing something else.
If I buy after the festival I expected to pay $355 AU for a hard copy ticket plus $10 postage if I live in Au = $365 AU
If I buy after festival I expected to pay $355 AU for a hard copy ticket plus $15 postage if I live offshore = $370 AU
Are you suggesting that they also throw the postage in for free.
I cannot see what is irrational in any of this.
Consumers have a choice as to whether to pay by cash,eftpos,credit card or debit card.
If I access cash from a terminal that is not owned by my bank,I pay a fee for using another bank's terminal.
If I access cash from a terminal that is owned by my bank,I pay no such fee.
If I pay by Eftpos to a retailer the retailer charges me no surcharge.
If I use a credit card,some retailers will charge me a surcharge and some will not.
I expect to pay a surcharge in some cases where margins are already low..eg petrol stations.
One question you can answer for me is whether Bluesfest accept Etfpos cards for ticket purchases at the festival.
If so then that is the obvious method to use.
I know nothing of debit cards apart from the fact that they exist.
As I have said before,my eftpos does not work with Au retailers so I didn't even bother to enquire.
By choosing to pay by credit card you have paid Bluesfest the 2 % which their bank would have taken from the $355 they collected.
And lest I forget,the $355 for the tickets is $322.73 which Bluesfest keeps plus gst of $32.27 which they collect and pass onto the government.
$322.73 is such an embarrassingly low price to see what is on offer,I'm ashamed to even raise the subject.
A client of mine is paying $480 per week for a house in Cairns for himself and his girlfriend.
A girl I met on the plane was living with two other girls in a house in Melbourne which was $900 per week all up.
What does $7.20 buy in Sydney ?
I suggest you study the Doctrine of Materiality.

mpember
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:42:51 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
If I buy after the festival I expected to pay $355 AU for a hard copy ticket plus $5 for the collection from the Bluesfest office = $360 AU

But you don't have to pay for the hard ticket. You can opt for the e-Ticket and avoid the $5 fee.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Of course I need to add the cost of transportation to get to that office plus the opportunity cost of using my time which I could be spending doing something else.

Unless it has changed, I remember being able to collect those tickets at the festival ticket office. The costs associated are no more than attending the festival.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
And lest I forget,the $355 for the tickets is $322.73 which Bluesfest keeps plus gst of $32.27 which they collect and pass onto the government.

The GST collected is largely offset by GST included on other costs incurred by the festival. This means that the actual GST bill paid by BF would not be anywhere near 10% of retail sales.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
What does $7.20 buy in Sydney?

You appear not to live in Australia, so you may be unaware that $7 is now the magic figure which is making some people reconsider seeing their doctor.

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I suggest you study the Doctrine of Materiality.

Just because you are willing to pay a bit extra does not mean it is the position held by all others. BF make a big noise every year about how they reward loyal fans and offer fantastic deals to anyone who buys in advance. Even now that they are talking about imposing a 1.5% fee, it is still smaller than the fee charged to those buying during the festival.

Australian law now makes it illegal for the charging of fees which do not reflect the true cost of providing the service. It is also illegal to advertise a price which does not include an unavoidable fee. This is the most likely reason for BF not previously charging a distinct credit charge fee. It is only with the proposed introduction of payment via bank transfer that it will be possible to pay via a method that does not involve the use of a credit card.

I have avoided getting involved in these threads where possible. But with the negativity being directed at a well-intention post, I can only apologise for breaking my silence and bringing reasoned argument to this discussion before it turns into another religious discussion that questions the validity of anyone who dare question the gospel of BF.

And before anyone personally attacks me, I should point out that I have already purchased my tickets and airfare for BF 26. Luckily, I purchased after the event and have paid only face value for my tickets.
normastijk
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:43:29 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
One question you can answer for me is whether Bluesfest accept Etfpos cards for ticket purchases at the festival.

Yes they do, and that was my method.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:15:45 PM

normastijk wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:

Yes they do, and that was my method.

Thank you very much for the clarification.
You display great wisdom in overcoming the obstacles some see as to not having a large bundle of cash in pocket.
You display great wisdom in not lining the already very full coffers of the Au banks by not falling into their trap of using a credit card for which they will charge for the privilege of doing so.
I pray that others will learn from your wisdom,of using a method of payment by which neither consumer nor retailer are stung.

phobkirk
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:17:43 PM

...and the $10 ticket price drop of the kids tickets?
mpember
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:27:02 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
using a method of payment by which neither consumer nor retailer are stung.

If you have had any recent dealings with this kind of payment facility, you would be aware that it often involves merchant bank fees. This is without considering the fact that many of the portable eftpos devices make a mobile call or incur mobile data costs as part of communicating with the service provider. This service provider is also not likely to be offering their services free of charge.

One good example of the impact of these costs is charities that request that people who are considering making regular donations do so in larger denominations at longer intervals to keep overheads to a minimum.

One question you can answer for me is if the company being queried was not BF, would you be as defensive or as quick to question the actions of other patrons?
bucetti1
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:59:52 AM

If Bluesfest is your thing every year (which it is mine)
You have a year to get organised.
Save accordingly and use eftos or cash.
Without sounding preachy -it is really very simple.

When they go low-we go high.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:06:23 AM

I have just phoned ANZ Bank Merchant services.
I asked them what they would charge me as a retailer and client of ANZ,if I accepted credit cards as payment for goods sold to the public.
They informed me that they process only Visa and MasterCard.
Their charges range from 2.07 % to 5.37% & depending on the number of credit card transactions and the total dollar values.
I asked them what they would charge me if my clients paid by Eftpos.
Their reply was zero.
Well I said,my viewpoint is that if clients are too lazy to use their efptpos card,I will charge them the same fee that ANZ is going to charge me,in addition to the cost of their transaction.
As a retailer,why should I give part of my profits to the banks.
In addition,the banks charge unsecured lending rates to any outstanding credit card amounts that are not paid by the due date.

mpember
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:17:47 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
I have just phoned ANZ Bank Merchant services.

Do they also offer free terminals?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:02:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI7SS6Kztu4

Stop being negative and show some respect.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:04:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hqHV1oaBgE

Stop being negative and show some respect.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:05:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtxy_3CH3QQ

Think positive and show some respect