Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

designated tents Options
cascade25au
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:44:08 AM
Groups: Member

First time to Bluesfest - great event for the 5 days. Very well organized. There were nice surprises with new (for me) artists and some surprises with old artists such as KC putting on a show.

I was expecting more blues and roots music. I understand the need for broader appeal but it is difficult to sift through the artists looking for certain styles of music. I know that it's dangerous to categorise but it would help if some venues could be designated for certain styles to give a clue if you are looking for new artists because it is difficult to see everyone. Perhaps it is possible to have a couple of smaller tents for blues singers that don't have a big sound.

Thank you for a fantastic event.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:10:15 AM

Five questions for you.
The first is what is your understanding of the definition of Blues and Roots music.
The second is what acts did you see that in your opinion were not Blues & Roots music.
The third is before you went, did you look at Youtube to see what musical package the various artists would put before you.
The fourth is what acts did you see which you believe should be in a couple of smaller tents for blues singers that don't have a big sound.
The fifth is where do you think Bluesfest should locate those couple of tents.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:09:40 AM

cascade25au, firstly welcome to the forum

Secondly, don't worry about the Ranger ( real name Patrick) he has a style all his own.

Scheduling the artists is an arcane art, A )Crossroads/ Jambalaya are the main Blues tents, but factors need to be considered, B )like drawing power, occasionally an act will demand the largest tent Mojo,C ) crossover appeal,D ) familiarity- there is an artist who attends every year, unfortunately this makes his presentation more expendable should the opposition be a rarity. E ) Availability.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
barryjmoore
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:55:43 PM

Cascade, you have posted a really good topic for discussion. I've been going to Bluesfest for years and in the early days it was just a matter of trial and error as to who I might end up seeing. Nowadays I buy my 5 day ticket for the next year at the festival and then don't pay much attention to who's playing until the final artist announcement. Then I work out whom I'm going to see when the final playing schedule is released. You can then often find a sequence of blues and roots acts in the same or nearby tents and plan to see them in a particular order. For example on Thursday I saw Steve Earle and the Dukes at Jambalaya at 5.30 and then went to Crossroads for the rest of the night where the next 3 acts were Charlie Musslewhite, Dr John and Buddy Guy. Couldn't get much more blues and roots than that lineup.

On Friday at Jambalaya after Rockwiz the playing order was Steve Earle and the Dukes again, Eric Bibb, Aaron Neville, Gregg Allman and Seun Kuti and Egypt 80. With the obvious exception of Seun Kuti and Egypt 80, this was full on blues and roots incorporating styles such as alt country, country blues, gospel and southern soul. And of course Egypt 80's Afrobeat blends elements of soul, funk and rock with traditional African rhythms and chants which is where blues and gospel came from in the first place so it was really blues and roots all night.

The playing order wasn't as straightforward over the next 3 days and I had to move around the different stages a lot more but I still managed to see mostly blues and roots acts. I'd be happy to pass on a few more ideas as they come to mind. Best wishes for many more Bluesfests.