Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Franti and Spearhead. Options
Bradders
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:11:30 PM
Groups: Member

He's still a great performer, but it feels like he sold his soul for the almighty dollar, such a PG-13 show.

What has happened to the political voice and outspokeness that he once had, now it's all happy-clappy music for the masses. fair enough he's gotta make some money but.
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:53:30 PM

I know what youre saying but I disagree. He's basically found his mojo. Standing and shouting about George Bush and the CIA has a limited audience (I love that kind of stuff). But instead he's choosing to spread positivity. That can only be a good thing right?
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:41:51 PM

That's right...Bob Marley didn't just sing about social injustice, he also sang about love and happiness too!

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
Bradders
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:50:04 PM

Maccain09 wrote:
I know what youre saying but I disagree. He's basically found his mojo. Standing and shouting about George Bush and the CIA has a limited audience (I love that kind of stuff). But instead he's choosing to spread positivity. That can only be a good thing right?

Space5279 wrote:
That's right...Bob Marley didn't just sing about social injustice, he also sang about love and happiness too!

I think he had found the balance around the 'Yell Fire' album it had still had some of the political stuff that got him to where he is but still had some of the happy and positive stuff coming from it. I don't have an issue with the Happy songs but it seems like he has abandoned his roots completely..

Ah well each unto their own I guess..
dissent
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:34:23 PM

I agree... it all seems a bit contrived... but if it makes people happy to watch him, who am I to argue
Rachel76
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:05:20 PM

I've been a massive Franti fan for years - he was the reason I first went to Bluesfest in 2004 - but I found his Sunday set lacking "something". However found Nahko & Medicine for the People more than filled the void!
BigKahuna
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:29:06 AM

i said to the wife, franti has a very average voice live, his stage presence is what sells him imo

Bradders
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:00:11 PM

BigKahuna wrote:
i said to the wife, franti has a very average voice live, his stage presence is what sells him imo

I think he's progressively losing it more and more... compared to his 2011 bluesfest gigs
Maccain09
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:13:27 PM

Not sure anyone is there to listen to him hit the high notes really? I remember a few years back hearing "oh no franti the save the trees guy", the next year was "that preachy anti America guy", every year there's more cynicism, there was even an idiot whinging about the smell of smoke in the tent, luckily he was moved on by some Irish guys that wanted to enjoy the show... He was the only person I noticed leaving. I had to leave passenger to throw up after his murdering of the sound of silence... Each to their own I suppose. I'm sure everyone else somehow enjoyed it.
Midnight_Rambler
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 9:27:53 AM

Is he the Peter Garrett of Bluesfest?