Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Clash of sounds between Mojo and Crossroads Options
leftydog1
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:43:02 AM
Groups: Member

Not sure what Peter Noble can do about it but I found it a bit off putting on more than one occasion sitting in crossroads during a quieter song having the boom boom from Mojo drowning out the crossroads artist.
malans1
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:19:42 AM

Agreed. While having the stages pretty close together obviously helps people get around quicker - there were a couple of acts that really got drowned out - poor Passenger at points. Due to a big boot on a busted foot, we were limited to the outskirts of the tents and really lost the sound quality with the back beats from the other tents - Crossroads suffering from both Jambalaya and Mojo.
But honestly - it was such a fantastic 5 days - and the positives FAR outweighed the negatives overall!
dtucker
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:52:07 AM

I thought the sound bleed problem was much less this year than any other I can remember although certainly if you are trying to listen from outside the tent it still crops up. However the problem of being near the stage in one tent and still hearing music from another didn't happen this year for me like it has in the past so I do think things are getting better. It is a huge and perhaps insurmountable problem when six stages are working at the same time.

I would like to see more staggering between starting times at the stages. There were times when the only music on was the buskers. Staggering would allow people to pop into other tents in between acts on the neighbouring stages and also reduce the amount of time when music is playing simultaneously in neighbouring venues and so give a short window of reduced sound bleed.
phobkirk
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 3:15:20 PM

Agreed sound bleed was much improved this year, I think the side seating area helped. Plus it was a great place to rest the back and chills.
barryjmoore
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:34:42 PM

Agree that the sound bleed from Mojo was much reduced this year. Was only really a problem when the sound of the act at Crossroads was much quieter than the band at Mojo. The classic example was the Cambodian Space Project at Crossroads where the singer's beautiful but very quiet voice was drowned out by the sound from Mojo. It was only after the band at Mojo finished that you could fully appreciate the beauty of her voice during the last 15 minutes of her performance. However this was really an issue of scheduling because an act with such a small sound should not have been put on at the second biggest tent. Juke Joint or Cavanbah would have been more suitable for the Cambodian Space Project.