Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jake Bugged me Options
picks44
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:07:32 AM

Groups: Member

Jake Bugg is either very shy or a pretentious little shit. He sang well, played well but his interaction with the audience was zero! They were on his side from the outset but he gave them nothing. After seeing legends and new acts connect with their audiences over the five days his lack of connection was stark. I know some will come back and say the music speaks for itself and that's true but I could have sat at home and listened to his CDs. I hope he got around to see other artists while he was here!,

Every day above ground is a good day!
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:14:32 AM

anyone keep track of how many guitars he played?i think i got to7.
some artists do need to interact with their audience. foy vance was great for that.
jeff beck has always been critised for that.i can take it from a master like him,but from a younger artist,i think they do have to do something about rapport.

i could not understand any lyrics from jake bugg. except my my hey hey.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
dtucker
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:00:24 AM

Bear in mind the set he played at the Enmore had 20 songs in it. I'm not sure how many he played last night but reckon he must have got close to that in a 75 minute slot. I've heard live recordings from him with a lot of chat in between songs, including asking for requests, so I don't think it was due to arrogance on his part on this occasion.

Any chat in between songs is one less song that you get to hear and how many times do you need to hear how Byron is a beautiful place and it's a pleasure to be playing there. He did do a lot of guitar changes but there was no stuffing around with tuning each time like a lot of guitarists do. I enjoyed the non-stop music.
littlewillie
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:37:52 PM

Got the same feeling from Gary Clark Jr on friday in Mojo. Might have been a couple of thank you's in between songs and that was it. Seemed a bit detatched to me. Takiing care of business it seems.
anitra64
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:52:13 PM

I also found his lack of interaction, but also his very flat delivery, with no facial expression, quite detracting after a while. Given that he actually looks about 12 years old, I described him as a precociously talented kid at a school concert, who is too nervous to talk to the grown-ups. Coming straight after Foy Vance, who is so personable but without going on too much, and is so emotive in his delivery, I found Jake Bugg underwhelming by comparison. I saw both of Foy Vance's sets from the middle of the front row. How is this guy not yet huge??? I have been playing his CD The Joy Of Nothing all day today. Thanks for giving us Foy Vance Peter.
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:25:45 PM

I quite like the cocky rock star "like it or lump it" attitude, it's very Beatles and Oasis like.
and nobody does that attitude better than the Brits, so I thought Jake's set was great.
I have also watched him in interviews, so I kind of knew he would be like that.

(((I've seen it all, I've seen it all, nothing shocks me anymore)))

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
sunnys
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 7:46:56 PM

Agree cutercomputer he is only 20 I really enjoyed just seeing someone that young singing his own material and what a great voice.Was surprised at his guitar ability when he went electric as well .... and the Neil Young cover was excellent . jake's the real deal he will be around for a long time me thinks
midfielder
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 6:27:26 PM

Loved Jake he was in my top 10...
phobkirk
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 7:58:09 AM

Jake was one of the discoveries and high points of the festival for us.... destined for great things that young fella!
hardtack
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:10:28 AM

Seems I am going against the general consensus, and maybe my opinion was tainted because I was pissed off with all of these young half drunken women swooning over him and falling all over me (not in an affectionate way), but I just don't get that Dylan thing at all and I found it onerous having to stand through his performance just so that I could be as close to the front as possible for Costello (a camera bearing fan's lot I suppose). I found the tone of his voice to be grating, but not in that endearing Dylanesque way, and I found his first batch of songs on the acoustic to be bordering on mundane pop (about as Dylanesque as the Gallagher brothers). To me he came across as someone who is yet to really work out where he is heading with his music (pop or serious). I'm sure he will get much better as he grows and matures musically, and I really did want to like him... but I'm sorry to say, not this time.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:38:36 AM

dittoAnxious

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:41:11 PM

waffles wrote:
dittoAnxious
got to agree i had high expectations after all the hype and went in eager to be pleased by the next generation. There were young guys here like kim churchhill who are much better singers and musicians. The kid has some talent and hopefully will mature into being a good performer. But please the dylanesque references are laughable. I put him in the same category as Lorde who is largely a product of the internet. The young kid from canada about the same age blew bugg off the stage for mine. Sorry i can't remember names as i am on strong painkillers post knee operation.
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:46:19 PM

Daniel Champagne was the young aussie i enjoyed more and Shaun Kirk was the gun from overseas that was vastly more talented than bugg. He did not live up to his hype and nasal intonation became wearisome.
hardtack
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:52:45 PM

Was that Matthew Curry spanner? He wasn't too shabby at all.
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 7:36:36 PM

[quote=hardtack]Was that Matthew Curry spanner? He wasn't too shabby at all
you're dead right hardtack sort of whacked on the post op drugs-yeah matthew curry was a revelation for me and left the buggster in the shade
normastijk
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 9:42:33 PM

I was only watching him so I could retain a decent possie for Elvis, but after the first few songs I actually thought he wasn't too bad at all. Certainly no showman, but I couldn't care less about that to be honest.
glenboss
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 9:57:26 PM

spanner1 wrote:
waffles wrote:
dittoAnxious
got to agree i had high expectations after all the hype and went in eager to be pleased by the next generation. There were young guys here like kim churchhill who are much better singers and musicians. The kid has some talent and hopefully will mature into being a good performer. But please the dylanesque references are laughable. I put him in the same category as Lorde who is largely a product of the internet. The young kid from canada about the same age blew bugg off the stage for mine. Sorry i can't remember names as i am on strong painkillers post knee operation.

Hope your operation went well and all the best for a speedy recovery. You seemed fairly fit & healthy when I saw you at Bluesfest so you should recover quickly. All the best. Glenboss
spanner1
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 12:14:10 AM

glenboss wrote:
spanner1 wrote:
waffles wrote:
dittoAnxious

Hope your operation went well and all the best for a speedy recovery. You seemed fairly fit & healthy when I saw you at Bluesfest so you should recover quickly. All the best. Glenboss
cheers glen boss in my first week post surgery for knee replacement and it is no picnic in the pain department. thanks for your best wishes and ditto to you and your great sons. have already booked bonamassa in sydney and narooma in expectation of a complete recovery.
bucetti1
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 1:52:06 PM

The news that you are withdrawing from Bluesfest is sad indeed Mr Spanner.
I wish you well.

When they go low-we go high.
spanner1
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 2:13:19 PM

bucetti1 wrote:
The news that you are withdrawing from Bluesfest is sad indeed Mr Spanner.
I wish you well.

thank you for your kind thoughts bucetti. I am in no way resiling from blues and roots music festivals but after nearly 20 years of attending this fest am thinking it time to move on to smaller fests that give much better proximity to the artists. At the blue mtns fest every night i regularly jammed and had drinks with eri bibb,jake shimbukuru, jeff lang, luka bloom et al-you don't get this proximity to artists at bf because of the scale. you never say never though and it is likely peter will pull a rabbit out of his hat to hook me in for a couple of days next year. Because of repeating artists and lack of interest in others i struggled to fill my dance card on sunday/monday this year. Anyway i am sure this fest will be going long after any of us stop attending and i wish you and all punters and the bf team only best wishes for next year and beyond