Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

KC and the Sunshine Band Options
anitra64
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:19:46 AM
Groups: Member

Well, having secured a front row spot for all day in Crossroads, mainly to see Foy Vance, Jake Bugg and the genius who is Elvis Costello, it meant signing on for everyone else on the bill. The only act I was really ambivalent about was KC and The Sunshine Band. I thought they would be at least competent, if not my normal taste. I was hearing a bit of buzz about them though, so thought maybe I was in for something special. I really did not expect what I got though.

Unfortunately live music is a visual as well as auditory experience. If I'd just kept my eyes closed it would have been the sound track of all my school socials in junior high school. 75 minutes is a long time to keep your eyes closed though, and what I didn't expect was the sight of Cameron from Modern Family (+20 years) taking the piss out of disco. Oh no, it wasn't actually Eric Stonestreet doing a comedy routine, it was in fact Harry Casey (KC) and an assembly (none of them original) of musicians and dancers, imploring me to "shake my "booty", led by a guy who's ability to shake his own booty was hampered by at least one slipped disc.

With the assistance of 4 dancers (the 2 non-singing dancers looked like they had been sacked from a P&O entertainment team for being too raunchy), KC put on one of the most cringeworthy performances I've ever seen. I'm actually genuinely confused, because I think there is a possibility that he is now doing this show as a satire and if that's the case it would make more sense. If this isn't deliberate satire though, it belongs in Twin Towns not Bluesfest.

I recognise that I don't speak for the masses because I think there was a lot of people in the tent who seemed to be having a good time, and maybe the front row was too close for comfort with this particular act. I guess it was entertaining. When KC reappeared in his costume change to the clown pants and red sparkly shirt I nearly wet myself laughing. Not sure that was the effect he was going for though.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:44:32 AM

I agree 100% with your comments.
An RSA Gig.
I stayed for 45 minutes and then left for my first ever viewing of Ozomatli.
Covering You Sexy Thing marked the end for me.
Embarrasing song.
As I left they were covering Brick House which is a good song.
This performance accentuated how privileged we were to have Earth Wind & Fire give an absolutely magnificent display.
And when I saw EWF I knew no more about them than KC & Co...Just a few radio hits.
KC from my seat looked as overweight as myself and his vocals were embarrasing.
Compare that with the supremely fit trio out front for EWF.
And as for the dancing...................
But there was no doubt that the masses just lapped it up.
All they desired was an RSA type gig to present the songs to sing along to.
And it is the masses whom we have to get in the Bluesfest gates in order that I may indulge in eccentric luxuries as the Magic Band.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:35:53 AM

While I was watching him I imagined myself trying to pull that off.
Bravo for having the guts to do that, I thought the band was excellent.

I would like to see them again, I think he should get behind the keys
and have someone else share vocals and dance, and also loose the head mike.
And I think he should smile a bit more, he used to smile a lot in his early career.

The songs he produced are a magnificent achievement,
my personal favourite disco songs by a country mile.
Overall I loved the show, I looked past the foibles....

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
phobkirk
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:54:14 AM

Sorry I have to agree with first poster. With 100 million albums sold I was ready to give them a go, it wasn't the material - the execution was frankly appalling. We left after 3 songs, cringing and embaressed for the band. Give it up KC you are damaging your legacy. Don't sweat it Peter, this was the only real dud we have seen in four years (for us).... And that's a lot of acts, and that is something to be realy proud of.
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:31:34 AM

took me to rooty hill r.s.l. or maybe wagga r.s.l.
i thought kfc vocals were shot and why dance when you cant.
any band that needs half naked dancers to make a show has lost it in my view.

but i did watch some interesting dance styles in the crowd.

i kept thinking of meatloaf at the m.c.g.grand final.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
leftydog1
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:35:29 AM

C,mon I think your a bit rough on KC, it was just great entertainment with some old classics we grew up with. Good on Harry for not only bringing back his hits but giving us a laugh as well.
beakyfish
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:02:04 PM

Sorry but all I saw was the whole of crossroads dancing and singing for 75 mins
That's what it's all about
I'm glad you all left, more room to dance
Great show KC come back next year to cross roads Rsl
picks44
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:02:11 PM

I admit I was a cynic and was caught in the KC mosh pit! I got an elbow in the ribs every time I burst out laughing at his dancing. (There's certainly hope for me yet) But I was surrounded by people having a great time and singing up a storm, including me eventually. Everyone left with a buzz which in the end can't be all bad! Loosen up!

Every day above ground is a good day!
anitra64
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:29:00 PM

I've certainly had my fun in the last 24 hours reliving the experience and trawling my recollection of the car crash like awfulness of watching that act, so if it's all about entertainment then I guess I've got my money's worth. Picking through the memory perhaps my favorite bit was when one of the backing dancers bent over and thrust her privates up at the guitarist who wiggled his hand in her crotch , bought his fingers up to his nose, licked his lips and then grinned at the audience. That was definitely the Eewwww moment of the set for me. But the bit when KC channelled Rod Stewart and sang "if you want my body and you think I'm sexy", while all 4 dancers rubbed up on him caused me to, as Kate Miller-Heidke would so elegantly have put it, "nearly lose my shit". But really, I must stop with my reminiscences because I'll be making everyone who missed this comedic masterpiece jealous.
soul4you
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:45:24 PM

that set was GREAT!!
arrangements
musos
some glam
dancers ERG
KC, after an initial "oh dear" when he first started dancing, he totally won me over with his determination to get the party started. it was infectious and the whole afternoon rose with him. by the end i felt as happy and glittery as his stage clothes. in the middle of the afternoon! AWESOME. should've been on at night i reckon.
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 4:40:08 PM

I agree with the positive comments. Whilst KC looked like a bit of a burk doing those pirouettes, you cannot deny the quality of the songs and the groove that they laid down. Perfect timeslot too!!

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
draught
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:18:51 PM

We stayed for the whole set and enjoyed the musical memories but the scantily clad dancers, the eewwwww moments with one bending over in front of the guitarist, and faux-fawning over KC in his party pants and sparkly tent t-shirt was more than cringe-making. My group summarised it as entertainment of the hilarious kind - we didn't take any of it too seriously and enjoyed the vibe of the tent - but it doesn't rank as one of the musical highlights!
barryjmoore
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 8:43:31 AM

I've really enjoyed reading all the comments. It was far bigger than just KC and the Sunshine Band. For me that whole afternoon was one of those "It could only happen at Bluesfest" moments, one that is absolutely impossible to even attempt to describe, let alone explain, to anyone who wasn't there.

I arrived at Crossroads just before 2pm because I wanted to see WAR. I got a seat with a good view of the stage and the outside screen. The guitarist from WAR came on stage first and played what sounded like Flamenco music before the rest of the band joined him. First time I've heard Flamenco at Bluesfest. I knew only 2 of the songs that WAR played: "Spill the Wine, Dig that Girl" and "Cisco Kid was a Friend of Mine" but that didn't matter because everything they played was so cool and laid back. It was positively surreal sitting there on a warm and sunny Byron Bay afternoon listening to psychedelic rock from the 60's and 70's. Before I knew it they were finished and then I entered another time warp to find myself in the land of Disco. KC was highly entertaining and very funny. Don't know whether it was part of the act or not but from the first steps he took, he was completely out of synch with the dancers and he never caught up. I would have paid anything to see KC attempt one of those high kicks but sadly that was not to be. An absolutely unforgettable afternoon of psychedelic rock and Disco. Only at Bluesfest!!!!

Bluesfest, please get both bands back next year and have them do a show together called "KC and the Sunshine Band Declare WAR on Psychedelic Rock and Disco". I can't wait to hear such classics as "Spill the Wine" sung to the music of "Shake Your Booty" and "That's The Way I like It" set to the music of "Cisco Kid Was a Friend of Mine". Would have the crowd doing a whole lot more than shaking their booty and spilling their wine!
sunnys
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 11:43:41 AM

All I saw at KC was thousands of people having a joyous time and reacting to the music in whichever way they could and that included KC . Loved every minute of it. Lighten up all you haters.
BigKahuna
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 11:50:28 AM

sunnys wrote:
All I saw at KC was thousands of people having a joyous time and reacting to the music in whichever way they could and that included KC . Loved every minute of it. Lighten up all you haters.

this is all that matters

Applause Applause Applause

rstroud
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 2:57:16 PM

BigKahuna wrote:
sunnys wrote:

this is all that matters

Applause Applause Applause

I couldn't agree more. I had so much fun haters, do you want me to apologise - no way :d/

Rod S
swoody72
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:05:52 PM

I would take the unselfconscious, tacky fun of KC over the self-righteous, messiah complex of Franti any day!
BigKahuna
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:21:15 PM

or the up herself erykah

InfidelRider
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:40:18 PM

BigKahuna wrote:
or the up herself erykah

I was spared from that. Thank you Chain!
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2016 9:52:17 AM

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11585090
RIP one of the greatest bands ever to appear at Bluesfest.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8