Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

CD TENT IS GONE Options
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:16:32 AM
Groups: Member

For the first time in my attendances,there is no tent.
So on Thursday a security guard who sounded Eastern European, spent at least 10 minutes using the scarce resources of an understaffed tent,by presenting a copy of K C & The Sunshine Band Greatest Hits,which he picked off the display rack.
Both he and I assumed it would be empty.
The assistant went out the back and could not find a CD.
She told him to come back later in the day.
He told her he was working.
Then he looked in the cover and the CD was inside.
The signing area was midget.
Charlie Musselwhite was meant to start at 8.15pm.
He started a good 15 minutes late and there was a very long queue.
Suzanne Vega was meant to start at 8.45pm but there were only 3 seats for the artists to sit at,so in due course they had to usher Charlie & his two guitarists out,and slot Suzanne in.
There were Charlie supporters who missed out.
As I was there for 45 minutes standing beside the CD display case,people were coming up asking where Charlie & Suzanne CDs were,and what there was available to get signed.
Of course people who pick up the one CD cover in the display unit to take to the counter which would mean nothing left in the display rack.
And there was no Suzanne CD cover there.
There were a couple of schoolkids serving.
I told the older one to put the CD cases in the display case.
He said "People will ask."
He kept on referring to a booklet whenever people asked what there was.
In due course he put the latest CD cover on the rack,but not the greatest hits.
I know that Cd shops are going out of business at an alarming rate,but surely they could have had one full time person in a tent that only sells CDs.
Obviously there is not enough money in it for Bluesfest balancing staffing versus sales versus unsold stock.
I would be interested to hear the official version.
Some of us are prepared to spent reasonable dollars on recorded music.
Luckily we went to Ballina for a first time visit on Wednesday and I had spent $350 at the CD shop there.
And stuff like Gary Clark Jnr & Erykah Badu was half the price of Bluesfest.
They had a lot of stuff there for $10.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
eileenk9
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:53:28 AM

I guess they needed the extra room for that Sunset Club building which looked like a waste of space
aghilton
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:13:15 PM

Maybe making money should be balanced with providing service for loyal Bluesfest patrons - being back the CD tent!!
regards
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:47:59 PM

The space aspect is irrelevant.

I believe that the was a problem with the previous retailer.

The CD store has operated better after the first days, teething problems. And they know that they need more display space etc.

The friendly lady, I spoke to apologised and said that this is a learning curve for them, and that they wish to improve a bit next year.

They are most likely sourcing most product direct from the record companies, who would not

be doing any great deals for them, like they do with for term clients. The mark up is probably double of wholesale to retail,

which is standard industry practice. The grog mark up is certainly more than that. A case of beer would cost them probaly cost them about $46.

I think that the beers are $8 each, so that equals $192, I personally am more concerned with that pricing.

At least the acts make money from CD sales.
skot20_58
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 8:56:14 AM

$9 for a small cup of wine. To partially quote the leader bean "this is beverage aparteide" I'm not sure what meeting it was when they decided it's quite sane to charge $9 for a cup of wine that is probably $9 a bottle. Classic stuff :) I've had a ball this year don't get me wrong the music has been fantastic. But so far in 3 days I haven't spent a dime inside the festival "winning" it's far to expensive.
Don't get to carried away there bluesfest you cheeky mob! I'm not far away from being priced out. Don't you want my shiny hypnotic dollar signs???

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
croceau
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 11:27:51 AM

The lack of a CD tent is a huge disappointment. I count on being able to find CDs for the lesser known performers who you can't easily find, especially form overseas.

I am guessing there was a fallout with the previous provider who I think is The Music Shop, an online company. Stock that didn't sell would just go back into their inventory. I know I spend a couple of hundred $$ on CDs and DVDs as do the friends I come with, accounting for probably around $1K all up--and that's just one group of people! So I find it hard to believe that a distributor can't turn a profit unless the cost to hold a stall is exorbitant or Bluesfest's commission on sales makes it unprofitable.

Whatever the case, sort it our before next year! The current situation with a rack at the end of the Merch tent is a joke.
jimmywickedwaves
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:14:40 PM

Hi guys,

My name is Jimmy and I have worked in the old CD tent for the previous 5 years. I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions. We had booked our accommodation and applied for leave from our other jobs for this year before being informed that Bluesfest were going in another direction and did not want to have a CD tent this year. And that is ok. There were no disputes from our end at all, and we were truly bummed to not be working the festival for the 8th year running. But things change, and that is life.

It is really nice to read the positive feedback on the tent in past years. The majority of us traveled up from Canberra every year bringing all the stock and Merch. We operated as The Music Shop which was a family owned independent record store with stores in Canberra, Sydney, Albury and throughout Queensland.

We really prided ourselves on having music of every single performing artist readily available as soon as they walked off stage. Having a cd for its music, as a momento or as something to have signed we felt was a pretty cool bonus with your festival experience.

Thanks again for the positive feedback about the tent we ran. It was an amazing 7 years and we were very lucky to experience it.

Jimmy

mybrowndog
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:53:32 AM

I am not impressed there was no CD tent this year.
I purchase around the $500 mark each year.
Was unable to get close to the rack as only two clients could see at a time.
Not all CDs were on rack
Absolutely enjoyed being able to go from gig to CD tent in past festivals to purchase and get them signed.
Use the large two storied empty tent for CD showroom.
I purchase most of my CDs on this trip each year - but unfortunately this year.
tonyivits
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:33:13 PM

A newbie to this forum but have attended the last four BFs and enjoyed them all .This years line up was of a high standard and probably more blues oriented than previous ones I have attended.

However the loss of the CD tent was a major disappointment to me and the two other people who I was with and who also have been at the last four BFs.Previously we all enjoyed browsing in the CD tent ,often finding the recordings of obscure and lesser known artists as well as the headliners.

I am not sure whether there was a problem with the previous supplier but certainly more room needs to be set aside for the CD area.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:11:03 PM

Many thanks for your post Jimmy.
In particular you have clarified that as an outside entity,you sourced the stock and thus took the hit or the profits on what sold and what did not sell.
Before your presence,I was under the impression that AllmusicAndVision ran the shop,due to conversations I had with them at their then Lismore Shop.
Therefore you would have paid Bluesfest a site rent for which to operate the shop.
That being the case,I struggle to see what risk Bluesfest had to continue to let an outsider operate the same.
After the Jason Isbell set,I made my way to the CD stand in order to see what was on sale.
A couple of other guys were there looking for something by Foy Vance.
There were no Isbell CDS on the stand.
We looked at the number of people lined up to buy teeshirts and all decided to flag the idea of trying to find out whether and what was available.
I had already missed 15 minutes of DMB.
A lady about my age came up to the stand which made four of us.
Of course you can only fit three so the three of us guys decided we may as well all leave.
She said to me "so you will sort this CD tent out for next year will you."
Well,I said,all I can do is post comments on the issue.
At an earlier visit to get the Magic Band CD,the assistant could not find it,so had to wait until someone else had finished serving to ask them.
And all the time there was a pile of at least 20 there.
But if you have not got a clue who the band are,how are you going to find it.
Well one way is by having the CDs laid out in artist alphabetical order.
Another way is to lay them out in the fashion we all are used to,which is by the tent for the day.
Another way is to have an experienced music follower in charge,who actually knows who all the artists are,and before Bluesfest starts,goes through and does a visual check on what is there.
In summary,an unfortunate backward step by Admin.
Coupled with the midget signing facility.
How was any band with more than three members meant to fit into it.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
sunnys
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 12:04:05 PM

Totally agree bring back cd tent . For the past 12 years I have loved spending time in there gathering my CDs for the year often ones that I used to have on vinyl . Was very disappointed not to see it there this year, fingers crossed it will return in 2015 as I will !
glenboss
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 7:55:55 PM

jimmywickedwaves wrote:
Hi guys,

My name is Jimmy and I have worked in the old CD tent for the previous 5 years. I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions. We had booked our accommodation and applied for leave from our other jobs for this year before being informed that Bluesfest were going in another direction and did not want to have a CD tent this year. And that is ok. There were no disputes from our end at all, and we were truly bummed to not be working the festival for the 8th year running. But things change, and that is life.

It is really nice to read the positive feedback on the tent in past years. The majority of us traveled up from Canberra every year bringing all the stock and Merch. We operated as The Music Shop which was a family owned independent record store with stores in Canberra, Sydney, Albury and throughout Queensland.

We really prided ourselves on having music of every single performing artist readily available as soon as they walked off stage. Having a cd for its music, as a momento or as something to have signed we felt was a pretty cool bonus with your festival experience.

Thanks again for the positive feedback about the tent we ran. It was an amazing 7 years and we were very lucky to experience it.

Jimmy

That's interesting. For some reason I always thought that "The Music Shop" business was owned by Peter Noble. Live and learn. I was disappointed and missed the tent this year. I usually spend anywhere from $200 - $500 and you're right in referring to them as momentos because I really enjoyed selecting the CDs after enjoying the shows. As you say. things change and that is life - but just remember that the good things in life always tend to bounce back. Hope you're back next year.
madameshawshank
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 9:43:12 PM

Couldn't believe the tent wasn't there! Always such a fun vibe to the place...browsing...gems discovered...dvds...

At one time I was there, this year ...along with a mini crowd looking for cds...mixed with a cd signing queue...chaos...saw many walk away...heads shaking...

Wonder what it will take for a Return of the CD Tent....begging please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC1987
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 11:41:30 PM

was very disappointing to not have the cd tent at the festival this year, there were a number of new artists i caught at the festival who i wanted to purchase cds from... however after waiting 20 mins in line without moving i said to my friend "f this i'll order the cds at the local shop in lismore" before walking away... bf you lost $300 in cd sales from myself from not having the cd tent... although i now have the money aside when the cds come in at music bizarre in lismore over the next month or so.
bring back the cd tent!!!
bucetti1
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 7:27:23 AM

I had the embarrassing situation occur when I went to the Black Sorrows signing just having purchased an old cd.
Joe-this one's old
Me-that's all they have on sale for you.
At which point joe(very annoyed) went to the counter to personally complain.
I hope this situation resolves itself for next year.

When they go low-we go high.
BigKahuna
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 11:52:47 AM

I caught their first show, it was good. but it needed vika and linda imo

steveakers
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:57:31 PM

I would spend around the $500 mark in the cd tent every year. The signing area used to be better organised with two clearly defined lanes and staggered signing times. They made a right mess of the signing tent this year.
BigKahuna
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 3:19:06 PM

Id have the merchandise tent and cd tent where the sunset club is now. Move the sunset club to where the merch is, thus giving it a view of mojo, delta and crossroads. (kind of)

have an airport style bollard maze set up for the singings so its not 1 straight line out of the tent and into the thoroughfare

BigKahuna
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 7:38:35 PM

waffles
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2014 7:55:05 PM

excellent shop.
good coffee too.

the owner and his wife were both at the festival.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.