Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Car park exit disaster Options
phobkirk
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:38:12 AM
Groups: Member

Two and a half hours, leaving north car park at 10.45!

My wife left with our younger sons early as they were crashing (exausted) at 10.45. We left after Jack Johnson finish around 12.00 and my wife was 3 cars ahead of us leaving (the cars were parked next to each other).

I walked around and asked traffic volunteers (lots of time to kill), they said it was just conjestion - no accident, no breakdown?

In general people where good humoured despite being stuck for hours, what can you except laugh. However some people were very hostile indeed. It was quite shocking.

It's probable that the design of the car parking is such that given the convention of even merging if you are unfortunate to be parked at the wrong end (close to gate on northern end) you don't get to leave until almost everyone else has.
eileenk9
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:42:45 AM

South Car Park was a breeze ... left at around 10.30 and had no problem getting out.
phobkirk
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:44:30 AM

eileenk9 wrote:
South Car Park was a breeze ... left at around 10.30 and had no problem getting out.

Traffic monitors take note

And thanks for the tip we will try south side tonight.
deanoc
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:04:06 AM

Boo hoo! yes unfortunately the bus lines were not much better. Probably the most disorganised ive seen and i havnt missed a single day at the new site. More security at the lines please. No more scrimping. Anyhow luved the doobs and beth hart ,shes in a league of her own.
eileenk9
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 10:09:53 AM

phobkirk wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

Traffic monitors take note

And thanks for the tip we will try south side tonight.

Hundreds of irate posts on the Bluesfest Facebook page today re the northern car park. Apparently they were letting the south car park people exit first. I thought the parking situtation was supposed to be resolved this year with a new exit. What happened? My own complaint was the huge walk from where we parked our car to the entry gates .. wasn't expecting that but anyway it was better than lining up for buses in the cold.
bambambam
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:45:20 AM

Parking, Buses and getting tired and having to leave early are the major reasons why we always camp onsite.
The toilets and showers have been great this year, plenty of them and no crowds if you shower before bed.
We have spent a considerable time just lounging around in the tent. Best festival camping experience ever,,,

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
NSSherlock
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2014 1:41:38 PM

This will get to the point where they'll charge for parking to discourage cars or to build a goat track to link to another road somewhere if there is one.
I can understand the agro but you just can't squeeze so many cars into one line.

After the Thursday night last year I parked away from the Festival and took the Bus. Friday night Bus lines weren't sorted but after that it was great. I got home and saw all the messages from ppl still in the car park.

This year I rode the Bike and it's the same thing. Gets a bit chilly on the way home but no biggy. A really easy out from the festival.

So, there's a choice factor involved when something is beyond your control and you really can't control so much traffic into one line.

Only thing I can think of is to allow access out through the north off ramp but then you'd need to head north (since Nth car Park is for Nth traffic) when the hwy will head south. Would have to loop back around and that would need to be much further south. I doubt the Cops would allow entry to hwy from the Nth off ramp.
waffles
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 8:44:23 AM

for the past 3 nights i have had no trouble getting out of the northern carpark.
you have everyone leaving at once ...you have a problem.
last night i left at 11.15 before the main acts finished...straight out.
its hard but its your choice.
i like my sleep to be in my bed,not in a carpark.Whistle

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
regards
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:04:25 AM

We left after Greg Allman to beat the bus ques and hassles caused by lack of qualified personal to keep the lines in order.

We were on the bus quickly but were then stuck for ages trying to get out. I find it quite amazing that the Bus does not have

its own designated uniterupted bus lane and exit point.

Because if you want to discourage cars, the bus system must work as smoothly as possible.

Surely this is no brainer?
eileenk9
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:07:57 AM

If you want all the drama and goss re parking and buses head to the Bluesfest Byron Bay Facebook page. Apparently they changed things around last night and the problem was in the south car park.
BigKahuna
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2014 11:30:19 AM

Kicking back in my motorhome feet up :) feel free to throw rocks at me lol

byroness1
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 11:12:31 AM

As Peter Noble said, with everyone leaving at the same time, its inevitable there will be some delays, apparently it can take 2 hours to get out of Brisbane Entertainment Centre. You either have to suck it up, be close to exits when you park, or leave early or later than everyone else.
Peter suggested getting a coffee after the last act, they don't kick you out.
NSSherlock
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2014 1:41:32 PM

I just chill for a while before I leave. I don't have to.
I pick up my helmet and jacket, grab a coffee or cold drink, have a sit for a while and stretch out my sore muscles and back, have a yak in the car park spend half an hour putting gloves on etc ...
Come to think of it I DO need to chill for a while - after a broken knee not good on my feet for too long and it hurts. After all that become a loose juice and all is good.
BigKahuna
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:38:56 AM

From campsite to freeway in under 5 minutes tonight.

mpember
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:58:10 AM

byroness1 wrote:
As Peter Noble said, with everyone leaving at the same time, its inevitable there will be some delays

Someone should have told the staff member who posts on Facebook not to brag about how good the traffic conditions are.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 5:47:41 AM

But you boycotted Bluesfest 2014 so what value is there in you commenting.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:39:49 AM

If you take young kids you need to be mindful of their normal bedtime.
If they get overtired it is a parental problem,not a Bluesfest problem.
Don't overdo it or get babysitters.
I recall at the age of 10 or 11 managing to persade my parents to buy tickets to a three band show which was scheduled for 6pm.
The 6pm show was then cancelled and the tickets transferred to 8pm or refunded.
My parents would not let me go at 8pm.
I was bitterly disapointed.
When we were teenagers if we arrived home after 11pm the doors to the house would be locked and that was it.
10.45 plus travel time is far too late for young children.
We were at the South end on Thurs and the North end the following nights and were perfectly happy with the exit times from the carpark, after always leaving the grounds at midnight or later.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
phobkirk
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:20:14 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
If they get overtired it is a parental problem,not a Bluesfest problem.
Don't overdo it or get babysitters.
I recall at the age of 10 or 11 managing to persade my parents to buy tickets to a three band show which was scheduled for 6pm.
The 6pm show was then cancelled and the tickets transferred to 8pm or refunded.
My parents would not let me go at 8pm.
I was bitterly disapointed.
When we were teenagers if we arrived home after 11pm the doors to the house would be locked and that was it.
10.45 plus travel time is far too late for young children.
We were at the South end on Thurs and the North end the following nights and were perfectly happy with the exit times from the carpark, after always leaving the grounds at midnight or later.

You are making assumptions about the age of our kids, fyi they are all teenagers. I'm not sure how to take the helpful parenting hints posted here... We like to think we are doing a good job bringing up our brood but everyone has an opinion.

I posted originally to highlight that the cars in north carpark that night literally did not move for over an hour. That's not inched forward slowly, that's didn't move at all. It was like something had blocked the exit that they all merged to. Now it's not conjestion when the whole of north car park doesn't move - I can only assume there was a breakdown or some other event.

In Sydney we have traffic conjestion, they have tow trucks on hot standby near the bridge in peak hour to clear problems ASAP. If it was a breakdown perhaps bluesfest should consider the same - I'm thinking it wouldn't be expensive.

The total lockup of the north car park didn't happen again to our knowledge thankfully.
mpember
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:15:02 AM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
But you boycotted Bluesfest 2014 so what value is there in you commenting.

I attended Deni and was amused when BF were posting announcements on FB at 11PM that there were no issues exiting the car park. Are BF recommending that drivers leave before the final acts finish?

TheLoneRanger wrote:

Have you got kids?
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:45:42 AM

re the facebook traffic update.

theres a difference between informing and bragging.
i found the info useful.

i left the north carpark last night no worries .got to near the wreckers and said goodnight to the traffic attendant...who remembered me ...by name..from 30 years ago...incredible.

made a great end to the festival.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.