Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Soul Rebels Options
repete
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:15:02 AM
Groups: Member

I've just got in from seeing their Melb show. An unusual setting (for them) at the Recital Centre, but they had a sold out house up out of their chairs and dancing all the way through. Some wonderful improvisations, hip hop and funk driven by 2 percussionists and the remarkable Edward Lee Jr on sousaphone (I swear you're gonna hear some of the funkiest bass lines you've ever heard from that mother of an instrument!). They are all incredibly skilled musicians. Since Katrina, the city's brass bands have come to define some of the new directions in New Orleans music and the Soul Rebels are one of the city's finest.

You've got 3 opportunities to see these guys at fest so there's no excuses!!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:05:55 AM

repete wrote:
I've just got in from seeing their Melb show. An unusual setting (for them) at the Recital Centre, but they had a sold out house up out of their chairs and dancing all the way through. Some wonderful improvisations, hip hop and funk driven by 2 percussionists and the remarkable Edward Lee Jr on sousaphone (I swear you're gonna hear some of the funkiest bass lines you've ever heard from that mother of an instrument!). They are all incredibly skilled musicians. Since Katrina, the city's brass bands have come to define some of the new directions in New Orleans music and the Soul Rebels are one of the city's finest.

You've got 3 opportunities to see these guys at fest so there's no excuses!!!

They're on my list of must sees. I was picking my daughter up from the airport (MEL) on Monday night and The Soul Rebels had just arrived on another flight. They were grabbing their luggage and as they walked past I said 'See You At Bluesfest'! One of the bigger guys gave me a high five. I had to show my daughter a few youtube clips when we got home.

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
regards
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:16:56 PM

Hi pete

Did you see Tanya and Ken there?
repete
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:09:02 AM

regards wrote:
Hi pete

Did you see Tanya and Ken there?

G'day mate...no, I didn't see them. We arrived in time for a rip off drink in the foyer before the show and left pretty quickly after shaking hands with a couple of band members (Christie couldn't resist showing off her NOLA tat which drew a few laughs from the guys). I'm off to see Jimmie Vaughan tomorrow, North Mississippi Allstars on Sunday and an incredible triple header on Monday (Buddy Guy, James Cotton and Charlie). BTW, a mate who saw Beth Hart who was performing at The Corner, also last night (clashes even down here....grrrrrr), said she was awesome (a word he hates using unless something/someone is actually awesome!).

Hangin' out on Frenchmen