Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

AUTOGRAPHS Options
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:13:09 PM
Groups: Member

It is quite a problem this year deciding what to bring over to get autographed.
All my Paladins CDs & DVDS
All my Beefheart vinyls & CDS
All my Suzanne Vega vinyls & CDS
Mothers albums that Don Preston played on.
And that is just the start.
Of course there is not much point bringing stuff if some artists are not going to be signing.
And you cannot assume that material by all artists will be available for purchase in the CD tent.
For example the year the Hacienda Brothers played.
Will any punters find that their favourite artists do not appear at the signing tents.
Who else is bringing stuff to be signed and by whom.
What weird things have artists been asked to sign.
For instance I have been informed that Duke Robillard was asked to sign a deck chair.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
job2000
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:56:05 PM

Is there a artist signing schedule?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:30:43 PM

Each day it is put up on a whiteboard,outside the CD tent.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
job2000
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:46:38 PM

Cool thanks, do they do the signing in the cd tent?
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 3:11:51 PM

The artists are seated at a trestle table just inside the left hand side of the tent and you line up.
The question is always how long the line is,and what risk you want to take in waiting versus missing part of the next act.
Given that there is 30 minutes between sets,by the time the artists make it to the CD tent it might be 20 minutes after finishing,so you need to make a judgement call as to whether your priority is autographs or the next set.

regards
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 3:17:30 PM

My information is that things may be slightly different this year, and that an independent retailer may not be running the CD tent and it will come under the

control of BluesFest, like the merchandise tent, and the management and operations of the 2 will be incorporated.

I have not heard what the possible new configuration will be. And how and where the signings will be done. But it will all be similiar to in the past I am led to believe.

You also have to bear in the mind, that the artists are doing these signings to promote sales of their new and recent releases, that are for sale in the tent. And in some instances are reluctant to sign a great deal of old stuff, quite justifiably in my opinion, as they are there to make a buck on Cd sales, as the traditional revenue stream from them has now mainly gone. Thanks to the people in recent times thinking it is OK to steal their music.
ScottM
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 4:44:34 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
Of course there is not much point bringing stuff if some artists are not going to be signing.

Always the trick. I'd take a punt and say one or both of the Magic Band and Grandmothers would be a very strong chance of signing.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:48:52 AM

Bill Kirchen willingly signed all of the CDS I put in front of him at Narooma.
But he did tell me off for spending too much time talking to him and suggested that I send him an email instead.
I expect that Drumbo & Rockette will be only too happy to sign off on albums they performed on.
As I expect the Paladins will be,though I could leave them to Narooma along with Roy Rogers,where there will be more personal space.
Rick Estrin was happy to sign the 8 or 10 CDs I put in front of him.
Clearly the headline artists are unlikely to sign at all....after all they could well be signing something that could be auctioned on a website for profit.
But that is not the type of artist I am interested in pursuing.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:21:48 AM

Sadly The Magic Band did not sign.
I asked the lady in charge of such things when their name did not appear on their 3rd day..
She said all artists were invited but only some responded.
I would have thought that they would wish to promote their CD,which I assume they bought with them.
But it was not to be.
Perhaps they were fearful of hordes of eccentric fans wanting whole vinyl collections signed,and asking all sorts of bizarre questions.

bucetti1
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:01:30 AM

Got Claude Hay's autograph as well as Joe Camilleri's.
Joe's a legend and ornament
Claude's going to be.
Also met Kate Miller-Heidke.She is not of this world.

When they go low-we go high.