Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Spreadsheet of preferred artists / stages Options
kleinigclan
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 10:51:41 AM
Groups: Member

Hi, Any hints for planning which stage / music to be at. (Obviously this is a personal preference) Looking for suggestions on how to make a itinerary or spreadsheet.
Thanks
zyfert
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 1:47:26 PM

Generally don't need to do that.
As soon as the last announcement is made, there will be a more detailed playing schedule published with start/finish times and stages.
Also last year there was an iPhone app.
Should be able to get by with those.
You also get a hardcopy of the schedule on entry to the festival.
reddragon
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 6:18:59 PM

Hanging out for the timetable to appear.
BC1987
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:16:10 PM

every year i spend an average of 3 - 4 weeks & make 8 - 10 drafts while trying to get around clashes & work the best possible schedule to see as much as possible for what the five days of bluesfest have to offer...

my average bluesfest consists of 32 full sets over the five days, hopefully 2014 will be the same.
reddragon
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 10:41:38 PM

BC1987 wrote:
every year i spend an average of 3 - 4 weeks & make 8 - 10 drafts while trying to get around clashes & work the best possible schedule to see as much as possible for what the five days of bluesfest have to offer...

my average bluesfest consists of 32 full sets over the five days, hopefully 2014 will be the same.

Wow, I thought I was bad spending a day with the timetable and a highlighter. I'd watch every artist back to back if it was possible. You know sometimes I think it might be an interesting exercise to mark out all the bands you want to watch but then don't watch them and watch all of the ones you didn't highlight instead and experience an alternative Bluesfest. Maybe not.....better have a lie down now!
reddragon
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 10:58:29 PM

kleinigclan wrote:
Hi, Any hints for planning which stage / music to be at. (Obviously this is a personal preference) Looking for suggestions on how to make a itinerary or spreadsheet.
Thanks

To start with I'd go and see your main favourites, but it is also nice to build in some flexibility and just wander around and discover some artists. The first few Bluesfests I went to I didn't used to plan it too much, I'd just show up, watch my favs and the rest of the time go with the flow and end up being pleasantly surprised. For example walking into a tent, not knowing anything about them beforehand and being blow away by how amazing Gov't Mule were. Quiet often you can enjoy the acts on the smaller stages more than the bigger names.
glenboss
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 8:10:33 PM

BC1987 wrote:

It's quite sad isn't it BC1987. That's exactly what I do. The weird thing for me is that one of my sons just rolls up without even knowing who's playing and just goes with the flow. I just couldn't do that. But you know something, I just love every minute of the planning process.
ishtiaq
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 12:00:35 AM

OK - I stuck the playing schedules into an Excel spreadsheet and have two worksheets in it. The first is called Original schedule and is pretty much the same as the pdf
The second, called Sorted schedule should be useful to folks - it's sorted by times for each day - so you should be able to go down the list and see where people are performing .. in order ... and I colour coded the Stages to make it easier.

You can download the spreadsheet here
https://app.box.com/s/992ai2e0d7nc8ja7zsic

(Feel free to pass this on!)

cheers
rashad
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 12:52:37 AM

ishtiaq wrote:

OK - I stuck the playing schedules into an Excel spreadsheet and have two worksheets in it. The first is called Original schedule and is pretty much the same as the pdf
The second, called Sorted schedule should be useful to folks - it's sorted by times for each day - so you should be able to go down the list and see where people are performing .. in order ... and I colour coded the Stages to make it easier.

You can download the spreadsheet here
https://app.box.com/s/992ai2e0d7nc8ja7zsic

(Feel free to pass this on!)

cheers
rashad

Yes but all you have done is to group the artists closer together,with the stage name out the side instead of on top.
I prefer it as is,and find your versions too cluttered.
And I have pink,yellow,green,blue and orange highlighters which I can use to highlight the artists each day which are "not to be missed."
The rest of it is necessarily random.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 8:45:41 AM

I've got tickets just for Friday 18th April and there is so much great talent on that day. I honestly don't know how I'm going to see all the acts I want to see. Bluesfest needs to hire out golf buggies for quick travel between tents.
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:16:30 AM

eileenk9 wrote:
I've got tickets just for Friday 18th April and there is so much great talent on that day. I honestly don't know how I'm going to see all the acts I want to see. Bluesfest needs to hire out golf buggies for quick travel between tents.

If your the promoter you get given a golf cart, far too random for the punters, would need speed limits, sign-age, licensing, stop lights, breath analysis, speed cameras and a prosecution based reality TV show. An over head mono-rail would be the answer.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
eileenk9
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 10:37:36 AM

greybeard wrote:
eileenk9 wrote:

If your the promoter you get given a golf cart, far too random for the punters, would need speed limits, sign-age, licensing, stop lights, breath analysis, speed cameras and a prosecution based reality TV show. An over head mono-rail would be the answer.

Bicycles? Not much can go wrong there as long as there are no potholes
Bradders
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:28:50 AM

Bikes in that mud... nosiree
waffles
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:54:57 AM

what about...
http://www.segway.com/

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
rkaciuba
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 9:44:05 AM

Does anyone know the approx length of sets; or how long the interval is between each set? This slightly OCD bunny is trying to do up her timetable and the lack of finish times for each set on the timetable us causing some minor angst....cheers
zyfert
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 10:23:50 AM

rkaciuba wrote:
Does anyone know the approx length of sets; or how long the interval is between each set? This slightly OCD bunny is trying to do up her timetable and the lack of finish times for each set on the timetable us causing some minor angst....cheers

The general set time is 1 hour with a 30 minute break between - to set up the stage for the next act.
Longer set times for the major acts at the end of the day e.g. Dave Matthews will play for 2 - 2.5 hours.
Last year closer to the festival there was an amended playing schedule with all that information - start and finish times etc.
I would wait until the final announcement and I am sure there will be such a schedule and possibly phone apps as well.
greybeard
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 10:26:04 AM

waffles wrote:

Waffles, that's what we need 14000 Sedgeways rushing to get to the final show each night,
the Cops would have to have the tubo-charged version and the sniffer pooches would need side cars.
Just don't do a "Jim Heselden" google him.
Still it could solve the chair problems

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
waffles
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 11:28:07 AM

ok greybeard,i wasnt going to tell my surprise inter tent transport but...

http://www.martinjetpack.com/

don't tell anyone.Shame on you

ps I have had times I didn't need one of these....but that another story.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
eileenk9
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 1:32:00 PM

waffles wrote:
ok greybeard,i wasnt going to tell my surprise inter tent transport but...

http://www.martinjetpack.com/

don't tell anyone.Shame on you

ps I have had times I didn't need one of these....but that another story.

WINNER!!!! Applause
c0kebloke
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2014 3:00:04 AM

Hovering from tent to tent would be a good option.

http://youtu.be/y_IudE9aPgg

http://youtu.be/hJMvzjWjlyI

http://youtu.be/TkOH7r9xDak

They got the cocaine, oxycontin, mushrooms, marijuana
Vodka, plastic pop-off, twist one off
Yesterday I smoked, today I don't
Yeah, yeah, yeah

The Ike Reilly Assassination:Valentine's Day In Juárez