Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

French Quarter Festival, New Orleans Options
oldbilly1
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 9:57:28 PM
Groups: Member

Any tips from our travelling punters? Looks like this is the year for the Big Easy....
regards
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 11:02:06 AM

oldbilly1 wrote:
Any tips from our travelling punters? Looks like this is the year for the Big Easy....

I have friends that live local and others that travel in to town for FQF.

I do know that it has become more crowded the last few years and that is a lot harder to get cheap hotel rooms, than it once was.

Ther are lots of small stages and other bigger ones by the river.

If it gets too crowded some where, you can just move on to another stage. And it should not be too hot at that time of the year.

I am told that the Friday afternoon is the easiest to move around, which makes sense.

If there is someone that you realy want to see, from a close up position you may have to sort of camp at the stage or make friends with some people who

are planning to do so. I am not sure how the chair rules work, but some people love their chairs in NOLA, and they can as usual make things difficult.

They just released their line up the other day, and it looks good as usual. And you will be able to see lots of great local bands all over the place.

Thats about it for the moment as I have stuff to do. But I can get lots more insights from locals if you wish.
repete
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 2:48:45 PM

oldbilly1 wrote:

I had the joy of attending the FQF in 2009, one of the rare years when it immediately precedes jazzfest (I had 3 weeks of festivals in New Orleans, plus the Ponderosa Stomp and a week in south west Louisiana!). I hope you've got accommodation sorted as it's very close now - most of the funky l'il nawlinz places are probably booked out by now. If not, check out priceline.com for any last minute rooms.

Regards is right, the festival has grown a lot over the past few years and at times will feel crowded. However, it remains an indigenous festival - Louisiana artists only! Plus it's free and there's music everywhere throughout the French Quarter and down along the river. This year's lineup looks great.

I love the feel of FQF. Because it's free, there are lots of locals able to attend who otherwise can't afford jazzfest. Just walking through the Quarter, stopping in bars, listening and dancing to street music, engaging in a myriad of conversations and eating great food is as much a part of the experience as it is catching major artists on the big river stages. This is the fest where I saw Trombone Shorty for the first time, as well as seeing Feufollet, the Lost Bayou Ramblers, Treme Brass Band and the late Coco Robicheaux.

Enjoy it!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
repete
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 5:13:26 PM

Try and catch Aurora Nealand and Tuba Skinny. Flow Tribe are a great young funk band.

Also Glen David Andrews, Irvin Mayfield, Tom McDermott, Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Cha's, Davell Crawford, Corey Henry's Treme Funktet, Tommy Malone (subdudes) as well as Rebirth, Hot 8, Walter "Wolfman" Washington, Paul Sanchez and everyone else! There will be inevitable clashes (it's a really great bill) and as it's NOLA, you'll be distracted everywhere you turn. And then of course, after dark there's the clubs. Don't forget to rest when you can....hahahaha.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
oldbilly1
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 10:20:39 PM

Thanks for the tips, hotel secured, great festival app via iTunes and play for those with an interest, bring it on
regards
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:20:24 PM

oldbilly1 wrote:
Thanks for the tips, hotel secured, great festival app via iTunes and play for those with an interest, bring it on

I second Petes suggestions RE music.

I will check out the line up later, and see If i can spot any others to put forward.

What Hotel you staying at. I should know of a few dodgy establishments near, wherever you are.
oldbilly1
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:13:53 PM

Dauphine