Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Jazzfest bill announced Options
repete
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:29:51 AM
Groups: Member

...and it's pretty amazing for those lucky punters heading to New Orleans after Easter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EnxshehPDE

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
davidmoses
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:49:56 AM

Outstanding!
regards
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:23:50 AM

repete wrote:
...and it's pretty amazing for those lucky punters heading to New Orleans after Easter.

Hi Mate

Much better than last year from what I can see. Very strong accross all days. Phish will be a new one for me.

I know nothing of Christine Agiliera,except her name, but presume she must be an AEG act probably like Trey Songz. hence why they get on the bill.

My going broke in style tour is continuing, and I honestly do not know how the liver is going to handle Bluesfest leading straight in to

my JazzFest adventures, I fly home from Byron Tuesday night and head to the states the next morning.

I will have to behave very well in the lead up to Easter.
spanner1
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:36:44 PM

regards wrote:
repete wrote:

Hi Mate

Much better than last year from what I can see. Very strong accross all days. Phish will be a new one for me.

I know nothing of Christine Agiliera,except her name, but presume she must be an AEG act probably like Trey Songz. hence why they get on the bill.

My going broke in style tour is continuing, and I honestly do not know how the liver is going to handle Bluesfest leading straight in to

my JazzFest adventures, I fly home from Byron Tuesday night and head to the states the next morning.

wow regards what an amazing lineup and I am gobsmacked at your stamina to go straight from Bluesfest to this. Wish I had that sort of staying power. I will get there one day -maybe next year.
johnnymac
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:07:00 AM

Who needs to go to Norlins..............the graphic experience of the link is cool enough by itself!!
Thanks Repete.................. I run a design studio and we all just love it!!!!

Excellent line up.......to all that are going, enjoy and savour the experience.
repete
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:12:40 AM

johnnymac wrote:
Who needs to go to Norlins..............the graphic experience of the link is cool enough by itself!!
Thanks Repete.................. I run a design studio and we all just love it!!!!

Isn't the little video great?! The Preservation Hall soundtrack is pretty damn good too!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:23:38 AM

spanner1 wrote:
regards wrote:
repete wrote:

Hi Mate

wow regards what an amazing lineup and I am gobsmacked at your stamina to go straight from Bluesfest to this. Wish I had that sort of staying power. I will get there one day -maybe next year.

It is a matter of time and money.
You have to be able to take the time off work & be able to afford to do so.
It is sobering to read that there are 100,000 homeless people in Au.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:24:56 AM

repete wrote:
johnnymac wrote:

Isn't the little video great?! The Preservation Hall soundtrack is pretty damn good too!

It appears to be that there are quite a number of artists who do not fit under the "Jazz & Heritage" Banner.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
regards
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:28:51 PM

spanner1 wrote:
regards wrote:
repete wrote:

Hi Mate

Cheers mate

I am much happier with the line up this year. And as previously mentioned I am going to try and live in a healthy fashion for the first 2 weeks of April, to prepare.

I hope that you and others on this board get the chance to make it to JazzFest one day. And if i am there, I will gladly play tour guide.
I am lucky, plus a bit stupid,but being a single guy, with no commitments, makes it easier for me than most to get around.
regards
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:30:47 PM

johnnymac wrote:

Thanks, Cheers Will do
waffles
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:18:15 PM

all things considered with jazzfest and mountain jams lineups announced....for the size of bluesfest,and this years lineup i think we are pretty bloody lucky!!

of course its better for some that dont have to travel too far e.g. moi.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
repete
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 5:38:27 PM

TheLoneRanger wrote:
repete wrote:
johnnymac wrote:

It appears to be that there are quite a number of artists who do not fit under the "Jazz & Heritage" Banner.

It's a little bit like bluesfest no longer being a blues festival, although the "heritage" tag allows for a broad definition to apply and hence plenty of leeway. Included under heritage are blues, gospel, brass band, mardi gras indian, cajun, zydeco, r 'n b, funk, rap/hip hop/bounce and then with the close musical and cultural connections with parts of the Caribbean (particularly Cuba and Haiti) you are always going to see a lot of brilliant Latin artists and great collaborations; and of course great African artists given the direct links between African beats and rhythms and New Orleans second line beats (and mardi gras indian beats and chants). And finally there are the BNA's (big name artists) who probably really don't fit the heritage tag but help to draw big crowds (which enables the whole thing to happen!), some of whom may just happen to be drawn to a stage by some wonderful music and never leave. And I've seen some great BNA's at jazzfest across a whole lot of genres :d/

I have been told jazzfest tries to ensure 85% of all acts are New Orleans/Louisiana acts. Check out the daily lists on their webpage and you'll see big numbers of jazz bands, gospel choirs, neighbourhood brass bands, rural cajun and zydeco acts, social aid and pleasure clubs and mardi gras indian tribes - trust me, the music is all there and in all its glory. This is a huge festival which is much bigger than "jazzfest" itself...this is New Orleans at festival time and I really don't think there's a better place on earth to be...it's a damn pity I'm not going this year.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:02:00 PM

A well spoken and educated response.

No need for people to make comment, with out knowing the nuts and bolts of the situation.

Every BNA draws in people that help pay for the whole shebang, I do not think I would know one Christine Agulirea song, or however you spell it.

And I wont be watching, but I am sure that plenty will. But so be it.

TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:50:21 PM

waffles wrote:
all things considered with jazzfest and mountain jams lineups announced....for the size of bluesfest,and this years lineup i think we are pretty bloody lucky!!

of course its better for some that dont have to travel too far e.g. moi.

I agree.Economics must come into it.
When I look at alot of the names from both those lineups,we have been amazingly well served by Bluesfest over the years.
And especially by this year's lineup.