Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Ben Caplan Review Options
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2014 11:53:47 PM
Groups: Member

Tonight in a small club in Brisvegas I was reborn. In front of a small and initially lifeless crowd of about 80 Ben Caplan and the Casual Smokers took the crowd on a journey that evoked memories of small rollicking duke joints and the glorious all singing all dancing pentacostal revivalist churches of the deep south. Ben had the audience in his palms as he encouraged us to join in several rejoining songs and whipped the small crowd into a dancing and singing frenzy in an amazing climax to a vituoso performance by all on stage. The current incarnation of the Smokers were totally hot and anything but casual. The amazing drummer who drove the unrelenting rhythm was Ben Mc Kenna from Melbourne, a young aussie girl on double bass and back up vocals and completed by an an amazing violinist from Toronto. Ben is doing the next 2 nights in Melbourne and then the Sydney Fest before going home to Halifax. This man is destined for greatness and next time at Bluesfest he needs to be on a major stage to a bigger audience. Anyone who plays Leadbelly blues on a 5 string banjo needs to be heard by a wider audience. Ben is at the top of his game and this is a show not to be missed.This guy is the real deal and the new Tom Waites as far as this reviewer is concerned. I cannot remember feeling so drained, exhausted and totally elated after a show like tonight.
Oh and if you are in Brissy Saturday night do not miss the Peatbog Faieries from Skye in Scotland at the old museum who were the outstanding act from Woodford this year. Celtic folk punk hip hop techno- I think there is something there for everybody. See you there. I will have a BF shirt on.
unclerumple
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 7:12:25 AM

I too was at Woodford and will endorse every word of the above.
spanner1
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 9:15:48 AM

unclerumple wrote:
I too was at Woodford and will endorse every word of the above.
cheers uncle -Ben spoke very highly of his Woodford experience and also reminisced about Bluesfest last year.
Rachel76
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 12:56:47 PM

Thanks for the evocative review! Hubby and I are off to see Ben tomorrow night at the Caravan Club so I'll make sure I put on my dancing shoes!
mgwfall
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 3:41:59 PM

spanner1 wrote:
Tonight in a small club in Brisvegas I was reborn. In front of a small and initially lifeless crowd of about 80 Ben Caplan and the Casual Smokers took the crowd on a journey that evoked memories of small rollicking duke joints and the glorious all singing all dancing pentacostal revivalist churches of the deep south. Ben had the audience in his palms as he encouraged us to join in several rejoining songs and whipped the small crowd into a dancing and singing frenzy in an amazing climax to a vituoso performance by all on stage. The current incarnation of the Smokers were totally hot and anything but casual. The amazing drummer who drove the unrelenting rhythm was Ben Mc Kenna from Melbourne, a young aussie girl on double bass and back up vocals and completed by an an amazing violinist from Toronto. Ben is doing the next 2 nights in Melbourne and then the Sydney Fest before going home to Halifax. This man is destined for greatness and next time at Bluesfest he needs to be on a major stage to a bigger audience. Anyone who plays Leadbelly blues on a 5 string banjo needs to be heard by a wider audience. Ben is at the top of his game and this is a show not to be missed.This guy is the real deal and the new Tom Waites as far as this reviewer is concerned. I cannot remember feeling so drained, exhausted and totally elated after a show like tonight.
Oh and if you are in Brissy Saturday night do not miss the Peatbog Faieries from Skye in Scotland at the old museum who were the outstanding act from Woodford this year. Celtic folk punk hip hop techno- I think there is something there for everybody. See you there. I will have a BF shirt on.

Spanner, Admin liked your review, shared it on facebook
spanner1
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 4:57:24 PM

mgwfall wrote:
spanner1 wrote:

Spanner, Admin liked your review, shared it on facebook
thanks for the heads up mgwfall- nice little advertisement for the shows in melbourne and sydney. I am still buzzing and grinning from last nights performance.
arbee0
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 7:25:07 PM

I guess he took the momentum from Woodford to Brisbane then Spanner!
For others, here's a taste. Best I can find on youtube so far but try imagining this in festival atmosphere and with the fiddle in tune!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5bYqhKsVE
And agree that at least 2 numbers he did at Woodford were straight out of the Waits songbook - until we can get the real Waits, Ben is almost certainly as near as we'll get!

And thanks Cuter for the link that I think I had also posted a while ago with (also my own) favourite girl band. first time I saw Ben was when he was supporting the wonderful Norwegian girls just over a year ago in the UK. On what I've just seen at Woodford, I doubt he'll be supporting anyone anytime from now on!
skot20_58
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 8:18:43 PM

Every one should review every show they go to and post it on the board. Keeps everyone in the loop etc..... Great review by the way

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
spanner1
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 10:31:47 PM

arbee0 wrote:
I guess he took the momentum from Woodford to Brisbane then Spanner!
For others, here's a taste. Best I can find on youtube so far but try imagining this in festival atmosphere and with the fiddle in tune!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW5bYqhKsVE
And agree that at least 2 numbers he did at Woodford were straight out of the Waits songbook - until we can get the real Waits, Ben is almost certainly as near as we'll get!

And thanks Cuter for the link that I think I had also posted a while ago with (also my own) favourite girl band. first time I saw Ben was when he was supporting the wonderful Norwegian girls just over a year ago in the UK. On what I've just seen at Woodford, I doubt he'll be supporting anyone anytime from now on!
thanks arbee for the link. It was the same violinist the fantastic Geran Freeman-Fox playing in the clip. It was truly inspiring to sit and dance less than 2 meters from greatness last nighthttp://youtu.be/kGtITvq7iQk. Did you catch the Paebog Faieries at Woodford? Looking forward to them tomorrow night.
arbee0
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 11:50:49 PM

spanner1 wrote:
Did you catch the Paebog Faieries at Woodford? Looking forward to them tomorrow night.

Yeah Spanner, might consider going myself if I can ever tear myself away from CD's I bought at Woodford long enough to actually unpack the camp!
Faeries were right up there with a number of others (Babylon Circus, Crooked Fiddle Band, Braebach, Kangaroo Moon, amongst a couple of others) that are now laying down their celtic roots over a more contemporary drum'n'bass groove.
Hey, not the worst development that could happen? :)
I think/hope you'll enjoy
arbee0
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 12:38:08 AM

just in case anyone doubted Spanner's reference to Tom Waits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iODL5wvZbns
Rachel76
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2014 11:07:55 AM

Ben was as amazing as expected at Caravan Musuc Club last night! And his fiddle player OMG - bought his cd after the gig, totally fascinating mix of gypsy folk with some surprusing tinges of Indian music.
Loved Ben's rendition of "What a wonderful world" solo on the piano to finish the night.
Impressed by how tight the band was given their limited rehearsal time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKIPvWSKVyg
mgwfall
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 8:42:56 AM

Ben Caplan will be in the Sydney 702 studio with Simon Marney soon

If not in Sydney, or not near a radio can find streaming link here http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/