Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

JB report Options
skot20_58
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 6:34:22 AM
Groups: Member

Saw the john butler trio last night at the zoo in Brisbane. Really great show the new drummer was a bit slow off the blocks but once he settled in he was quite tight. Johns new music has finally progressed. I heard led zep phil Collins the doors jimmy hendrix and even a hint of tom morrello in the mix. His old stuff has been reworked a little bit here and there. It was my 19th time I have seen the butler and I walked away feeling the show was very fresh. Plenty of extended jams to as I think he lost that musicianship over the last few years.

I will definitely watch him again at blues fest......

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
spanner1
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 10:15:54 PM

thanks for the review skot I too will definitely turn up tp see jbt at BF as long as he doesn't clash with my fav must see os acts.
regards
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 10:31:22 PM

Sounds like a good gig, and I will be interested to see how it pans out.

I saw the post heading and thought that you may be referring to Justin Beaver, but then realised that he is not in Brisbane until the 26th.
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:17:39 AM

The last few times I've seen john solo or with the trio I walked away saying that was supreme but he could go so many other places musically speaking. And the zoo show he did, with April uprising it was like he picked the electric guitar and wrote songs on it just to shed the acoustic hippie image. But in my opinion the electric guitar songs came out sounding acoustic. At one point towards the end of the show I quickly ran to the bar with my back to the stage I swear it could have been tom morrello playing the guitar it was groove laiden and a little bit heavy.

I also noticed him telling stories about the songs before he played them like he used to years ago. I for one enjoy hearing stories about songs I think it's part of the JB experience. Byron also played keys playing bass on one keyboard and other sounds on the other. I wasn't close enough to see what type of keyboards they where.

And like I said the drummer took a bit to warm up but once he got going he's was fairly tight. He's not as flashy as Michael barker or Nicky Bomba but he brings more a modern rock feel.

The only complaints I had where some old songs like better than where slower than normal, I know Nicky sped a lot of stuff up but this new guy slowed it down. Slower than the record which made it lose it's swingy groove.
And he played a standard rock beat over picka part which made it sound weird, that song has a certain groove and the simple hi hat roll during the verse riff is a must and he left that out. It agitated me :)

I could speak for hours about this show and john..... Sorry :)

Dear Skot,
skot20_58
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:35:18 AM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nEANuKC9mWg

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Dear Skot,