Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What songs were inspired by Domestic Violence? Options
kai
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:43:45 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2008
Posts: 88
Points: -67
Location: Kirikiriroa, Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Hello music lovers!
I'm searching for for *any* songs (particularly blues/soul/reggae ones) that were inspired by domestic violence, old or new.
Can you please list any titles you know of here and any links to any clips/articles featuring *songs* about domestic violence.
And are there any artists/bands performing at Bluesfest 2014 (or previous) that are campaigners against domestic violence or advocates for victims?
Thanks!

Heres a couple I've found ...
Ella Fitzgerald and Louie Jordan - Stone Cold Dead In The Market (He Had It Coming)
Youtube link: http://youtu.be/2HlK96kSNt0

The Crystals - He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss)
Youtube link:http://youtu.be/ebDCRFSJzzU

Eric Clapton - It Hurts Me Too - Live
Youtube link: http://youtu.be/f1eLguycGpg


Musical Sauce: Blues/Soul/Swing & Ska/Reggae/Rocksteady/Dub
greybeard
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 5:48:16 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 1,627
Points: 2,218
Location: Sydney Northern Beaches

Its unstated but something is wrong in The Doors Love her Madly

What the Dixie Chicks did to that nice man Earl was violent

Lou Reed's Berlin

Fairytale in New York perhaps


Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
littlewillie
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2013 7:46:00 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/20/2008
Posts: 644
Points: 1,886
A couple of songs about murdering my baby

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe

Eric Sardinas (Peter "Doc"Clayton) Murdering Blues

then there's this http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-hits-keep-coming-30-songs-inspired-by-domestic,57741/
timcook123
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 10:18:26 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/21/2010
Posts: 961
Points: 1,299
Location: Umina Beach. Central Coast NSW
I killed Sally's lover - The Avett Brothers
A Bloody apology - the Avett Brothers
Frankies Gun - The Felice Brothers


When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan
unclerumple
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:13:46 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 1/20/2012
Posts: 109
Points: 39
You could try these two songs by Skip James.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/crow-jane-lyrics-skip-james.html
http://www.metrolyrics.com/2220-blues-lyrics-skip-james.html

And if you want to know any more about this very complex character from the 20s and 30s see this great article http://thebluehighway.com/blues/skip.html

cheers
glenboss
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:32:26 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 9/9/2011
Posts: 619
Points: -2,322
Coulene Anne by Joe McDonald on his Paris Sessions album. Recorded so long ago.
NSSherlock
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:12:19 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/24/2012
Posts: 57
Points: 80
Alice Cooper - "When Hell Comes Home".
From Welcome to my Nightmare 2. It's REALLY full on despite the rest of the album being rather light and even humorous in parts.
Lyrics http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/alicecooper/whenhellcomeshome.html
pod2006
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 6:16:36 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 5/17/2011
Posts: 292
Points: -801
32/20 Blues chain originally by Robert Johnson Skip James www.youtube.com/watch?v=x52a0bNzTmk
Luka by Susan Vega
I've got to go now --Toni Childs
Go Betweens Streets of our town makes reference to DV
Levi Stubbs's tears by Billy Bragg:

With the money from her accident
She bought herself a mobile home
So at least she could get some enjoyment
Out of being alone
No one could say that she was left up on the shelf
It's you and me against the World kid she mumbled to herself

When the world falls apart some things stay in place
Levi Stubbs' tears run down his face

She ran away from home on her mother's best coat
She was married before she was even entitled to vote
And her husband was one of those blokes
The sort that only laughs at his own jokes
The sort a war takes away
And when there wasn't a war he left anyway
...

One dark night he came home from the sea
And put a hole in her body where no hole should be
It hurt her more to see him walking out the door
And though they stitched her back together they left her heart in pieces on the floor

When the world falls apart some things stay in place
She takes off the Four Tops tape and puts it back in its case
When the world falls apart some things stay in place
Levi Stubbs' tears
RaucousReg
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:37:55 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 353
Points: 632
glenboss wrote:
Coulene Anne by Joe McDonald on his Paris Sessions album. Recorded so long ago.


I'd forgotten that one!

From memory it ends "Stomp, stomp went his feet on the porch/ Click, click went his key/ Bang, bang went Coulene's gun - poor Jimmy B!"

Jimmy wasn't anice person ...

namaste
RR
micknsteph01
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:35:05 PM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/21/2013
Posts: 10
Points: 30
Janie's got a gun - aerosmith
micknsteph01
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:36:15 PM
Rank: Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 11/21/2013
Posts: 10
Points: 30
and I think its called coward of the county by Kenny rogers. not sure if its your thing though
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:03:11 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/19/2008
Posts: 3,858
Points: 9,357
Location: 46* South
micknsteph01 wrote:
and I think its called coward of the county by Kenny rogers. not sure if its your thing though


Very well written & topical song.
The writers will be very pleased with Kenny's success with it.

Life is full of comprimises and Kenny,like the Eagles & Doobie brothers,has chosen a path that brings in the MOR crowd and puts food on his table,rather than eeking out a living as many countless musicans do.

You have reminded me that I was chewing over whether to see Dolly Parton next year.
She did a trio of awesome Bluegrass albums a decade ago.
Must investigate her current package.

Kenny's last tour downunder was with the legendary Glen Campbell,who unfortunately had to pull out due to his health issues.
A simply wonderful musican.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:44:15 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/28/2008
Posts: 679
Points: -737
Location: Brisbane
TheLoneRanger wrote:
micknsteph01 wrote:
and I think its called coward of the county by Kenny rogers. not sure if its your thing though


Very well written & topical song.
The writers will be very pleased with Kenny's success with it.

Life is full of comprimises and Kenny,like the Eagles & Doobie brothers,has chosen a path that brings in the MOR crowd and puts food on his table,rather than eeking out a living as many countless musicans do.

You have reminded me that I was chewing over whether to see Dolly Parton next year.
She did a trio of awesome Bluegrass albums a decade ago.
Must investigate her current package.

Kenny's last tour downunder was with the legendary Glen Campbell,who unfortunately had to pull out due to his health issues.
A simply wonderful musican.
Mr. Ranger - i am not sure whether the expression "Must investigate her current package" when discussing Dolly Parton is politically correct. I think you are most likely to get a greatest hits package that is much more country oriented than bluegrass. One thing you can be guaranteed is that she will have superb musicians if you like that sort of thing.
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:59:51 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/28/2008
Posts: 679
Points: -737
Location: Brisbane
"Used To Love Her"
GNR's "Used To Love Her" would have to feature on the quintessential domestic violence album. This thread impossibly a bit morbid and maudlin.
I used to love her
But I had to kill her
I used to love her, Mm, yeah
But I had to kill her
I had to put her six feet under
And I can still hear her complain
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:06:24 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/28/2008
Posts: 679
Points: -737
Location: Brisbane
pod2006 wrote:
32/20 Blues chain originally by Robert Johnson Skip James www.youtube.com/watch?v=x52a0bNzTmk
Luka by Susan Vega
I've got to go now --Toni Childs
Go Betweens Streets of our town makes reference to DV
Levi Stubbs's tears by Billy Bragg:

With the money from her accident
She bought herself a mobile home
So at least she could get some enjoyment
Out of being alone
No one could say that she was left up on the shelf
It's you and me against the World kid she mumbled to herself

When the world falls apart some things stay in place
Levi Stubbs' tears run down his face

She ran away from home on her mother's best coat
She was married before she was even entitled to vote
And her husband was one of those blokes
The sort that only laughs at his own jokes
The sort a war takes away
And when there wasn't a war he left anyway
...

One dark night he came home from the sea
And put a hole in her body where no hole should be
It hurt her more to see him walking out the door
And though they stitched her back together they left her heart in pieces on the floor

When the world falls apart some things stay in place
She takes off the Four Tops tape and puts it back in its case
When the world falls apart some things stay in place
Levi Stubbs' tears
I find it a tad ironic that such a gifted songwriter as Luka Bloom chose his name after hearing Suzanne Vega's "Luka" an anthem to domestic violence.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:39:06 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/19/2008
Posts: 3,858
Points: 9,357
Location: 46* South
spanner1 wrote:
pod2006 wrote:
32/20 Blues chain originally by Robert Johnson Skip James www.youtube.com/watch?v=x52a0bNzTmk
Luka by Susan Vega
I've got to go now --Toni Childs
Go Betweens Streets of our town makes reference to DV
Levi Stubbs's tears by Billy Bragg:

With the money from her accident
She bought herself a mobile home
So at least she could get some enjoyment
Out of being alone
No one could say that she was left up on the shelf
It's you and me against the World kid she mumbled to herself

When the world falls apart some things stay in place
Levi Stubbs' tears run down his face

She ran away from home on her mother's best coat
She was married before she was even entitled to vote
And her husband was one of those blokes
The sort that only laughs at his own jokes
The sort a war takes away
And when there wasn't a war he left anyway
...

One dark night he came home from the sea
And put a hole in her body where no hole should be
It hurt her more to see him walking out the door
And though they stitched her back together they left her heart in pieces on the floor

When the world falls apart some things stay in place
She takes off the Four Tops tape and puts it back in its case
When the world falls apart some things stay in place
Levi Stubbs' tears
I find it a tad ironic that such a gifted songwriter as Luka Bloom chose his name after hearing Suzanne Vega's "Luka" an anthem to domestic violence.


It is that darkness in the Irish...and the Scots...
Suzanne has written many great songs,and it is only right that he pays homage to her.
There are a large number of high profile artists who have a much smaller number of great songs to their credit,but having the odd hit single or two propels them to fame.
Suzanne is in the category of prolific signwriting and transfixing stage presence,but unknown to the multitude.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:35:43 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/28/2008
Posts: 679
Points: -737
Location: Brisbane
TheLoneRanger wrote:
spanner1 wrote:
pod2006 wrote:
32/20 Blues chain originally by Robert Johnson Skip James www.youtube.com/watch?v=x52a0bNzTmk
Luka by Susan Vega
I've got to go now --Toni Childs
Go Betweens Streets of our town makes reference to DV
Levi Stubbs's tears by Billy Bragg:

With the money from her accident
She bought herself a mobile home
So at least she could get some enjoyment
Out of being alone
No one could say that she was left up on the shelf
It's you and me against the World kid she mumbled to herself

When the world falls apart some things stay in place
Levi Stubbs' tears run down his face

She ran away from home on her mother's best coat
She was married before she was even entitled to vote
And her husband was one of those blokes
The sort that only laughs at his own jokes
The sort a war takes away
And when there wasn't a war he left anyway
...

One dark night he came home from the sea
And put a hole in her body where no hole should be
It hurt her more to see him walking out the door
And though they stitched her back together they left her heart in pieces on the floor

When the world falls apart some things stay in place
She takes off the Four Tops tape and puts it back in its case
When the world falls apart some things stay in place
Levi Stubbs' tears
I find it a tad ironic that such a gifted songwriter as Luka Bloom chose his name after hearing Suzanne Vega's "Luka" an anthem to domestic violence.


It is that darkness in the Irish...and the Scots...
Suzanne has written many great songs,and it is only right that he pays homage to her.
There are a large number of high profile artists who have a much smaller number of great songs to their credit,but having the odd hit single or two propels them to fame.
Suzanne is in the category of prolific signwriting and transfixing stage presence,but unknown to the multitude.
I agree LR that Suzanne Vega probably outside of her own country has not received the recognition that is unduly deserved. With regards to
Mr. Bloom I think he took the name Luka because he thought it was cool and better than Barry. He heard the song on a trans-Atlantic flight.
InfidelRider
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 8:01:28 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 4/13/2013
Posts: 99
Points: 224
With songs by Aerosmith, Alice Cooper and Guns 'n' Roses already mentioned, I guess that it's now safe for me to bring out a 1990s alternative track.

"So Rude"- Rebecca's Empire
fire462
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:28:07 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 2/13/2012
Posts: 48
Points: 53
Sorry Not Blues/Soul/Reggae but a great hip hop song with a strong message. Eminem / Rihanna. Love The Way You Lie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelHwf8o7_U
greybeard
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:45:38 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 1,627
Points: 2,218
Location: Sydney Northern Beaches
micknsteph01 wrote:
and I think its called coward of the county by Kenny rogers. not sure if its your thing though


Technically not domestic violence.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

SoClean Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
This page was generated in 0.209 seconds.