Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Kelly Joe Phelps. Options
johnnymac
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:51:25 AM
Groups: Member

KJP is currently touring Australia and about to do his first ever NZ shows.
having previously seen him at both Bluesfest and Narooma I immediately got tickets for his Auckland concert on the 20th Nov.

I have been on his website and it says solo tour but the local advertising is for a night of Americana from KJP with Caleb Klauder and Reb Willms, which sound real exciting............has anyone seen this collaboration in his Australian concerts??
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:42:30 PM

johnnymac wrote:

KJP is currently touring Australia and about to do his first ever NZ shows.
having previously seen him at both Bluesfest and Narooma I immediately got tickets for his Auckland concert on the 20th Nov.

I have been on his website and it says solo tour but the local advertising is for a night of Americana from KJP with Caleb Klauder and Reb Willms, which sound real exciting............has anyone seen this collaboration in his Australian concerts??
I was so excited by your post at the prospect of seeing KJP again but unfortunately he is not coming to brisbane. Enjoy the show you lucky bugger and look forward to your report. Hope he plays some older stuff as his last album had a bit too much of a religious spin for my taste.
johnnymac
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:25:40 AM

Kelly Joe played last night to a crowd of about 150/200 at the Kings Arms.
Set was mainly from his latest album Brother Sinner and the Whale and mostly with religious overtones although he did do a killer version of Johnson's Hell Hound on my Trail.
The man and his guitar seem joined at the hip when he plays and he is still amazing to watch on either National Steel or acoustic. The subject matter may have changed and the lyrics not as cutting but he is still a wonderful artist who had the crowd captivated. He even commented on the quietness of the crowd but the fact was they didn't want to miss a note with idle bar-room chatter.

Caleb Klauder and Reeb Willms opened for KJP and closed together with him. Great old Americana with excellent mandolin and guitar and two voices made for the genre, transported you back to the roots.
They are doing 9 NZ concerts................even Dunedin and Wanaka if you are interested Patrick?