Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Smartphone cameras Options
flipside
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:45:02 AM
Groups: Member

Now here is an interesting thought. Who has ever been annoyed by a myriad of illuminated phone screens blocking their view of the stage? Countless videos of dubious sound and visual quality recorded for posterity and YouTube. Have never seen the point in going to a gig and then concentrating on recording it rather than enjoying being in the moment. Whilst understanding the futility of even suggesting this, wouldn't it be nice if they went the way of folding chairs and were banished to the back of the tents! We went to the post Prince party at the HiFi last year where it was categorically stated that there was to be no filming. The majority accepted this request. The odd one tried to buck the system, Prince simply stopped playing. They got the message and a smartphone free night (morning!) proceeded until somewhere around 3am. It can be achieved! Just saying........
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:53:42 PM

I don't think I could attend blues fest with out recording everything I could, Facebook update every meal and movement and send work emails............. It's not the same doing it at home.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
bambambam
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2013 6:19:13 PM

The Luminaires frontman stopped the show last year appealing for people to stop filming,
I thought it went over pretty badly myself, apparently he did this at most of their shows.
I tend to think "just get over it mate" you are a performer and the music going public
have always made "bootlegs" of performances (we actually owe bootleggers a lot musically)

(((Just my two cents)))

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
spanner1
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 12:27:50 AM

[quote=bambambam]The Luminaires frontman stopped the show last year appealing for people to stop filming,
I thought it went over pretty badly myself, apparently he did this at most of their shows.
I tend to think "just get over it mate" you are a performer and the music going public
have always made "bootlegs" of performances (we actually owe bootleggers a lot musically)

(((Just my two cents)))

[/quoteYou missed the point. What he was really appealing for was for the dickheads with mobile phones to stop ruining the show for the rest of the punters. Very little of any bootleg quality has been recorded on mobile phones. Most of the cameras and audio in these smartphones are shit quality and most dickhands film it it to Facebook their friends to update there status. The best quality bootlegs are filmed on real cameras and the quality is much better when idiots are not waving smartphones in the air blocking everyones view.
mpember
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 1:26:08 AM

The trick is to stand in front of them. This both removes the distraction of the screen and increases the chance of you getting in their way.

I'll admit to having downloaded a few bootleg recordings of BF performances (by artists who have given permission for such recordings to be distributed), But if you are relying on a phone as the only way of 'seeing' an artist perform, then you are probably better off relying on more reliable sources. With so many artists making festivals part of their regular tours, the sets are often done with great constancy and regularity. The chances of seeing something that hasn't been done before is not all that high.

That said, I have fond memories of BF performances that are never to be repeated. The 'Fatherhood Project' set or Chris Wilson's Sunday morning church sessions spring to mind as sets that I don't expect to see again. It would have been great to get recordings of these. But I am glad I was there enjoying the music and not worrying about if someone was blocking my phone from capturing an out of focus video with mono sound.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:22:25 AM

what baffles me is that punters record crap footage on their phones and then upload it onto youtube...knowing it is crap. it just makes you giddy watching it,and trying to hear it.

what is worse is the growing trend of recording with ipads. nothing worse than having some one blocking your view with one of these held in the air.
there,thats mine for a Thursday morning.

ps I think it was ry cooder in brisvegas that said take your photos during the first song....then that's it!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
flipside
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 8:41:00 AM

Damn! Forgot to mention iPads. They just take the issue to a whole new level. Let's all reminisce about the days passed when the only thing you saw waving in the air was a ciggie lighter.
richo
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 3:33:50 PM

Four or five years ago I'd have agreed about the poor quality of the videos these folks are wasting their time getting. However the quality of the cameras in smartphones has markedly increased in the past few years to the point where they get some pretty amazing footage.

I don't film at shows myself... and I hate when the folks in front of me decide to... but I've also watched no shortage of live gems and rarities on YouTube in recent years that simply wouldn't exist if there weren't a few obnoxious filmers out there.
waffles
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:30:10 PM

its just the crap footage i hate.

bambambam
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:02:15 PM

[/quoteYou missed the point. What he was really appealing for was for the dickheads with mobile phones to stop ruining the show for the rest of the punters. Very little of any bootleg quality has been recorded on mobile phones. Most of the cameras and audio in these smartphones are shit quality and most dickhands film it it to Facebook their friends to update there status. The best quality bootlegs are filmed on real cameras and the quality is much better when idiots are not waving smartphones in the air blocking everyones view.
[/quote]

The Luminaires frontman actually stopped the show right in the middle of their most famous song "Ho Hey".
(you know, the song that gets all the airplay on the tele in numerous sound bites ect)
He then proceded to give a three minute dialogue on people being "in the moment" ect,,
They then started playing the song again half way through but they had lost me by this stage so I left.
I then found out they did the same thing in Brisbane, WHY???
So people can't post that song on youtube without it being cut in half probably.

I don't film with my phone and I don't care if they ban it or not.
If it was a keychain laser I would expect a band to stop mid song,
(I have seen bands stop for that reason)
But to stop mid song for a possible wonky clip on youtube,
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

anitra
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2013 9:44:56 PM

Bambambam, you are incorrect in your recounting of this incident. The Lumineers performed Ho Hey about half way through their set. The audience was having a great time. At the first very distinguishable notes of that song, an incredibly high proportion of the audience whipped out phones and started recording (and consequently looking more at the screens of their phones than at the band on the stage). No more than 20 seconds into the song, the lead singer stopped their playing, made a very quick appeal to the audience to put away the phones so that we could enjoy listening to the music rather than concentrating on a device (or words to that effect - something about being in the moment was probably said!). The appeal was made really nicely and it was a really appropriate message. The crowd appeared to recognize the relevance of the message and the mass of phones disappeared as quickly as they'd appeared. The Lumineers started the song from the beginning again and a great set continued to the end.

I'm sure The Lumineers don't give a rats about bad clips of themselves ending up on YouTube but rather were wanting to free the audience from the pressing sense of compulsion that so many in the social media generation are caught up in - that if you don't record or selfie something that can be immediately uploaded, tagged or tweeted, then you are not socially successful and your experience didn't count.

The incident was handled really well by the band and I think provided good food for thought for the audience.
bambambam
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 6:42:37 AM

The Luminaires appeared twice at bluesfest,
Did you go to both sets or just one???
(I admit, on reflection your description sounds more acuate than mine)
It still put me off and I couldn't understand it.
Maybe I'm just a cranky old man.

anitra
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 7:42:37 AM

I went to the first of their sets and was in the front row but off to the side. I saw them with my 17 year old son and thought they were great, providing that important fusion that marries contemporary appeal with high quality rootsy musical origins. Passenger will be next years equivalent act and I'm really looking forward to seeing him live. We have about three of his albums on high revolution in our household.

I didn't see the second Lumineer set as there was no possibility of relinquishing my middle of the front row position that I'd secured to ensure the best spot in the house for the majesty of Paul Simon. Contemporary is all very well, but don't let it be confused with true greatness!
waffles
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2013 8:42:51 AM

I used to take a camera to bluesfest,and with the stage so well lit,you don't need a flash.just turn your ISO settings up.
most newer phones have ISO settings on them but im not sure if you can turn the flash off.
the flash is what annoys artists and audience.

littlewillie
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2013 8:18:38 AM

A couple of months ago at a Paul Kelly concert in between songs he came to the front of the stage and spoke directly to a girl in the front row asking her politely to put her phone away as it was distracting him. I couldn't see if she was filming , facebooking or texting , but needless to say the phone soon disappeared.
lanyon79
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 9:35:39 PM

I'm on the same side as Flipside, don't record it, enjoy it. We used to get checked for cameras at the same time as other undesirable objects on the way into big gigs. Then along came the smartphone and it all changed. Even worse when you're 1.5M tall. Share the space, share the view. Keep the moments in your mind and your phone in your pocket.
Space5279
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:13:50 PM

I really hate the whole filming a song or gig on the iphone....especially when it is right in my eyeline. I never understood what these folks do with the foootage....just sit at home and relive it over and over again? A friend of mine has to take 50 pictures a gig. Once they are in photo form each picture looks the same, no matter what song the artist is playing!! Take one shot at the start then put it away!

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
mcloud
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:40:58 PM

it does not bother me at all - can't say I tape non-stop. But I have some great clips and pictures from over the years - really enjoy having a flick through every now and again. I also have lost count of how many live clips I have watched on youtube.

It ain't going to change - so I would not let it bother you people...