Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

patty griffin-silver bell Options
waffles
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:37:45 PM
Groups: Member

after reading the review in todays SMH i am currently listering to siver bell on spotify.
is this a new cd or just a new release of older patty griffin material?
the review didnt really make it clear. except to say other artists have covered several songs on this cd.

ps loving spotify. i was linked to it by bluesfest....which i usually hate..unwanted links,that is..but spotify is a great music library.

except the adds.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
arbee0
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 7:52:33 PM

Can someone help a techno-challenged fossil with how to drive Spotify?
It was very strongly recommended to me by a national broadcaster who use it professionally but, after immediately downloading, so far all I've been able to achieve is a window asking me to connect to Facebook - what the?!
(oh, and also a new stream of spam since then!)
greybeard
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 2:44:53 PM

Sorry can't help, but I can request you rethink

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/11/david-byrne-internet-content-world

As a fossil you will be found one day and nobody then will know what the hell this internet thingy was.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
spanner1
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 4:04:41 PM

greybeard wrote:

Sorry can't help, but I can request you rethink

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/11/david-byrne-internet-content-world

As a fossil you will be found one day and nobody then will know what the hell this internet thingy was.
thanks Greybeard for the link to this most interesting article. it is becoming increasingly difficult for musos to be paid for their output with the vast majority of punters moving to streaming and torrent sites. Its probably only us luddite oldies that still pay for music to add to our collections. Isn't it a tad ironic how the major labels that have screwed over artists for years in royalty payments have continued the rort through streaming sites like Spotify.
waffles
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 5:25:47 PM

i know this sounds a bit crazy from someone who has just recommended spotify,but i refuse to download music for free. youtube clips yes,but my music i will buy from amazon because i find aust. prices limit the amount of music i can purchase.
i have actually listened to cds on spotify and then bought them .mostly for the better sound quality.i try to do my bit to support the music industry.i will also not pay for downloads. i find the sound quality just not there.

but hey i like to listen to music through a pair of great big speakers,not some bookshelf things that look nice.

re spotify i did get my link through bluesfest facebook site.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
spanner1
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 8:38:00 PM

waffles wrote:
after reading the review in todays SMH i am currently listering to siver bell on spotify.
is this a new cd or just a new release of older patty griffin material?
the review didnt really make it clear. except to say other artists have covered several songs on this cd.

ps loving spotify. i was linked to it by bluesfest....which i usually hate..unwanted links,that is..but spotify is a great music library.

except the adds.
It is actually an album that was made in 2002 and not released until now due to the great record company consolidation of the early 2000's. The Dixie Chicks had success nearly a decade later releasing 'Top of the World' and "Truth #2' from the album. Natolie Maines returned to the album for its title track 'Silver Bell' for her 2013 debut album "Mother". In short it is an old shelved album that has finally been released due to recognition and interest generated by other artists.
One review i read suggested it was a transitional album and not one that would have necessarily bought Griffin to a larger audience. How do you rate it.