Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Fun Times in New Orleans during October Options
regards
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 4:28:37 AM
Groups: Member

I got to Nola on Tuesday the 1st and a mate was polite enough to collect me from the airport and after a brief stop at my lodgings we went straight off to see the Black Crowes at the newly renovated Civic and they were great but very loud, they did some of their classics as well as some cool covers like Lover of The Bayou, Mighty Quinn and Hush, good way to start my time here.

Wednesday I tried to sleep off the lag and headed down to the square, late arvo to see Kris Royal open up, who was fine and funky followed by Miss Irma Thomas who was great as usual, a couple of friends headed off to see Long John Mooney, but the lag returned and I had a few more beers and then took the street car home.
Thursday the whole was placed on storm alert so we did not know what to expect, headed off to Armstrong Park later on to see Soul project and The Soul Rebels, it pissed down for a while then Soul Project came out and played well, but they kept going and we realised that the rebels were not fronting, this did not matter as the project played for about 2 and half hours and improvised a lot.

Friday we were still on storm alert, but not much had happened as it was spinning around in the gulf. I headed over to Rock N Bowl for the Ponderosa Stomp, with my English music expert friend, who kept me informed as to who was who etc. I saw in order Richard Caiton, Charles Brimmer, Swamp Dogg, Baby Washington, Maxine Brown, Chris Clarke, The Sonics, Sonny Green, James Alexandar and Lynn August. All were good and it was great to see that a lot of the older krewe could still sing very well. The Sonics pumped it out, and the crowd loved em. Lynn August was doin some good Cajun stuff when I staggered out at 2.45. Good night indeed.

Saturday, storm got downgraded so worries were over, there was rain around but no dramas, I headed up river on the ferry a little bit to Gretna fest, the rain stuffed things up a bit, and Joe Clay only got to play 3 songs and Marcia Ball could not make it. Bit I started with all of Sunpie Barnes who was very good. I then did a bit of roaming and watched about 20 minutes of several acts including Tommy Malone, Monk and The Wild Magnolias, Johny Sketch and Louis Prima Junior. I then went to the big stage to see Blood Sweat and Tears, once I got over the shock of the lead singer being much younger than the rest of the band, I enjoyed them, the guy did sound like David Clayton Thomas and the band were good as you would expect, did all the hits and more, even if it was bit like a tribute show. Chicago came on next and i thought they were average,so I decided to bail early, but missed the ferry by about a minute and had to endure another 30 minutes of them doing all the MOR stuff and the singer with the high voice did not cut it, got on the ferry cracked my last can to cellebrate and we headed off down river, they started playing Im a Man, which was a song I did want to hear, but so be it.

On the Sunday the weather had come good was sunny with a strong wind that kept it cool in the sun.The acts started later because the Saints were playing Chicago on Big screens all over the site. I started off with Tab Benoit, who was good as usual, the game went a bit longer than thought and Tab was polite enough to keep it going on the big screen on his stage, his 3rd song ending coincided with the match ending, and Saints winning, so there was a big roar, Tab stood up and said thank you im Tab Benoit, which was very funny at the time, I then found the german beer garden which had very good 4 dollar beers. I then once again did some stage roamimg, and watched portions of Lena Prima,the fabulous Deacon John, Mandy Shaw and Glen David Andrews, I also saw some of the Ben Miller band who were very different with some unusual instruments including a one string bass box and various other things, I enjoyed em.
Then Z Z Top hit the stage and they were better than when I last saw them and did not seem to have as many tricked up sounds with them and and rocked out. It was a classic to hear them improvise with some of their lyrics to factor in being so close to Nola and being next to the Mississipi, especialy with Jesus Left Chicago, which go them a mighty roar, good stuff indeed, but they did play for long.
Great 2 days at Gretna fest a it is a good spot and the festival is right in the middle of town, so the different bars have stalls out the front and you can get good cheap beer. Shit the festival itself was only 20 bucks a day.

Monday was a lazy day, but headed out later to one of my favourite dive bars Check Point Charlies, to see a rough and ready local blues band who were very entertaining and then headed over to BMC for the Monday night Blues jam, which always has a good house band, this night it included Johny Sansones guitar player and others who I recognised but cant remember, they had some good guests get up including one very good harmonica player from Italy, and so it went and i was there till much later than planned.

Tuesday I hit the wall and did not do much at all wandered around city park and came home and attempted to do some work shit, which must be done late arvo due to the time difference, dinner at a local dive and had an early one.

Yesterday was time for free shows in the park again saw a local band called Pigeon Town and then caught up with heaps of local krewe who I know from JazzFest, who had all turned up to see Dragon Smoke who are a local super group of sorts that features Ivan Neville, Stanton Moore and Eric Lndell and they were very good as you would expect and rocked it and funked it up, in equal portions, I am buggared if i know where I ended up after that, but we had fun.

Tonight there is another free show in Armstrong Park featuring the Cyril Neville Band and then I am going to a charity gig at the Howlin Wolf which will feature Allen Toussaint, Doctor John and the Honey Island Swamp Band amongst others so it should be another decent night.

I will keep yall posted.
repete
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2013 10:08:59 AM

regards wrote:
I got to Nola on Tuesday the 1st and a mate was polite enough to collect me from the airport and after a brief stop at my lodgings we went straight off to see the Black Crowes at the newly renovated Civic and they were great but very loud, they did some of their classics as well as some cool covers like Lover of The Bayou, Mighty Quinn and Hush, good way to start my time here.

Wednesday I tried to sleep off the lag and headed down to the square, late arvo to see Kris Royal open up, who was fine and funky followed by Miss Irma Thomas who was great as usual, a couple of friends headed off to see Long John Mooney, but the lag returned and I had a few more beers and then took the street car home.
Thursday the whole was placed on storm alert so we did not know what to expect, headed off to Armstrong Park later on to see Soul project and The Soul Rebels, it pissed down for a while then Soul Project came out and played well, but they kept going and we realised that the rebels were not fronting, this did not matter as the project played for about 2 and half hours and improvised a lot.

Friday we were still on storm alert, but not much had happened as it was spinning around in the gulf. I headed over to Rock N Bowl for the Ponderosa Stomp, with my English music expert friend, who kept me informed as to who was who etc. I saw in order Richard Caiton, Charles Brimmer, Swamp Dogg, Baby Washington, Maxine Brown, Chris Clarke, The Sonics, Sonny Green, James Alexandar and Lynn August. All were good and it was great to see that a lot of the older krewe could still sing very well. The Sonics pumped it out, and the crowd loved em. Lynn August was doin some good Cajun stuff when I staggered out at 2.45. Good night indeed.

Saturday, storm got downgraded so worries were over, there was rain around but no dramas, I headed up river on the ferry a little bit to Gretna fest, the rain stuffed things up a bit, and Joe Clay only got to play 3 songs and Marcia Ball could not make it. Bit I started with all of Sunpie Barnes who was very good. I then did a bit of roaming and watched about 20 minutes of several acts including Tommy Malone, Monk and The Wild Magnolias, Johny Sketch and Louis Prima Junior. I then went to the big stage to see Blood Sweat and Tears, once I got over the shock of the lead singer being much younger than the rest of the band, I enjoyed them, the guy did sound like David Clayton Thomas and the band were good as you would expect, did all the hits and more, even if it was bit like a tribute show. Chicago came on next and i thought they were average,so I decided to bail early, but missed the ferry by about a minute and had to endure another 30 minutes of them doing all the MOR stuff and the singer with the high voice did not cut it, got on the ferry cracked my last can to cellebrate and we headed off down river, they started playing Im a Man, which was a song I did want to hear, but so be it.

On the Sunday the weather had come good was sunny with a strong wind that kept it cool in the sun.The acts started later because the Saints were playing Chicago on Big screens all over the site. I started off with Tab Benoit, who was good as usual, the game went a bit longer than thought and Tab was polite enough to keep it going on the big screen on his stage, his 3rd song ending coincided with the match ending, and Saints winning, so there was a big roar, Tab stood up and said thank you im Tab Benoit, which was very funny at the time, I then found the german beer garden which had very good 4 dollar beers. I then once again did some stage roamimg, and watched portions of Lena Prima,the fabulous Deacon John, Mandy Shaw and Glen David Andrews, I also saw some of the Ben Miller band who were very different with some unusual instruments including a one string bass box and various other things, I enjoyed em.
Then Z Z Top hit the stage and they were better than when I last saw them and did not seem to have as many tricked up sounds with them and and rocked out. It was a classic to hear them improvise with some of their lyrics to factor in being so close to Nola and being next to the Mississipi, especialy with Jesus Left Chicago, which go them a mighty roar, good stuff indeed, but they did play for long.
Great 2 days at Gretna fest a it is a good spot and the festival is right in the middle of town, so the different bars have stalls out the front and you can get good cheap beer. Shit the festival itself was only 20 bucks a day.

Monday was a lazy day, but headed out later to one of my favourite dive bars Check Point Charlies, to see a rough and ready local blues band who were very entertaining and then headed over to BMC for the Monday night Blues jam, which always has a good house band, this night it included Johny Sansones guitar player and others who I recognised but cant remember, they had some good guests get up including one very good harmonica player from Italy, and so it went and i was there till much later than planned.

Tuesday I hit the wall and did not do much at all wandered around city park and came home and attempted to do some work shit, which must be done late arvo due to the time difference, dinner at a local dive and had an early one.

Yesterday was time for free shows in the park again saw a local band called Pigeon Town and then caught up with heaps of local krewe who I know from JazzFest, who had all turned up to see Dragon Smoke who are a local super group of sorts that features Ivan Neville, Stanton Moore and Eric Lndell and they were very good as you would expect and rocked it and funked it up, in equal portions, I am buggared if i know where I ended up after that, but we had fun.

Tonight there is another free show in Armstrong Park featuring the Cyril Neville Band and then I am going to a charity gig at the Howlin Wolf which will feature Allen Toussaint, Doctor John and the Honey Island Swamp Band amongst others so it should be another decent night.

I will keep yall posted.

G'day mate - great report! I'm glad the storm blew over as it always makes me a bit nervous this time of year when I start tracking Caribbean storms and wondering where they'll make landfall.

Check Point Charlie's is my favorite bar in NOLA!! It's open 24/7 and also happens to have a laundromat out back. I used to wonder why Christie was so enthusiastic about doing the washing early in the morning until one morning when I finally staggered out at about 9.30am and see her propped up at a table by the open window on to Esplanade with a book and a glass of vodka and tonic! We saw a young girl singing there one night who was very very good - her band was crap but she was exceptional.

It sounds like the Stomp was a lot of fun - I wish they would move it back to the old dates over jazzfest. The sight of Tab playing in front of a screen with the Saints game must have been hilarious. How was Glen David Andrews? I hope he's on top of his personal demons as I reckon he's one of the most exciting and charismatic performers I have seen (his jazzfest performance in the Gospel Tent 4 years ago was one of the best live performances I have seen). Dragon Smoke is one of those bands I have always wanted to see but it always seemed their jazzfest shows didn't start until 2am which is way too late for this delicate soul (lol). Looking forward to the report on the Howlin Wolf show - Honey Island Swamp Band is a band I've always thought could be quietly added to a bluesfest bill.

I hope Lord Horror has been behaving himself - give our regards to all the krewe!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2013 2:32:13 AM

repete wrote:
regards wrote:

I will keep yall posted.

G'day mate - great report! I'm glad the storm blew over as it always makes me a bit nervous this time of year when I start tracking Caribbean storms and wondering where they'll make landfall.

Check Point Charlie's is my favorite bar in NOLA!! It's open 24/7 and also happens to have a laundromat out back. I used to wonder why Christie was so enthusiastic about doing the washing early in the morning until one morning when I finally staggered out at about 9.30am and see her propped up at a table by the open window on to Esplanade with a book and a glass of vodka and tonic! We saw a young girl singing there one night who was very very good - her band was crap but she was exceptional.

It sounds like the Stomp was a lot of fun - I wish they would move it back to the old dates over jazzfest. The sight of Tab playing in front of a screen with the Saints game must have been hilarious. How was Glen David Andrews? I hope he's on top of his personal demons as I reckon he's one of the most exciting and charismatic performers I have seen (his jazzfest performance in the Gospel Tent 4 years ago was one of the best live performances I have seen). Dragon Smoke is one of those bands I have always wanted to see but it always seemed their jazzfest shows didn't start until 2am which is way too late for this delicate soul (lol). Looking forward to the report on the Howlin Wolf show - Honey Island Swamp Band is a band I've always thought could be quietly added to a bluesfest bill.

I hope Lord Horror has been behaving himself - give our regards to all the krewe!

Hi Mate All good here
yeah ya right.Checkpoint charlies is good for me the convention types do not last long in there,I have been having a few late night beers and burgers at their sister establishment Igors on Saint Charles, as i am staying close to there, I also enjoyed doing my washing at Igors and having a Bloody when I lobbed for my first fest in 2002 after a while on the road.
Cyril neville in Armstrong Park was very good, his Mrs was on first with a variety of family members in band and they were OK then came Cyril who was in good form as it was his birthday, he played a varied set, brought his son and friends up for a while which was a bit of a worry after one song, but everything else was very good.
I then headed off to the Wolf for the save Shelly Beach benifit, I dont know if Alam Toussaint was on very early and bailed but I never saw him, I saw a bit of Colin Lake who I liked, some good pedal stell etc.Then Glen David played and he was in good form, it seems he has got his shit together, not that he has any option, if he stuffs up again he is going inside, he and band played well and he did not carry on too much. Then came kristin Diablo and band who I enjoyed, and she is a good sort, but I got distracted by some old friends. Honey Island Swamp Band were good as usual they seem to always bring it, in recent times, and they would be great at BluesFest.
Then came Doctor John who was solo, he did a lot of different versions of his songs which was good, then Johny Sansone got up with him standing well away centre stage and did one song, followed by June Yamaguchi, they were both good spots and added to the different feeling, The last song lots of people got up for a big finish and it was very good end to a great night.

Yesterday was the first day of the Louisiana Seafood Fest and it was another wondefull day, started off with lite rain early arvo bu then cleared, I caught up with a lot of krewe several of whom had taken the arvo off,WE saw Dave Jordan and the neighborhood improvement association, a good local band who tell stories in song about lots of local stuff. The it was the Wild Magnolias Big Chief Summit,which was good as usual, and the sound was great, as it was all day.
Royal Southern Brotherhood were next and rocked and funked it out very well, and impressed some of the Krewe who had not seen them before, I think that Devon Allman is getting better as a player, which is good as he is a nice bloke.Next up was a band called Revival, who are an Allman Brothers cover Band and I was dubious to start with, but they played each song very well and went over a treat, they sure had good content to use.
Johny Sketch and The Dirty Notes finished off with their usual high energy good value varied set and got a rousing reception. This was another top day for free, the beer was well priced $4 for a 15 ounce craft draught beer, or the same for a can of Amber, our festivals should take note. And the food was fine as you would imagine, with some of the best places in town having food booths out there, umm I can still taste some Alligator sausage on a stick.
I am getting a lift out to Houma today for the Saturday of the Voice of The Wetlands Festival, and tommorwow will probably head back to SeaFood Fest.

Lord Horror drove off a few days ago to King Biscuit and he will have many a story to tell when he returns in a few days.

I have passed on your best to several people and they give you a Who Dat in return.

I will report in after the weekend,

Geaux Saints
regards
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:37:20 AM

Saturday some friends were good enough to give me a lift down to Houma for the Voice of the Wetlands festival and we saw so much music it was amazing.

This year they had a new small saloon stage at the back of the old plantation mansion, and i started off watching Mitch Woods solo which was good and then he was gradualy joined by Tab Benoit on drums, big Cory on Bass and finally John Fohl on guitar and that was a very cool set.
Then saw some of the Honky Tonk summit featuring Gail Holiday,Waylon Thibodeaux,Bill Davis, Jim Dandy and others this was a good mix of cajun, country and everything else.
Then saw some of the Wild Magnolias again, and a cool cajun Band in the saloon, whose name i forget. It was then time for Tommy Malone with Johny Sansone which was good as you would expect. Finished off with Royal Southern Brotherhood, who played a slightly different set to the night before and ripped it up.
We had about a 90 minute drive home, and smiled the whole way. My friend decided that he wanted to go the next day, so back we went to Houma which was an interesting drive, bummer the seafood fest was on at the same time.

Started off with very different, one off act called New Orleans Drum and Bass, there were 3 very good bass players on stage all the time who were Charlie Wooton, Coery Duplechin, and one other, whose name sadly I forget, and there were 2 drummers during the whole set. Johny Vidacovich played all the set and Yonrico Scott for about half, but he also interchanged with Tab Benoit and Cyril Neville from time time, the musicianship on display was amazing, and some of the bass playing was spot on.Great gig in the saloon with about 100 people watching.
Then there was a bit a local music summit with Tab Benoit, Michael Doucet and Jo el Sounier, which incorporated many many musical styles.
Then came Chubby Carrier and his Bayou swamp band, with many guests, who one again pumped out verycool mix of local Louisiana sounds. I
was then at the saloon and cant remember who played as the 2 dollar kraft draught beers were getting to me.

We finished off with the Voice Of The Wetlands Allstars, which tonight was Tab Benoit, Cyril Neville,Anders Osborne, Big Chief Monk Boudreaux, Johny Sansone, Wayton Thibodeaux, Corey Duplechin, and Johny Vidacovich, which is a handy band, plus they had special guests Stanton Moore and Mitch Woods, plus Tommy Castro also played about half the set. Holy shit it was good, I have seen these guys at Jazzfest on a huge stage, in various forms, but here the setting was only moderate and the sound was great, they played a bit of everthing and it was all good. I hope someone recorded the gig, as it was a great finish to 2 very good days, and it was free of charge, and for a very good cause, to try and save the Wetlands, I did my best to donate by eating and drinking as much as possible. Lots of great local food for 5 or 6 bucks a pop, unreal, and I also grabbed some merch to donate, so as to kick in more.

Yesterday seemed very mellow in contrast, I needed to recover and did not do too much, but ended up at the blues jam, and discovered that the leader of the House Band played with Eric Burdon for 2 years, but I headed home sort of early. I may have an early one tonight and prepare for the next several days of fun and games including the Blues and BBQ Festival as well as Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Joy Theatre and so it goes.
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:09:12 PM

Well done sir!
repete
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:25:24 PM

I would have loved to have seen VOW Allstars at Houma - they're an amazing group of artists and I still dream Peter Noble can somehow cajole all of them coming to bluesfest in the near future. They are a ridiculously talented super-group of some of Louisiana's finest musicians. I caught their free performance in Lafayette Square last year (George Porter was on bass) and was spellbound, especially when Monk came on stage as darkness fell.

The Tab Benoit, Michael Doucet and Jo El Sonnier set would have been amazing to witness too.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:08:11 AM

tuesday was a lay day and I did some exercise for a change, and a small amount of w#rk.

Wednesday we were back in to it Big time started off at the square with Pappa Mali a great local guitar player who looks different as he has lost a tonne of weight and cut of all his hair, but he still plays very well and had the pedal steel player from the Revivalists with him, and it was a good set.
Then came a good up and comimg band the Revivalists who have a younger following, who I enjoyed especialy when the rocked it up a bit and had Pappa Mali guesting.

A few of us then headed over to the Civic to where we saw Honey Island who were good as usual, but were too loud, they were supporting J J Grey and Mofro, who unlike most of the crowd, i am not that familiar with, they were good but I found some of it a bit cheesy especialy when J J put his guitar down and just sang, but he has good voice, I enjoyed the Bluesier jams more than the mellower stuff, they had Papa Mali guest as well which was great. Good show for the grand total of twenty bucks. We then headed over to the historic Ramp Room to see Chris Mule from Honey Island and friends who were fine and covered all bases after about and hour I hit the wall and bailed, and of course surfaced the next day to have messages saying that J J Grey had joined them and the next one said the Alan Toussaint was playing with em, oh well shit happens, still a good day/night.

Yesterday we started at Armstrong park with a young band called Wes Raymond and the Soul factory who seemed good, but some old friends had lobbed, so we were talking too much, and I did not listen properly. John Cleary and band followed and were good as always, but it was a very familiar set list, I must say.

A few of us then headed over to Buffas to see some very good Jazz. Tom Macdermott and Aurora Nealand. Tom is a great piano player and Aurora a good singer and fine sax and clarinet player they did a variety of Jazz Styles featuring songs from Sydney Bechet and Django Rhinheart and others, a very good show in a small cool setting with decent cheap food, I will be back there to see them again if I get a chance.
Now the weekend beckons.
bambambam
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:29:46 AM

Thanks Regards,

Looking forward to the weekend report.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
regards
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:37:34 AM

Friday some friends had rolled in to Town for the Blues and BBQ festival and the friday night kicked off with the Iguanas who do mix of rockin blues with a hint of tes/mex and they were good as usual. Then came James Cotton who is celebrating his 70th year performing and he did some mighty fine harp playing with a crack band, to think that he is nearly 85, makes it even better, it was a realy good show. We then headed off to the saturn bar to see some people we know who were singing in a big mens chorus with a brass band backing and they were doing sea shanties, it was good one, with all the surprisingly young crowd singing along, but it was bloody crowded near the stage area and very smoky.

Saturday at Blues and BBQ I started off with a local, Guitar Lightning Lee, who put on a good rocking Blues show, then came Blind Boy Paxton who I did not see much off but he sang well.Then saw John Mooney who played extremely well, he seemed to have a gun fill in band of locals including Doctor Johns old drummer etc, and the show they whole show, ripped it up. Alvin Youngblood was next he had some good songs and is great when does the Blues stuff, gets a bit carried away with some of the full on rock stuff every now and again. Shemekia Copeland has a good voice and had some good songs, but also talked too much in patches. Then came Sonny Landreth who put on his usual good show, which showcased his mighty fine guitar playing. Johny Lang closed it out but did not do too much for me. Several of us, then headed over to the newly refurbished Joy Theatre, to see the Tedeschi Trucks band and what a fantastic show it was, the whole band were like a well oiled machine, showcasing songs from their new album and a mix of others, Big Sam guested on a couple of songs, and the sound was magnificent you could hear every intstrument, and even though it was a sellout the sightlines were cool. It is a very good venue. What a day.

Yesterday it was back to Blues and BBQ and we started off with Ed Perkins who is a local that I had never heard of and he was very good, has a top voice and a good band.Then it was Cedric Burnside and his very good guitar played whose name I forget, for a duo they pumped it out all the way through and went over very well. Then it was a young Louisiana Blues Player called Johnathon Boogie Long, he is a good young guitar player who put on a good rockin Blues set, with his fine young band, and he also could also tone it down a bit and did a good version of Midnight in Harlem. Saw most of Tommy Malone and he put on a fine show featuring songs from his latest album, which I think I will now buy. I then saw some of Beverly Guitar Watkins but got sidetracked talking to people I knew from home, who had come in to town with a tour group. Then it was The Lee Boys who put on their usual high energy Gospel tinged show with the ripping Pedal Steel and it went over a storm, great stuff indeed. Then it was Mighty Sam Maclain, who is a vetran bluesman who still has a good voice and a very tight band and they put on a good blues show. Then it was up to Mel Waiters to finish off, Mel is another veteran Blues/Soul Man who is a real showman, who loves playing up to the ladies in the crowd,he put on a very good mixed literal show with some hamming up and the crowd loved it, he can realy sing when he wants to, as could his co female vocalists, it was a good fun show at when it finished, everyone had a smile on their face. Another good long day at Blues and BBQ. Once again amazingly this is a free festival with WELL PRICED DECENT BEER, great food, and it is right in the middle of town.Congratulations to the Jazz and Heritage Foundation.
Quite a few of us then staggered off to DBA via the Chart Room to see Marc Stone and his Allstar Band, Marc is a good guy and is Rockin Doopsies guitar player amongst other things and has a show on WWOZ, he had a bunch of muso friends with him and special guests drop by, it was a good gig with some fine some playing indeed, at one stage a young 10 year old kid named Brendon, who is somewhat of a child prodigy, got up and played with them and he is good, I am sure we will hear more about this kid in the future.
Phew what a weekend, my ears and liver are hurting, and it will not be a late one tonight, but there is plenty of stuff to do on both Tuesday and Wednesday nights, before I have start heading towards home.
Always28
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:30:26 PM

Cedric's guitar is Steve Lightnin' Malcolm, they played at Narooma a few years back, great Mississippi Hill style blues
regards
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:09:42 PM

Always28 wrote:
Cedric's guitar is Steve Lightnin' Malcolm, they played at Narooma a few years back, great Mississippi Hill style blues

No I have seen Lightning Malcolm and this was not him. Good player whomever he is.

repete
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:26:56 PM

G'day mate, I reckon you should start planning for the French Quarter Fest next year as a lead in to jazzfest! There's a few weeks that can really test your stamina levels!

Seeing James Cotton again must have been special. The Iguanas are a great band and John Mooney is something else. Was L'il Freddie King playing? I reckon it's really special that he's going to be appearing at bluesfest next year.

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:21:13 AM

repete wrote:
G'day mate, I reckon you should start planning for the French Quarter Fest next year as a lead in to jazzfest! There's a few weeks that can really test your stamina levels!

Seeing James Cotton again must have been special. The Iguanas are a great band and John Mooney is something else. Was L'il Freddie King playing? I reckon it's really special that he's going to be appearing at bluesfest next year.

Hi Mate it was a great weekend. I think Lil Freddie must have been out of town, as I dont think i saw him mentioned around the place.

FQF sounds good but I would have to miss Bluesfest and they tell me FQF has started getting crowded, but we shall see.

I have been in LA since Thursday night but went out of NOLA in style.

Tuesday I started with John Cleary solo at Chickie Wah Wah, who had friends join him a couple of times and was very good as usual, we then get a lift over to the Apple Barrell to see one of the last gigs there by Kenny Schwarz and The Place of SiN, it was good fun and is sad to think they are closing the place.

Wednesday THe Voice Of The Wetlands Allstars played the square with some special guests and were very good again, there were stacks of options after that but a few of us went to the Little Gem to see Grayson Capps and one side guitarist, I had not seen Grayson before but he came well recomended, he is a good song writer and singer who can play well, he had some good songs and sings and comes accross very well, and was sticking it to the right wingers,and seemed to enjoy me giving him some vocal support when he was doing so. Good gig and a fine way to go out.

What a fun 22 days in New Orleans, I would recommend it to anyone, and I will have to go back I suppose.

I have no idea how many bands I have listed above, but will try and get motivated to list them, when I get home in a couple of days.

Have the joyous flight to look forward tommorrow, but it must be done. Cheers
Space5279
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:41:18 PM

Hey regards

Have really enjoyed reading about your escapades in NOLA. 22 days of almost non-stop revelry gets my applause!Applause Applause Applause

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
youngbill
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:34:57 AM

Thanks again
regards
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 2:36:26 PM

Hi Guys

I am now back in the ral world after a few days in LA with friends.

Glad you enjoyed some of my mumblings, I had a great time and saw heaps of good music, I am sure that I

will have withdrawal symptoms for a while, but my liver will need a break once the Melbourne Cup is out of the way.

I will try and get to the odd gig, but everything in Melbourne is so bloody expensive in comparison to Nola, so I will have to not get too

carried away.

Now I need to dig up some work to pay for future adventures, but I have already paid my airfare for JazzFest and for half of the cost of the house

for BluesFest, so at least those things are out of the way.

Better get back to listening to some of The CDs I grabbed from the music factory which with my WWOZ discount averaged out to $13 a disc.
spanner1
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2013 5:20:40 PM

dear regards- thank you for regaling us with your fantastic music experiences in NOLA. I am very envious of your experiences and was wondering what you do for a living that allows you to have such enriching experiences. I would love to travel to jazzfest with you one day to share your knowledge and experience. All the best
regards
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 2:23:06 PM

spanner1 wrote:
dear regards- thank you for regaling us with your fantastic music experiences in NOLA. I am very envious of your experiences and was wondering what you do for a living that allows you to have such enriching experiences. I would love to travel to jazzfest with you one day to share your knowledge and experience. All the best

Hi Mate

Glad you liked hearing about the gigs and stuff I saw.

I used to do big event, sporting and concert stuff Olympic Games etc. Both here and overseas. And have been to some great places, but trying to work in
paradise EG West Indies, is a lot bloody harder than being a tourist.

But things have changed in recent times, due to people retiring and company buyouts etc. And if things do not improve soon. I may soon have to try and find a normal job. Which will be hard.

I luckily still have a US bank account, which I have been able to put pounds and euros in to over the years, and when the aussie dollar was going mad, I was fortunately doing well at the time, and transferred a fair bit of aussie dollars across and a made a good profit, which was a pleasant change. So luckily I have what I call my US fighting fund, which at the moment is nearly doing better than my main aussie account.

So as single guy who owes no body anything, as long as I pay my rent. If I pick up a couple of good contracts a year I know I can bail when I feel like it.

But the health of my ageing parents is becoming problematic, so I am starting to adopt a do it whilst you can mentality, which is why my recent journey was a bit longer than originaly planned. And was dubbed the going broke in style tour.

RE JazzFest if you ever want any information in that regard, feel free to ask, I have learnt a bit from my regular Nola visits and am glad to say that I also have several good friends that live in Nola, who love providing information and helping out fellow music lovers. We also have a good network of friends from all round the States, which is how I have been able to get to Wannee and MagFest in Florida and Crawfish Festival in New Jersey, Chicago BluesFest and so on.

And with luck I will catch up with you at BluesFest next Easter, for a beer, which dangerously for my liver, leads straight in to JazzFest.

Cheers
spanner1
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 4:07:13 PM

Gidday regards- thank you for your prompt response. I too am sharing the ageing parent dilemma. I owe a deep gratitude to my dad for the early introduction and life long passion for jazz and blues. He accompanied me for years to bluesfest but is now too unwell. I would very much love to catch you for a beer or three next easter. Till then stay well and safe
Best wishes
bambambam
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2013 5:17:18 PM

I'm glad that other people in this forum can actually get to these far away places and bring back news,
At the moment, bluesfest is pretty much my sole outlet for all things musical. (and this forum)

The BDO is not my scene anymore, I hardly ever see live bands,
Will cross the street If I see a twenty something busker trying to play "wish you were here"
Can't stand acoustic solo acts in pubs playing rubbish pop songs while I'm trying to talk and eat.

So I'm one year off the big 5.0. and I'm almost over all music "Bahh Humbug"
(((((((((((((Except for Bluesfest))))))))))))))))))))

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous