Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Boomerang Festival Options
bambambam
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 4:58:27 PM
Groups: Member

Did anyone make it to Boomerang ???
I noticed Ray Beadle played on Saturday arvo.
Seemed like some good stuff going on there.

Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever,,, Anonymous
waffles
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 8:11:15 PM

on facebook it looked great.
hang my head that i didnt go.did have a 24 hour virus,which kept me close to the bathroom.
congrats to peter noble for doing the hard miles.

but i really enjoyed watching the koori knockout from newcastle on nitv.
the womens final was incredible.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
Jetts247
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:42:14 PM

Went along for Friday and Saturday. The crowds weren't big, but people were in a good mood and the vibe was very relaxed. Got in a bit late on Friday, but highlights for me were Shellie Morris and Archie Roach. Great music and deeply personal stories from both. Shellie singing Waterfalls, Singing for Rain and the Nanna Song were haunting. Archie singing almost everything was great, but my spine tingled with Took The Children Away. The opening ceremony was well attended and a good crowd heard Peter N declare that in years to come there would be 10 times the real number claiming to have been at the first edition!

There were noticeably more people Saturday than Friday. Ray B started just after gates opened around 11am, playing to a handful of people. An hour later, the crowd had filled out and there were hundreds there watching him ... great guitar work as always and a man who looks truly in love with his craft. Caught Shellie Morris again, this time with Djakapurra sitting in for the first part of the set, which for me made the experience even better. Thelma Plum was a new find for my 15 year old daughter. We then waited for the Chookie Dancers, who sadly weren't able to make the performance - a pity as we were looking forward to seeing them. Sadly, we had to leave then, so missed Xavier Rudd and Wantok Sing Sing, whoch i am sure would have been highlights.

We spent some time Saturday afternoon checking out other parts of the festival - artworks, basket weaving, story telling and lots more. There was lots to take in and we enjoyed chatting to people on the stands - again, lots of goodwill and great encounters.

We're really glad we got along to Boomerang this year. It wasn't nearly as full-on as Bluesfest, so we went to Byron looking for a more relaxed part holiday/part festival. On this count, the weekend really delivered. I'm hoping it grows into a financially viable and culturally rich festival. We'll be back!
rexrose
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:21:35 AM

We went to the festival on Saturday, and overall we were glad that we did attend. We decided that we would go for at least one day when the festival was announced at Bluesfest as we liked the idea.

For all those who drive to Bluesfest you will be happy to see the amount of work that has been done to the carparks. There is now a gravel strip for the full length of all the carparks that I saw so if it rains it will make it easier getting in and out.
There appears to be an access point from the highway being constructed when travelling from the north. Not sure what is happening from the south.

Unfortunately there was only one place to get coffee. I went to get a cup but took one look at the que and gave it a miss. It looked like it would take 30-40 mins to get served. I know it was the first festival, but this is also a problem at Bluesfest. The other food stalls were enough for the size of the crowd.

Xavier Rudd was on between 3 to 4-45pm. We knew that there was going to be a discussion on stage but from our point of view it went on for too long. There was a speaking tent where we felt that it would have been more appropriate to hold these discussions. I would have thought there would have been 15-20 mins of talk, similar for music, then more talk, more song and so on, and that would have been the format for the 105mins. We heard 1 song in 1 hour and so decided that enough was enough and we all left. Most of us came back to see Casey Donovan and Gurrumul having gone into Brunswick for tea. I was under the impression that this was mainly to be a celibration of culture, with the opportunity of listening to discussions in side tents. We all thought that the main stage should be for music as this is a greater unifier of people than listening to politicans talk. You may say they weren't politicans, but we all are in one way or another.

And yes, eveyone in our group walked around and spent differing amounts of time at the AlterNATIVE Stage as was each's want as well as the dance grounds and all the other tents.