Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Big Sounds Review Options
spanner1
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:25:24 PM
Groups: Member

Another great Big Sounds this week in Brisvegas. For those unfamiliar with this event it is an annual event that showcases over 120 bands across some 14 stages over 2 nights. Always too many bands missed but here are my highlights.
Wed.
The Audreys- Tasha Coates as gorgeous as ever and would be great at BF14 on a smaller stage
Yukon Blonde- power brit type pop with ferocious strumming and cool harmonies from Canadian trio.

Little Bastard- A staggeringly great 7 piece blue grass group from Sydney playing great originals and covers including Beatles. These guys were the best gig of the fest for mine. They are outrageously talented young multi instrumental musos who all sing and write. They sound like Mumford crossed with the Pogues. Fabulous energy these lads will do well in any setting but would kill a set on Jambalaya or Crossroads.If you want a bluegrass band at the fest Peter then make it this one.

The Harpoonist and the Axe Murderer- brilliant contemporary blues duo from Canada. Stunning grunge guitar and harp with great vocals.
These guys should definitely be on Peter's radar for next year and would be killer on Jambalaya or Apra.

Eagle and the Worm - talented group of youngsters. Big band 7 piece with brass. Power pop with catchy tunes that the kids all knew the words to. More suited to BDO or youth oriented fest.

Regurgitator- Had difficulty sighting band in small venue. Cute pink zoot suits and Gurge in full flight. Again not really BF material
Suffice to say i could not get into Billy Bragg's gig as i got there late after going to Spiegal tent to see Russell Morris who was fantastic doing Sharkmouth and greatest hits from 69' and deserves a larger stage at BF25.
Thurs.
Villainy-great hard heavy rock from some young dudes from Auckland. Great lead singer and good guitarist. Touring down oz east coast on first tour. Would go down well at BDO or other youth fest.

Your Favourite Enemy- amazing aural scales from Montreal based 6 piece. Total wall of sound with a front man with stellar rock presence. Guitarist played guitar with violin bow creating some unusual sonic sounds. Shades of Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails. Impressive but definately not BF oriented.

Thelma Plum- talented young artist who was at BF this year and is also on at Boomerang. Up and coming and a darling of the younger JJJ demographic. Nice accoustic pop set and has a great accompanying guitarist and harmony vocal.

Megan Washington- welcome home. First gig after two years living in London. A major highlight and reason for attending this fest. Washington played several new songs from a yet to be released album. She is a total diva completely in control of the music and rhythm of the band. It is like watching a white girl soul review. Megan exudes sassiness, theatricality, musicality with lashings of sex appeal. High on my wish list for BF next year. I hope Peter saw her and was as impressed as me and the packed audience.

Ariels- talented heavy metal trio from Brissy. Energetic and good at their genre though not a BF act.
In addition I popped off to the Spiegal tent again to see Wally "Goyte" de Backer and the Basics. Great 60's power pop melodies with lashings of surf guitar from this talented trio. Did not really excite me and i left halfway through the set in anticipation of the kiddies at Bris Sounds.

All in all another great Bris Sounds. Now bring on Caloundra.
on on
Spanner