Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Boomerang Options
skot20_58
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 3:50:05 PM
Groups: Member

People with money just don't get it. The poor ticket sale arent due to cultural apartheid its due simply to the fact that times are tough and people arent going to spend money on going to a festival with artist they know nothing about unless its on there doorstep. The reason why blues fest attracts so many people is the bands that are on the bill most of them are hugely popular. And for alot of people blues fest is the one big thing on there personal calender that they scrape money together to go see. Byron is a very expensive place to stay ask any blues fester. Its a fair way away from any where exept brisbane. So add travel cost, accomodation, and tickets to a festival where most middle class australians have never heard of most of the acts, you get what is happening poor ticket sales. To say its cultural apartheid is a very serious call.

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
Space5279
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 5:31:27 PM

skot20_58 wrote:
People with money just don't get it. The poor ticket sale arent due to cultural apartheid its due simply to the fact that times are tough and people arent going to spend money on going to a festival with artist they know nothing about unless its on there doorstep. The reason why blues fest attracts so many people is the bands that are on the bill most of them are hugely popular. And for alot of people blues fest is the one big thing on there personal calender that they scrape money together to go see. Byron is a very expensive place to stay ask any blues fester. Its a fair way away from any where exept brisbane. So add travel cost, accomodation, and tickets to a festival where most middle class australians have never heard of most of the acts, you get what is happening poor ticket sales. To say its cultural apartheid is a very serious call.

Agreed. Perhaps I am part of the blame, as I really don't care for most indigenous music, but I'm not a real fan of opera or classical either. That is just taste. My money is tied up in Bluesfest (5 day pass, camping, tent motel, VIP plus flights to and from Melbourne)....there is no way I could justify spending money on a festival that doesn't really interest me. Just like I wouldn't spend money on an arts & craft expo or going to a rugby match....just not my thing.

I do get the 'cultural apartheid' tag however. I should have more interest in indigenous culture and that is just ignorance and apathy on my part.

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:03:07 PM

There is a degree of cultural apartheid involved. The line up is the who's who of indigenous artists and they haven't shifted a ticket. Most Australians opinions when it comes to indigenous affairs is non existent. Look at the election indigenous affairs is not in anyway relevant to how 99.99% of people will vote. Most Australians don't care about the rightful owners of this land that were robbed of everything and exterminated. We still have the queen on our money we will elect a fraud who is a royalist but also trained as a catholic priest (Catholics are considered inferior to the royal bloodline and not allowed to marry into their inbred family). So people should make bold loud and grandstand statements surrounding indigenous culture to bring it to people's attention. Most Aussies will point to the money the government wastes on educating these people or giving them free dental etc. No effort is being made by the government to bridge any gap so it's up to the arts community to step up. If you look to revolutions the world over you will find artists poets singers play writers can actually chance society in a measurable context - Padraig Pease one of the most notable - One of Pearce's friends who was also executed was James Connolly who inspired John Lennons song "woman is the Nxxger of the world" which is quiet relevant when we look at the new leaders comments of recent in regards to women - the woman he referred to turned out to be a good old fashioned racist as well, with her recent comments! But if 50% of the population are considered objects what hope is there for the minority of the rightful landowners to be treated with respect and the reverence that any other nation would hold for these ancient and noble people? I say shout it from the rooftops why don't we know their songs and customs and stories? How else will we hear them when Tonys minions will continue to sweep then under the rug?
eileenk9
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 7:53:37 PM

I assume you are referring to this article which I posted in another thread ..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-04/boomerang/4935100
arbee0
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 9:34:23 PM

Such a shame if Boomerang fails to get off the ground.
There is definitely a market - and a real need to replace the sadly departed Dreaming at Woodford. It had grown into a magic, and major event before first the 2011 floods, and then political sensitivities to sponsorship sank it.
Some good points made above but isn't the main problem for Boomerang the timing? I wonder how many who might have otherwise tried it are going to either Narooma or Caloundra that weekend instead?
A big ask for a new "niche" event to compete against those.
Also a bit surprising to see no reference to Boomerang on the Bluesfest website?

The campsite could be a bit lonely. My tent will be the one playing Holmes Brothers between performances

youngbill
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 8:22:53 AM

As an internet forum is nothing without repetition or someone repeating something here goes.

As an internet forum is nothing without repetition or someone repeating something here goes.

Cultural apartheid - maybe, perhaps the media think it will upset people over their corn flakes as much as anything or just not sell more papers.

I'd think with Bluesfest's track record aside for media spending over the decades would have counted for something. Apparently not.

October long weekend, aside from Narooma, Caloundra, etc it's one of a few long weekends in the years for many people, maybe they are doing something else.

Obviously it was chosen specifically but perhaps another weekend would work even though the festival may need to be shortened?

As per my Narooma post, it's a fair hike considering most of this country's population are well south of the festival site.

I certainly hope it can go ahead.
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 6:56:56 PM

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=544108

I recall a conversation with a client whose family has a shearing contracting business,and who has shorn in Au on and off.
His father is rarotongan,but was adopted by a maori family, and his mother is maori.
On his first visit to rural Au he was quite taken aback with what he saw in regard to the aborigine people.
He said to me "We got a treaty."
Very relevant comments,and the post on this thread by "history,mystery and the wolf" expands the same.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8