Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Making new friends? Options
danitarajiah
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 7:00:32 PM

Groups: Member

Hi guys, I'm a kiwi gal who can't wait for Bluesfest next year!! I've been twice already. I'm going with my family and as much as I love them five days with just them to talk to is going to drive me a bit crazy. I'd love to be able to connect with others on the forum and maybe make some friends so that my next experience at bluesfest can be shared with more people. I'd love to hear from anyone on here who's just as excited as me about the lineup. I hope this is ok for me to post. Thanks :)
TheLoneRanger
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:59:47 PM

Great to hear that you are excited about the lineup so far.
There are posters here of all shapes & sizes and we have diverse musical tastes,but one thing[nearly] all of us have is a love for Bluesfest and a positive outlook.
It is fantastic that your family are motivated to attend as a group.

"An artist never really chooses when and where they will play.It is for promoters to make offers.It comes down as to whether tours are financially viable." Quote John Mayall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbEHzqildp8
melhannay
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 8:53:28 AM

Hey Danitarajiah, I have been twice too and there's no way on earth I'm missing this one. Not traveling as far as you though, that's a fair way for a family. People seem so friendly at the Bluesfest (probably cos they are all having such a good time) it's easy to strike up a chat with most people. If I catch u there I'll be sure to say hi :-)
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 8:54:42 AM

Hey there danitarajiah there is plenty to be excited about.

It's great to have you part of bf and of course the forum.

One thing everyone will tell you about bf as compared to other festivals is the genuine friendliness of the punters. I have been to festivals all over australia and overseas and bf is easily in the top three for friendly people, strangers will chat to you and everyone is welcoming.

I hope you make contact with many people as part of your bf experience and i'd love for my partner and i to have a beer or a lemonade with you at some point to discuss our shared love of music.

Keep in touch, see you next easter.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man...
danitarajiah
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 11:46:46 AM

hifromtomorrow - thanks, yes that would be awesome. Part of the reason I love bluesfest is the friendly vibe of the crowd and the general atmosphere that comes with a 5 day event. Meeting for drinks would be great.

cutercomputer - perfect, thanks that's exactly something I'd be interested in attending. Does anyone have any info regarding meet and greets? Is there some kind of informal members drinks event or something?
Always28
Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:03:49 PM

Some of the regulars meet at the 'Rails' the pub in Byron just near the defunct railway station on Thursday for a 'cleansing ale' before the fun starts.
danitarajiah
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:45:06 PM

cutercomputer - that sounds good. Will definitely get onto that. Still haven't booked our flight tickets yet. Thinking maybe Thursday evening ish, before some of the larger acts might be better than the day. hmmm, anyway will talk it out with others.

hifromtomorrow - keen to plan something?
Winston
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 12:53:54 PM

Hi all, I'm travelling up from Melbourne for my first Bluesfest, so I'd love to attend a gathering to get some hints and tips from the more experienced punters, and to meet some other music fans to shoot the breeze with.
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 1:21:11 PM

Sure, the tent mahal will become bf forum party central.
Stay tuned.
Also, we could pick somewhere inside, for a meeting point early in the day.

I will think on it.
We have 224 days to organise something, according to some counter I just saw.

Bradders
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 1:55:14 PM

hifromtomorrow wrote:
Sure, the tent mahal will become bf forum party central.
Stay tuned.
Also, we could pick somewhere inside, for a meeting point early in the day.

I will think on it.
We have 224 days to organise something, according to some counter I just saw.

are you sure there is enough time to organise something of this magnitude? d'oh!
waffles
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 2:04:53 PM

i think some solar powered lights on the taj mahal might be a feature!

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
hifromtomorrow
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 2:08:54 PM

The Tent Mahal will be identifiable, don't worry, the planning for that is well underway.

All will be revealed in good time (approximately 220 days I'd say).

danitarajiah
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 2:43:04 PM

Winston - that's great, you're going to have such an awesome time....I'm already so excited, and as hifromtomorrow says we've still got 220 days! Are you traveling with friends/family? Yes, I'm keen to meet up. More the merrier.

hifromtomorrow - what is this illusive Tent Mahal? Sorry not up with the play ;)
Winston
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 2:49:50 PM

danitarajiah I'm travelling alone. I've decided that I'm not going to let the lack of interest of my friends stop me from having an amazing time. This way I can see whoever I want to see and I don't have to worry about anyone else. I know at least one person who is also going, so ill catch up with them no doubt.
danitarajiah
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:15:20 PM

Winston, that's great that you're doing that. Last time I went I spent a lot of time wandering, listening to as much as I could. The family tend to just stay in one place, so I like to wander off and explore. You're right, the benefits of going alone means you don't have to organize everyone, or listen to one gig when you'd rather be at another.
johnnymac
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:30:05 PM

First time I have been on the forum for a while...........yep, as always28 points out, we have been doing the Rails on Thursday at midday for the last ten years I guess. A couple of beers, a meal and a chat before we are confined to festival food for five days!!! Always thought it should be better patronised rather than just the hard core that turns up, but it is a pretty hectic day organising everything and getting to Bluesfest by 4PM if you have arrived that day or the night before.
It is actually identifying who are the Bluesfest posters amongst the patrons that is the hard one...........we don't want it to look like a convention with name badges so just ask around!!! Our kiwi contingent is pretty much identifiable by accent and noise!!

Space5279
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 4:39:15 PM

Winston wrote:
danitarajiah I'm travelling alone. I've decided that I'm not going to let the lack of interest of my friends stop me from having an amazing time. This way I can see whoever I want to see and I don't have to worry about anyone else. I know at least one person who is also going, so ill catch up with them no doubt.

Winston, this is the best way to do it. When I have been by myself I haven't had a care in the world and have never had to make decisions on who to see based on what someone else wishes to do. Also you can wander off for a beer or a wee and not have to worry about finding your same spot back in the middle of the crowd or save a spot for when someone else does the same. This year I have a 5 day ticket but my wife is coming for 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) and another mate is also coming for 3 days (Thurs,Fri, Sat) so I have to yield a little bit.

"...wild Jamaican's from Kingston drinking Irish Moss
Listening to Peter Winston Macintosh..."
chaleegirl
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 9:18:47 PM

Hi guys

This will be my 3rd BF, each time coming with a different diversity of people!!
I'm a bit of a lurker normally but something about the warmth of this thread made me smile. What a fantastic idea!! 220 something days of getting to know some "New Friends" as Danitarajiah said then having an opportunity to catching up with them all prior to the festivities commencing!! Love it!!
Bradders
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 10:28:09 PM

I'd be keen for a meet up at some point.. good to get to know new peeps
Winston
Posted: Thursday, September 05, 2013 11:09:22 PM

chaleegirl wrote:
Hi guys

This will be my 3rd BF, each time coming with a different diversity of people!!
I'm a bit of a lurker normally but something about the warmth of this thread made me smile. What a fantastic idea!! 220 something days of getting to know some "New Friends" as Danitarajiah said then having an opportunity to catching up with them all prior to the festivities commencing!! Love it!!

It sure was a brilliant idea. I was wondering if something like this happened, but wasn't smart or brave enough to think of asking about it. I'm looking forward to those 220 days now not only for the next announcements, but to hopefully build some relationships based on a mutual love of music and artists.