Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

The camera issue Options
ralphjmoore
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 12:42:35 PM
Groups: Member

The official position on cameras is that anything with a removable lens will not be allowed, even an old SLR with a 50mm lens. Don't make hassles for yourself, leave it at home/in the car. Neither Security or Bluesfest will be offering any storage for items such as cameras or anything else that is refused entry. Sorry for any inconvenience, but thats the official policy.
richo
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 1:32:00 PM

Not that it'll affect me in any way, but that strikes me as a bit of a stupid policy... I mean it would take no more or less time for security to distinguish between an SLR and non-SLR than it would for them to distinguish between excessive zoom/telephoto lenses vs acceptable lenses. And if it's an issue of artist copyright/intellectual property rights, then there are loads of non-SLR cameras out there that'll take equally as good or better photos than many of the SLRs on the market.
steveakers
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 11:20:31 PM

I got a lot of grief at the gate a few years ago when I tried to bring in my 1960's Asahi Pentax. This camera doesn't even take batteries, but because the lens screwed off, the monkeys on the gate wouldn't allow it. Get a slimline digital with 3x optical zoom and snap away. Most artists couldn't give a stuff these days, The Who have "Whotube" and Bob Geldof runs a competition on his website for the best videos.
RaucousReg
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:07:16 AM

I recall years when the determining factor was the length of the lens!!! There was a character I often chatted with back then who had to get a "permission slip" to take his camera in- quite bizarre.

Last year was the first time I took a camera- it has more powerful zoom than my trusty Yashica which is now effectively banned from the site and like most digital cameras has video capture capability which, according to the long standing rules, SHOULD mean it can't be brought on site. Similarly the official rules SHOULD mean that technological scurge the mobile phone is banned- we can but dream.

So take your digital camera and leave the SLR at home/ in the car etc.

namaste
RR
waffles
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 10:29:18 AM

i take a digital with x10 lens-no worries.
i have trouble getting good night shots with the stage lighting. does this mean i should have a high ISO setting?

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
fuschia_chick1
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 9:54:59 AM

indeed, to me it seems absolutely RIDICULOUS that the determining factor is removable lens, when digi cameras nowadays have massive high ISO and psycho zooms capability (i looked at one yesterday with 12x zoom).

Especially if you only are carrying one lens ... what are you going to do ... take the lens off and leave it with nothing?

I don't really mind for myself, I just have a dislike of rules that I can't see the reasoning behind. Reasonable, no dramas, but when it's just random stuff and is for an age that has LONG past, it seems silly to me.

looks like I'll be bringing the $2 hanimex 35mm no zoom plastic lens one I picked up at vinnies yesterday. Look out for me, I'll be the one with the toy camera!
zyfert
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 10:30:22 AM

Agree it is ridiculous. Hopefully someone from Bluefest will be reading this and implement some new rules although it will be too late for this festival.
I have a digital that fits into my pocket with 10X optical zoom and 100X digital zoom and 10 MP resolution.
A high ISO is the go however I just leave mine set on auto.

colinsid
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 6:45:33 PM

I think the ban is related to the physical size of SLR & them getting in the way of people trying to enjoy the music.
Whilst I take a compact camera & take a few photos, but prefer to live for the moment & enjoy the music.
I personally would like to see mobile phones banned & people preventing from holding these & other cameras up for long periods obviously taking videos, which is banned.
simon_simon
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:16:20 AM

hi all,

I haven't found anywhere that tells you can't take an SLR camera to the festival. The conditions on the ticket state that only small still cameras are allow and professional still cameras are not, if you ask me that is way to subjective and open for argument. My SLR is by no means of professional quality and in the past 6 times I have been to the festival I have never had an issue with the camera (however the last time I was at the festival was in 2005).

So i am charging the batteries up tonight before heading up to byron tomorrow morning.

Enjoy the festival !
RaucousReg
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:35:44 AM

simon_simon wrote:
hi all,

I haven't found anywhere that tells you can't take an SLR camera to the festival. The conditions on the ticket state that only small still cameras are allow and professional still cameras are not, if you ask me that is way to subjective and open for argument. My SLR is by no means of professional quality and in the past 6 times I have been to the festival I have never had an issue with the camera (however the last time I was at the festival was in 2005).

So i am charging the batteries up tonight before heading up to byron tomorrow morning.

Enjoy the festival !

Have an alternate ready!!!

namaste
RR
kelsmorgan
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 8:05:50 PM

I was able to bring my digital slr in with no problems, the only thing i had to say was that it didnt take videos (which it can't).