Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Accommodation for volunteers Options
tompmoeller
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 10:13:06 PM
Groups: Member

I've been volunteering at 4 different festival in Europe. Roskilde (Denmark), Skanderborg (Denmark), Tunoe (Denmark) and a body painting festival in Switzerland . They all had free accommodation for the people that were volunteering. I bring this up, well i have no place to stay and 160 $ seems a lot for a camping spot for a tent. Why have the organizers of festival not assured free accommodation for the volunteers ? And should the assured free accommodation ? Is it even possible ?

Well , everything is possible ;-)

The 3 Danish festivals give the proceeds to charity - 160 $ It's simply bad taste.

IF you agree , let me know what you think . Even better if you disagree -
Let get a good talk going.

Frilly69
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 6:03:28 AM

Hi There!

Yeah I kind of agree... I volunteer at Woodford Folk Festival and they provide free camping. I know that Bluesfest offer two free meals, so that's really appreciated. I don't expect free camping however you should be able to apply for a reduced rate. And don't forget Byron is a extremely popular holiday spot (I'm not sure about the ones you mentioned you had been to, would you let me know?) and at a time like the Bluefest the can certainly raise the prices to whatever they like. I was happy to pay $160.00 for my camp spot however it would be nice to be able to get a bit of a discount. See you there??
greybeard
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 10:03:32 AM

Quote:
a body painting festival in Switzerland .

That's just so wrong.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
djbradford26
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 10:47:27 AM

Yeah, bear in mind it is Easter, which means rates anywhere are tripled and accommodation is sparse as it is...
acb
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 11:26:14 AM

Call me old fashioned, but you could spend some of the money saved on the ticket price.......

What next, free air travel?

Andrew (churlish old non-vollie)

tompmoeller
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 12:52:26 PM

Yes, i'll see you there. But the rain !!!! arrrgghhh

Roskilde festival had 110,000 people in 2008, I dont know if that would be call an extremely popular holiday spot. For the week the festival is on , yes. They other two is mainly Danish festivals , i mean - mainly danish people at the festivals. And they are popular holiday spot. But not were the people that own the camping spots , turn into greedy (insert your favorite greedy stereotype).

Frilly69 wrote:
Hi There!

Yeah I kind of agree... I volunteer at Woodford Folk Festival and they provide free camping. I know that Bluesfest offer two free meals, so that's really appreciated. I don't expect free camping however you should be able to apply for a reduced rate. And don't forget Byron is a extremely popular holiday spot (I'm not sure about the ones you mentioned you had been to, would you let me know?) and at a time like the Bluefest the can certainly raise the prices to whatever they like. I was happy to pay $160.00 for my camp spot however it would be nice to be able to get a bit of a discount. See you there??

It was great , naked people every were and a lot of creative people.

greybeard wrote:
Quote:
a body painting festival in Switzerland .

That's just so wrong.

You are old fashioned ?

Im if a different mindset , when it comes to festivals i guess. Something i know is - When you are a volunteer and stay around the people you work with , the festival becomes better. The crew becomes a tightnit crew, the social interaction will help the festival over all.

acb wrote:
Call me old fashioned, but you could spend some of the money saved on the ticket price.......

What next, free air travel?

Andrew (churlish old non-vollie)

greybeard
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 1:44:45 PM

Quote:
You are old fashioned ?

Love that gentle Teutonic sense of humor

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.