Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Anyone going to be in the States during October? Options
regards
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:30:01 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 599
Points: 710
I am going to be burning some frequent flyer points and getting ripped of by QANTAS with fees and charges and heading back to the USA in October.

There are a few good Festivals in the Nola area during October, and I hope to get to some of the Ponderosa Stomp and the Gretna Fest, which are on at the same time, although Gretna still goes on the Sunday.

The next Fri, Sat, Sunday is the Louisiana SeaFood Festival which is FOC and by the river with great food and music.

And I think that Saturday out in Houma is the Voice of The Wetlands Fest, a few days later is the fantastic Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival which has lots of great acts playing FOC in Lafeyette Square for 3 days.

Ther will also be the normal other great club gigs going on during this time period

So if you are in the States during October dont forget to head down South.
spanner1
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:33:38 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/28/2008
Posts: 679
Points: -737
Location: Brisbane
Mammoth Festival of Beers & Bluesapalooza <info@mammothbluesbrewsfest.com> Now this is what I call a Bluesfest- 80 breweries with Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Joan Osborne, John Hammond, Tinsley Ellis, Vintage Trouble and a host of others thrown in by the picturesque Mammoth Lake. Seriously though I am incredibly envious of your upcoming trip regards so please keep us plebs up to date of your travel and musical sojourn.
repete
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:51:05 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 999
Points: 3,036
regards wrote:
I am going to be burning some frequent flyer points and getting ripped of by QANTAS with fees and charges and heading back to the USA in October.

There are a few good Festivals in the Nola area during October, and I hope to get to some of the Ponderosa Stomp and the Gretna Fest, which are on at the same time, although Gretna still goes on the Sunday.

The next Fri, Sat, Sunday is the Louisiana SeaFood Festival which is FOC and by the river with great food and music.

And I think that Saturday out in Houma is the Voice of The Wetlands Fest, a few days later is the fantastic Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival which has lots of great acts playing FOC in Lafeyette Square for 3 days.

Ther will also be the normal other great club gigs going on during this time period

So if you are in the States during October dont forget to head down South.


The line up for this year's Stomp looks amazing. I remember when it used to be on during jazzfest and meeting a lot of people there who had come to Nola for the Stomp and not jazzfest! Voice of the Wetlands Fest should be great as should the Blues and BBQ Fest. Envious.....lol !!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
regards
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:13:14 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 599
Points: 710
spanner1 wrote:
Mammoth Festival of Beers & Bluesapalooza <info@mammothbluesbrewsfest.com> Now this is what I call a Bluesfest- 80 breweries with Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Joan Osborne, John Hammond, Tinsley Ellis, Vintage Trouble and a host of others thrown in by the picturesque Mammoth Lake. Seriously though I am incredibly envious of your upcoming trip regards so please keep us plebs up to date of your travel and musical sojourn.


Sounds like an interesting festival I will have to suss that one out one day.

I still dont know exactly what I am doing but have an extremely good rental deal in Nola ,and Blues and BBQ has James Cotton, Lightning Lee, The Iguanas, John Mooney, Sonny Landreth, Johny Lang, Rev John Wilkins, Blind Boy Paxton, Alvin YoungBlood Heart, Shemekia Copeland, Cedric Burnside, The Lee Boys, Mel Waiters, Johnathon Booogie Long, Beverly Guitar Watkins and Mighty Sam McClain. It a free event,Bloody amazing. JazzFest helps to subsidise this fest as one of their community projects.

I will try and not be lazy as keep people abreast of what I get up to and see and hear, but the Abitas seem to make me slacker than usual.
regards
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:20:09 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 12/20/2009
Posts: 599
Points: 710
repete wrote:
regards wrote:
I am going to be burning some frequent flyer points and getting ripped of by QANTAS with fees and charges and heading back to the USA in October.

There are a few good Festivals in the Nola area during October, and I hope to get to some of the Ponderosa Stomp and the Gretna Fest, which are on at the same time, although Gretna still goes on the Sunday.

The next Fri, Sat, Sunday is the Louisiana SeaFood Festival which is FOC and by the river with great food and music.

And I think that Saturday out in Houma is the Voice of The Wetlands Fest, a few days later is the fantastic Crescent City Blues and BBQ Festival which has lots of great acts playing FOC in Lafeyette Square for 3 days.

Ther will also be the normal other great club gigs going on during this time period

So if you are in the States during October dont forget to head down South.


The line up for this year's Stomp looks amazing. I remember when it used to be on during jazzfest and meeting a lot of people there who had come to Nola for the Stomp and not jazzfest! Voice of the Wetlands Fest should be great as should the Blues and BBQ Fest. Envious.....lol !!


Hi Pete

I must admit that I do not know of many of the stomp people playing, but Mr Horror will soon give me the run down on who is who.

Blues and BBQ is also Horror Half century fest, so that should be fun.

I went to the very first stomp in 2002 when it was at a small community hall in the garden district, when they may have had Jodie williams and Herb Hardesty, Earl Palmer and so on play. It was lucky, I was staying nearby and saw an ad and thought shit this is walking distance, why not go.

I will keep you posted as to my misadventures etc.
repete
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:06:45 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/17/2008
Posts: 999
Points: 3,036
regards wrote:
I must admit that I do not know of many of the stomp people playing, but Mr Horror will soon give me the run down on who is who.

Blues and BBQ is also Horror Half century fest, so that should be fun.

I went to the very first stomp in 2002 when it was at a small community hall in the garden district, when they may have had Jodie williams and Herb Hardesty, Earl Palmer and so on play. It was lucky, I was staying nearby and saw an ad and thought shit this is walking distance, why not go.

I will keep you posted as to my misadventures etc.


When I saw Lynn August's name on the Stomp's bill, I was amazed. Blind zydeco accordian player, I first came across his music on a great DVD, Louisiana Blues (thanks LMF). He's fantastic and it's great he's still performing. The Standells are the other stand-out act IMO - I can remember them as a teenager in the 60's!

I'm envious you get to see James Cotton again at the Blues and BBQ fest (what a line up!).

Do keep Lord Horror on a tight leash....hahahahaha!!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

SoClean Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.
This page was generated in 0.099 seconds.