Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Lucinda Options
repete
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 8:07:34 AM
Groups: Member

I caught her show last night in Melbourne. I am happy to say this was one of the best performances I have ever seen by any artist and that she is in rare form. For almost 2 1/2 hours she mesmerised an enraptured enthusiastic audience, dedicating the show to a musician friend who died yesterday - Duane Jarvis. The new band is sensational and the full frontal twin guitar assault is going to blow away a few punters at fest this year. And her voice was just amazing! The quieter songs she just absolutely nailed, wringing every drop of emotion imaginable out of a stunning version of Blue. And yet the most poignant moment came right at the end, when she came back on alone after the 3 song encore, and standing alone in the spotlight she sang an old Hendrix song, Angel, in dedication to her friend. You could have heard a pin drop in the packed house. Finally, after being cursed with cancelled shows and booked out gigs and impossible choices, I have finally seen her play!

Lucinda Williams is one of the most significant artists to ever play at fest and make no mistake who is the headline act this year - head and shoulders above the rest. Only a fool would miss at least one of her shows, but I would urge punters to see both, coz it's likely they'll be completely different, such is the huge catalogue of songs she can draw from.

Thanks Lu, for a great night!

Hangin' out on Frenchmen
Sharleen7
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 9:11:45 AM

Great review, Pete! I'm certainly looking forward to seeing her at Bluesfest, even more so now having read your report. What a fitting send-off for your own trip to New Orleans, too!

EXCESS in Moderation
gemshell
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 9:20:25 AM
Groups: Guest

Thanks for the great review!!!! I'm counting down the minutes to I go and another artist I can't wait to see!!
cheers
gerardf
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 9:44:22 AM

I was already looking forward to next Monday at The Enmore in Sydney, now I can't wait!

Don't you know there ain't no Devil, there's just God when he's drunk
phelan1973
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 11:39:16 AM
Groups: Guest

Sounds great!!!

Wish I could see her in Sydney... the ticket price scared me right off.

I was a bit skeptical about how good she'd be live... after I watched her DVD "live from Austin, TX" which I found extremely boring.
acb
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 11:45:33 AM

I've been trying to keep a lid on my excitement after the disappointment of a few years back, but Pete has put paid to all that!

I'll be at the Enmore Monday and both BF shows - I believe she will be worth the full price of BF admission alone.

Andrew
BuWho2
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 12:40:49 PM

If that doesn't get you pumped I don't know what will, it's going to be a cracker!
kai
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 2:53:35 PM

I play a great track of hers on my radio show where she covers a Howling Wolf song ... listen to it! Link below.

Byron Bay BluesFest 2009 Countdown Session

http://huffa_puffa.podomatic.com/

The Blues Room
Community Radio Hamilton, NZ
Wednesday 9pm to 10pm
AM1206 & FM106.7
And LIVE online www.communityradio.co.nz

Musical Sauce: Blues/Soul/Swing & Ska/Reggae/Rocksteady/Dub
gerardf
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:15:40 AM

Saw her at The Enmore Theatre last night. Fantastic, everything Pete said plus an all covers encore, can't remember them but there was a Faces song in there. The band were extremely good and they all looked like they were having fun. Can't ait to see her again on the weekend (twice).

acb
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 10:07:24 AM

Indeed, Gerard, indeed - great show last night. Set list (and one for Canberra) posted on Lucinda's website forum. Interesting to see the variety - she could well do 2 quite different sets at the fest (here's hoping).

While fantasising, how about Buick 6 slipping in a short set of their instrumentals somewhere over the weekend?

Flying up tomorrow and very excited!

Andrew
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 10:13:45 AM

Every Picture Tells a Story (actually a Rod Stewart album, but Faces backing ( I think))
Wasn't expecting a Joan Jett lookalike but fabulous show but why did I need to walk to the shop for a Sausage Roll afterwards?
Buick 6 change of gear( Genre not dress) was masterful, love the double drummers bit. Great value.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
ScottM
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 6:52:12 PM

As someone who decided to catch both of Lucinda's sets at the festival and sacrifice forking out for the Sydney show as well, 2 entirely different sets would be great. Some common tracks on both nights are no problem of course, and given that I am a much bigger fan now than I was at the time of the 2004 cancellation, I'm happy to get whatever I can.
gerardf
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 8:06:31 PM

ScottM, you won't be disappointed. As long as she gets the right guitar and lyric sheets!.................... I did feel she was just going through the motions on Rightously (she seemed to need to look at the words a lot!).

dtucker
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 1:06:25 AM

I saw Lucinda, along with Roseanne Cash and Mary Chapin Carpenter, a long time back (1990 maybe?) at Tweed Heads and it was one of the best shows I have seen. It's been a long, long wait but I'm looking forward so much to this weekend's two shows. They will be very different as the previous performance I saw was just the three woman singing (with beautiful harmonies) and playing acoustic guitar.

Hope to see you all there - I'll be the old bald guy right up the front.

d