Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Great idea Options
Maccain09
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:44:40 PM

Groups: Member

The 25th birthday of the festival - people who know me (as a festival expert) ask me "McCain how do we bring the X factor" I don't look at the acts - I look at facilities also - the answer is simple - a gaming lounge! Some of us are pushing on and use pokies to recharge so to speak! To rest the legs for a few hours but don't want to leave the festival and go to town to play the machines there? Even if the put 2 or 3 in the petrol station close by, so the oldies can have a bit of a zone out time. Someone once suggested a small weights room with a running machine and punch bag, or bring back the Pilates or Yoga classes they had a few years ago, Im not so sure re insurance costs and injury risks especially some drunk and stoned yobbo trying to squat 160kgs aiming to buff up before Ben Harper etc, I expect a positive response from the older punters re a few Queen of the Nile machines or Angry Anderson themed machines in the spirit of the festival or else a Bluesfest machine ?
skot20_58
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:56:09 PM

It seems the way things are going. +1

Dear Skot,
Are you going to be a goose all your life?
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:47:44 AM

A highway to Hell is where McPalin is taking us.

..............................................................................................................................................

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
Brettjack
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:07:57 PM

Ha ha!

This IS a joke, right?

There is no "good" or "bad" music - there is just music.
Live and let live!
Maccain09
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:47:53 PM

Its a joke and unaustrailian that the namny state police dictate to us bluesfest regulars where and when we can have a bet! The festival is held over the Easter racing carnival. (I have no real interest in the ponies outside of groups and stakes races) so there should be at least some coverage of the group one action on the Sat so we can all celebrate our own uniquely australian racing traditions! A tab machine by the phone charging tent wouldn't kill anyone, and a tent or even transform the lotus lounge to fit a few machines. Lets say up the back of the room or on a patio type station so gaming enthusiasts can enjoy a smoke and a drink and a play? Some of us older lads like a rest if you haven't noticed (the chairs in the tents might be a giveaway). The only joke is that's the festival doesn't have these essential facilities already !
waffles
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:50:43 PM

realistically,i dont think bluesfest could get a tab licence. but an onsite sp bookie could be easily done. ill talk to a friend of a friend,im sure for a small fee we can come to some arrangement.hopefully our own tent with a few screens.

I don't want to hang up my rock n roll shoes
I get a good time feeling every time I hear those blues.
greybeard
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:56:59 PM

Being old enough to remember The Pub Rock Scene and the groups this movement fostered and the insidious strangulation of it's very life brought on by grubby politicians giving Pubs a free go with pokies and TAB facilities, I for one avoid all venues where these vices are blatant and unavoidable. McPalin calls Australia a Nanny State, when in fact laws are written to be ignored ~ no-one can tell me RSA is practised at 2am in any given Pub on any given morning.

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
colinsid
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:10:33 AM

Plenty of pokies in Byron, Mullumbimby or Brunswick Heads so no problem with feeding addictions.
Pokies "essential" facilities & all this time I thought the ony thing that was essential is those little oil bottles they sell in incense shops.
I am all for the Easter Racing Carnival being shown at Bluesfest providing Bluesfest is broadcast at the Easter Racing Carnival, only fair.
I also believe there are several Rugby League, Rugby Union, F1, Moto GP, international cricket matches, soccer matches, AFL, netball, basketball & tiddly winks all played over the Easter weekend so why not broadcast these as well, with betting provisions as well. Mojo would nbe a good venue, already has the screens.

Greybeard whilst we are old enough to remember the Pub Rock Scene & pine for it's return, a lot of people older than us have no interest in live music. A recent discussion with my parents wwho were happy for all the pokies because it meant cheap meals for pensioners. (Even though I pointed, except for "Specials" days, most of these meals aren't any cheaper than you would get in local cafe or family restaurant.)