Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Honest Feedback 2013 Options
josyeek
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 11:24:18 AM
Groups: Member

Okay, being an event organiser at major events in Brisbane myself I truly have some honest constructive feedback for organisers.

1) Chairs - something seriously needs to be done about the space occupied by chair wa*kers, the Mojo Stage was out of control with chairs this year, on the last day I went in early (1pm) to see a couple of acts, set my chair up and chilled, there was still plenty of room for more chairs and plenty of standing room at this stage (I was more than willing to stand if needed). Around me were loads of empty chairs all set up and I did happen to overhear a number of people say they were setting up for Paul Simon later that night, some 7+ hours later in the day. Across the whole weekend I saw only two acts at the Mojo Stage due to overcrowding because of chairs. Sound is terrible at this stage if you are at the back of the marquee or outside it. Some large screens need to be erected towards the back of the marquee along with speakers.

2) High traffic areas when wet - bus and toilet areas need some sort of raised flooring right from the get go not after it starts raining, pallets were used as a pathway to/from the bus drop off worked a treat but weren't put in until after the first lot of rain.

3) Alcohol ran out on the last couple of days - this is not acceptable, drink tickets are not refundable and I personally lost over $55 as I wasn't able to get the drink I wanted on the last day after being told to go to another bar and then finally offered 2 x wines or 2 x beers for 1 x spirit ticket.

4) Transport to/from the festival - I would seriously look at incorporating bus fare with the ticket price similar to what they do for all major events in Brisbane. I never really had to wait too long for a bus in or out of the festival with the exception of going into the festival on Friday and home one night after a bus came of the ramp on the way out of the festival.

5) Security at bars - to obtain an ADULT wrist band you need to produce ID on your first day attending the festival, why then are young people continually asked to produce their ID to bar security staff, shouldn't the ADULT wrist band suffice? My daughter was asked to produce ID every time she went to the bar, pointed out that her wrist band clearly says ADULT but was refused entry to the bar - completely defeated the purpose of the ADULT wrist band. I did like that there were RSA Marshals at the bars I thought that was a great idea.

6) Food - I found there to be a fantastic range of food available and never really had to wait too long to get something.

7) Amenities - ladies toilets (I can't comment on the men's as I did not use them) hard to find one that had toilet paper, many were backed up on several days across the festival.

8) Question - was there a group or single guy collecting money for the homeless during the festival? We were approached a few times buy a fellow collecting for the homeless who had a badge of some sort, however I find it hard to believe he was legit, this fellow had a lot, I mean a lot of cash on him. Perhaps Bluesfest could put signage at the entry gate promoting their chosen charity/ies so we know who is legit.

All in all a good event, I didn't see one fight and for an event that big across 5 days I find that astounding, just lots of happy people having a great time enjoying themselves.
mpember
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 3:16:14 PM

josyeek wrote:
Perhaps Bluesfest could put signage at the entry gate promoting their chosen charity/ies so we know who is legit.

The official partnership has (always?) been with Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. They hold a raffle and the price is usually a guitar signed by as many artists as they can get.
greybeard
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:59:07 PM

Charities

African Leaf
Aunty Program
Bay FM
NRCF (Northern River's Community Foundation - East Coast Blues sub fund)
Byron Bay Public School
Coorabell Public School
Cystic Fibrosis
Newyrbar Public School
Byron Bay Board Rider inc.
Rainforest Rescue
Byron Bay Soccer Club
St. Finbarrs Catholic School
Starlight Foundation
The Pink Ladies
The Thin Green Line Foundation
Uncle Program
Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter
Yaowawit Orphanage
http://www.bluesfest.com.au/pages/?ParentPageID=1&PageID=7

Heading out for the East Coast / Lord knows I've paid some dues gettin' through, / Tangled up in blues.
timcook123
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:37:18 AM

Question - was there a group or single guy collecting money for the homeless during the festival? We were approached a few times buy a fellow collecting for the homeless who had a badge of some sort, however I find it hard to believe he was legit, this fellow had a lot, I mean a lot of cash on him. Perhaps Bluesfest could put signage at the entry gate promoting their chosen charity/ies so we know who is legit.

Was he the guy with all the smile tickets? he does seem a bit suspect

When you're lost in the rain in Juarez
And it's Eastertime too
And your gravity fails
And negativity don't pull you through
Don't put on any airs
When you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue
They got some hungry women there
And they really make a mess outta you.

B. Dylan