Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Missed Opportunities Options
psulli12
Posted: Thursday, April 04, 2013 12:41:42 PM
Groups: Member

I am hearing a lot of reports that the newer artists on the smaller stages really impressed this year.
It was great to see artists playing their first Bluesfests, such as Ben Caplan, Rufus Wainwright and Ben Howard receiving such a strong reception.

This got me thinking about some of the amazing blues, alt- country and folk shows I have seen over the past few years and how well they would suit Bluesfest.
Band Of Horses, Alabama Shakes, Gary Clarke Jnr, Jim Ward, Sharon Van Etten, First Aid Kit, Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros and Father John Misty have have all be ridiculously good.

Many of these artists though, were playing on the side stage at festivals to 20 and 30 people.
These are artists who have release albums in the past year to critical acclaim, being called the future of folk or the next Jimi Hendrix.

It begs the question why weren't they playing at Byron Bay Bluesfest?
Surely these artists are on the booking agents radar.
Perhaps Bluesfest was outbid for these bands?
Maybe they chose to go old favourites over new and exciting. I imagine it is easier to sell a band thats played 3 times then deal with new ones.
It is very much possible that an April festival just didn't fit into some of these acts touring schedules. I know many bands choose to tour Australia over the Summer. Though Father John Misty was in Australia touring in late March and Bobby Womack is touring in May. (my two favourite albums of 2012- I thought they were a shoe-in.)

I would love to know what the rest of the forum thinks.
Would you rather see a critically acclaimed band putting a new spin on the blues genre or Trombone Shorty three years in a row.
Sure, its great that Ben Harper and Michael Franti love to come out here every two years but isn't that a tad formulaic?

Bluesfest is the best Blues oriented festival in Australia and lineups should reflect that; with not just massive headliners but also the up and comers (of which there are many).
I just don't want to see it turn predictable.

anyway, rant over.
discuss.